Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Anyone think Steve will not be Cap in the comics after Endgame comes out?

It’s pretty obvious that Cap will not have a happy end at the end of the film, and I it’s Evans’ contract up it’s likely there won’t be a Steve Rogers in the movies for a long time. Does anyone think Marvel will once again use this as an opportunity to remove Steve from the mantle for another few years? I love Cap. He’s my favorite character, but I’ve learned not to get too comfortable with his book lately.

It's possible, but if it does happen, I doubt it'll be permanent. Marvel has tried to make someone else Captain America in the past. It has never lasted for too long. Eventually, Steve Rogers is the one who wields the shield.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I don't think they'll replace Steve again unless there is a new Captain America film that features someone else wielding the shield.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I don't think Marvel is trying that hard to match the comics with the MCU anymore.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I also don’t think its very obvious that Cap won’t have a happy ending. There’s something about his past films and “always having a war to fight” / not knowing what makes him happy that says to me he’ll finally be able to find peace.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

He's practically the face of the MCU. It's not like he has 20 books. Marvel stopped or diminished comics of characters who made them look bad because their media wasn't up to par (Fox). Captain America doesn't fall into that category.

Steve's been getting taken off the board a lot recently but if the MCU has no Cap, the books will still have a Cap, and if they have a Cap but it's Sam or Buckz, they'll just push them separately alongside Steve or just have two Caps at the very most.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    It’s pretty obvious that Cap will not have a happy end at the end of the film, and I it’s Evans’ contract up it’s likely there won’t be a Steve Rogers in the movies for a long time. Does anyone think Marvel will once again use this as an opportunity to remove Steve from the mantle for another few years?
    No, not at all.

People way, way, way over exaggerate the level at which the comics follow the lead of the movies.

We've already had Steve out of the picture for an extended time in the comics just recently. Coates current run is heavily focused on Steve and is clearly trucking along very well and from the amount of plot tracks that Coates is laying down for the future, it shows that there is a long range plan in mind.

So, Steve is sticking around in the comics.

And even in the movies, I wouldn't make too many assumptions ahead of time.

I'm sure it's inevitable that Steve will surrender the Cap mantle because at this point that's just a thing he seems to do every so often.

But that said, I think it's too soon. I think they would sooner have 2 Caps running around (like Spider-Man) than have Cap give it up again.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It's about five minutes in comic time since Steve stopped being a Nazi so... no.

Technically, Steve isn't Cap right now since he's in jail.

I wouldn't mind seeing USAgent get some use for a bit in the mean time.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I do think that the movies will end up handing the shield to either Bucky or Falcon, and when that happens, they'll get a comic to match. But that doesn't mean Steve will quit. That'd be retreading old ground (Bucky first became Cap because Steve was believed to be dead, and Sam got the shield because Steve was depowered and aged - and when Steve did return to duty, it was the Hydra imposter). Instead, there should simply be two Captain Americas.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I had not thought about it...but there is a chance Steve won't be CA, but maybe he will take up another mantle.

I honestly don't think Marvel is in a rush to do anymore replacement stories anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think Marvel is trying that hard to match the comics with the MCU anymore.
    (looks at current comic Shuri)

Well maybe not as hard, but still kind of trying .

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    (Looks at trailer) Something tells me Hawkeye is about to retire to spend time with the daughter he never knew he had.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-14-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest