Default Age of X-Man: Marvelous X-Men #2 (spoilers/discussion)

For spoiler-box free discussion of the issue.

General question - it's easy to have a promising first issue, and just as easy to lose steam going into the second. Do folks feel like Nadler and Thompson delivered a strong follow-up with issue #2?

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I feel like this issue did lose some steam, but it isn't a bad issue, especially with X-Tracts as a companion piece.

It's fun to see some of Nate's control crumbling and he doesn't even really notice because he's so focused on Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    For spoiler-box free discussion of the issue.

General question - it's easy to have a promising first issue, and just as easy to lose steam going into the second. Do folks feel like Nadler and Thompson delivered a strong follow-up with issue #2?
    I wrote a lot about this in the other thread, but mostly I think that after the first issue this title is now entirely dependent on every other ongoing mini - maybe more so than the other minis are dependent on it...if that makes any sense.

To me, this whole AU is meant to be read in digital format and in order of every single series release. The writers seem to be working in a nearly improvisational format that's exciting, conversational and fresh. There's a bunch of talent working here and I really like this mode for an AU.

Unfortunately I don't read digital comics. Reading this as a stand alone comic in print is...well, even the actual staples are kinda hastily placed. Its got a sales flyer quality...bad ink, could-care-less cut, coupons and such.

But also, this issue seemed to think I'd get what it means...which is to say, it doesn't do much work.

Yet it's possibly meant to serve as an interlude to the second act really? Like a chorus...if I were reading this play-out in digital format that is.
    Last edited by sungila; 03-14-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    I wrote a lot about this in the other thread, but mostly I think that after the first issue this title is now entirely dependent on every other ongoing mini - maybe more so than the other minis are dependent on it...if that makes any sense.

To me, this whole AU is meant to be read in digital format and in order of every single series release. The writers seem to be working in a nearly improvisational format that's exciting, conversational and fresh. There's a bunch of talent working here and I really like this mode for an AU.

Unfortunately I don't read digital comics. Reading this as a stand alone comic in print is...well, even the actual staples are kinda hastily placed. Its got a sales flyer quality...bad ink, could-care-less cut, coupons and such.

But also, this issue seemed to think I'd get what it means...which is to say, it doesn't do much work.

Yet it's possibly meant to serve as an interlude to the second act really? Like a chorus...if I were reading this play-out in digital format that is.
    I don't think this is bad, just what this series is. This issue especially was better if you havery read everything else, especially Department X and X-Tracts.

This is a true collaboration between all these great creators, but at the same time, it does create this problem where every issue is important.

I liked this! It got more interesting when it focused on Magneto and I hope next issue focuses on Storm. Looks like these two characters might get some drama which is a fantastic idea. Ending with Nietzsche quote was the icing on the cake.