Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    And he has such an epic supporting cast as well. Instead everyone has a hard on for Black Adam, who don't get me wrong, is cool and all but is best written as a dark counterpart instead of the main attraction. And then there's Sivana, the original mad scientist, Captain Nazi, Marvel Jr, Mary, tawny, the Rock of Eternity

All I'm saying is, if Aquaman can become a billion dollar franchise, Captain Marvel not even headlining his own solo is frankly, criminal
    Iii... don't have a lot of hopes for that Shazam movie if I'm going to be honest. I'll be happy to be pleasantly surprised, but it being some kind of colossal megahit is the only hope in hell Billy has of ever even maybe getting decent writing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Iii... don't have a lot of hopes for that Shazam movie if I'm going to be honest. I'll be happy to be pleasantly surprised, but it being some kind of colossal megahit is the only hope in hell Billy has of ever even maybe getting decent writing again.
    The critics are actually raving about how good it is. The embargo doesn't lift until March 23rd but check out twitter. I haven't seen one negative critic.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    The critics are actually raving about how good it is. The embargo doesn't lift until March 23rd but check out twitter. I haven't seen one negative critic.
    I more mean financially, WB has barely been promoting it and the estimates for its opening weekend are somewhat mediocre as they currently stand. I'm hoping they step that up in the next few weeks before it releases.

I more mean financially, WB has barely been promoting it and the estimates for its opening weekend are somewhat mediocre as they currently stand. I'm hoping they step that up in the next few weeks before it releases.
    Considering that it's being released four weeks after "Captain Marvel" and three weeks before "Endgame", I'm not seeing it being a raving hit. But I read somewhere that it cost $75-85 million to make, very lightweight by today's standards for a superhero movie. So if it makes $200 million total, it will still be considered a success. I think that, given the WB's choice to release it against such insane competition, that's all they are demanding is that it makes a profit. Hopefully, it will and there will be more Capt- ahem, Shazam movies.
    Power with Girl is better.

The budget for shazam is low. So it doesn't need to do huge herculean numbers to do well. The main point is to go from lighthearted to serious,but not BvS serious. He cannot be joking and acting like an awestruck idiot the whole time.
    Last edited by HATEISFOREVER; 03-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.

BANNED

I keep imagining a fight where they keep punching each other to space(only for the knocked up opponent to return at super speed) without a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Considering that it's being released four weeks after "Captain Marvel" and three weeks before "Endgame", I'm not seeing it being a raving hit. But I read somewhere that it cost $75-85 million to make, very lightweight by today's standards for a superhero movie. So if it makes $200 million total, it will still be considered a success. I think that, given the WB's choice to release it against such insane competition, that's all they are demanding is that it makes a profit. Hopefully, it will and there will be more Capt- ahem, Shazam movies.
    That relegates it to a sort of second tier afterthought though is my annoyance there.

That relegates it to a sort of second tier afterthought though is my annoyance there.
    Maybe, but it seems to be that their target audience is younger kids (well younger than the MCU crowd) so it doesn't have to compete against those two.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I think Shazam (the film) is a good move by DC films.

It's effectively their shot at the Deadpool angle; low budget, slightly more comedic/deconstructionist take on the genre, charismatic lead with quotable lines and so on.

I don't know if it'll be as wildly successful as Deadpool was but I think it will do solid work and, fortunately, due to the lower budget it doesn't have to set the world on fire to be successful.

Which worked out OK for Deadpool, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    It used to be until around 2012 where they just changed it to Shazam.
    I refuse to call him that he's Captain Marvel!

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Which is frankly all bollocks.

In summary, what they’re saying is “Umm... some people who are just guessing might possibly think he’s also called Shazam but not really anybody who actually knows the character at all and there’s... err... some reasons, and... ah... we’ve gradually moved towards this for a while by putting Shazam on the covers, so we’ve self-justified this whole thing, and we’re not at all going to mention that the name is just like our big rivals who’ve also had about a bazillion (5?) characters called Captain Marvel.”

Is Mary now called Mary Shazam? Is Freddy now Shazam Jr.? How does that stuff even work?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Which is frankly all bollocks.

In summary, what they’re saying is “Umm... some people who are just guessing might possibly think he’s also called Shazam but not really anybody who actually knows the character at all and there’s... err... some reasons, and... ah... we’ve gradually moved towards this for a while by putting Shazam on the covers, so we’ve self-justified this whole thing, and we’re not at all going to mention that the name is just like our big rivals who’ve also had about a bazillion (5?) characters called Captain Marvel.”

Is Mary now called Mary Shazam? Is Freddy now Shazam Jr.? How does that stuff even work?
    "Cost a lotta money to keep fighting with Marvel."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    To be fair, Mary Shazam is an awesome name.