Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Age of X-Man: Apocalypse and the X-Tracts #1 (spoilers/discussion)

For me, this was actually the AoXM issue that strayed furthest from what I was expecting. Not in a bad way, mind you, I just expected this to be the book that went hardest at the absurdity of Nate's enforced celibacy edict, but it turned out to be pretty creepy. Was anyone else expecting more humor?

I didn't even put this book on my pull list, but I browsed it at the store and decided to buy it. It has been my favorite Age of X-man issue so far. I really liked the story and the characters. I loved Kitty in this book. I think this art house feel to the X-books has been pretty strange (hopefully in a good way but I'm uncertain so far), but this story worked for me.

I felt the Xtremist had too much humor. This book was more my style. I also appreciated Prisoner X. I'm enjoying the secondary books a lot more than Marvelous X-Men.

I was happy for the small things in this issue such as the use of Kitty's codename: Shadowcat.

Extraordinary Member

I really liked this book, but the art really got to me. The panels almost seem too big throughout, which made this issue go really quick.

Other than that, I had fun. We haven't seen Apocalypse in so long and what this and Marvelous do very well is show that it isn't his brute strength or powers that make him a threat, but his charisma and people skills. He knows what people want and gives it to them.

I know everyone here loves Kitty and Dazzler, but I came to the book because I got into comics not that long ago, around 2009, a few years before Uncanny X-Force, which still remains one of my favorite runs. I was very excited to see Genesis and Eye Boy. Like many of us, I was traumatized by the presumed death of Trevor a few months ago, so seeing him alive and well and oddly relevant is great. Trevor's powers may make him not ideal for combat, but as a support character he has a ton of untapped potential.

Of course, I love Evan. He is one of my favorite new characters, so when I found out that both he and Apocalypse would finally be sharing a book, I was psyched.I wasn't expecting what we got between the two of them, but it's pretty disturbing to me, mostly because we know that Evan has wanted to avoid being Apocalypse for his entire life. I mean, yeah, he's much more aggressive than we normally see him, but he still wants to be a hero and respect from those he looks up to. And Apocalypse knows that.

I know a lot of fans think that old Nur might actually love Evan, but as we see in Marvelous, he still has access to Celestial tech, meaning that he also still probably still needs a new body now and then. But even if that doesn't happen, it's never safe to trust a man who made a name for himself by manipulating weak and vulnerable people into selling themselves to him.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

This was a very fun and intriguing take on things

I like Apocalypse of all characters as basically a pro-Free Love quasi-hippie type leading a cultish group towards Mass Liberation and expanded consciousness...

All the psychedelic imagery helps a lot with getting into the vibe for this book, really cool contrast with the other books honestly. Like this book is in total opposition to X-Tremists more or less, showing the Resistance vs the Enforcers. I like how the characters of this book are coming into things fully aware of the situation and wanting to change it, though at the same time not cognizant of their old selves in the canon. So it's like their AU versions simply took a more rebellious turn on their own. Helps to skip past all the slow repetitive "Wait... something is wrong here" which all the other books seem to be doing! These characters KNOW it's wrong and are trying to CHANGE it. Refreshing and more action-based
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Well, this was decidedly... different. While I found aspects to the art that could be appreciated--like the colors, which I thought had plenty of pizzazz--I was still somewhat at odds with it in several spots.

The story tho, as an intro to their corner of AoXM, was pretty solid. The initial previews pages with Dazzler, the united inhale of Unveil, and the abrupt, tonal change of pace ending with Omega Red, were standouts for me.

I liked the implications here:

... that Unveil's abilities basically enshroud their partakers, and seemingly dispel any mental deception(s) in the process. Also, that the for all intents & purposes Horsemen...

... now tagged as "Light Riders", were referred to as prophets.

Lots of subtle subversiveness & mild, yet meaningful messaging were to be found throughout. And Espin's depiction of AoXM's En Sabah Nur in particular, was slightly unsettling in its severity, on a regular basis. Which contrasted with & directly contradicted quite nicely, the premise of the proceedings, IMO.

BANNED

Am unable to locate a pic of the hidden, secret Pacheco cover for this by the usual means, or even an alternate source, as of yet.

Note in that image above, Apocalypse says he'll "... broadcast (their message)... to every willing mind."

Never thought of it before, but if you say SabahNur really fast, sounds like... saboteur.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, Apocalypse just almost doesn't look real. It doesn't help that Evan, his clone, doesn't delve into the Uncanny Valley.

It's his eyes and mouth for me. His blue lips and lines always look a bit unsettling, but here they give him almost a smile he doesn't have. And his eyes look like they never blink.

And then you have his size. We are used to seeing Evan look small, but Apocalypse should be larger than life and just big. Also, there's always been some question of if Evan could be using his powers look smaller and less intimidating than he is, so could Apocalypse be doing the same?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Am unable to locate a pic of the hidden, secret Pacheco cover for this by the usual means, or even an alternate source, as of yet.

Note in that image above, Apocalypse says he'll "... broadcast (their message)... to every willing mind."

Never thought of it before, but if you say SabahNur really fast, sounds like... saboteur.
    I said Sabah Nur really fast eleven times before my tongue got tied and can confirm this. Good catch! Poccy's name is so much fun even if it isn't correct.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I said Sabah Nur really fast eleven times before my tongue got tied and can confirm this. Good catch! Poccy's name is so much fun even if it isn't correct.
    HA!! ThanX! AND:

... persistence pays off.

That secret cover brings about all kinds of awesome imaginings for AoXM, when it starts barreling towards the finish line.

Ya know, when Apocalypse talks about Omega Red towards the end, and war... I got the impression he hasn't changed really, all that much. Love & romance, my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    HA!! ThanX! AND:

... persistence pays off.

That secret cover brings about all kinds of awesome imaginings for AoXM, when it starts barreling towards the finish line.

Ya know, when Apocalypse talks about Omega Red towards the end, and war... I got the impression he hasn't changed really, all that much. Love & romance, my ass.
    OMG Apocalypse sitting on Blob's belly hahahahahahah

Well Apocalypse using love and peace to screw around to his plans would be good.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

The way I think this AU version of Apoc is consonant with his canon version is that by trying to bring about love and intimacy and connections etc in a way it's kind of En Sabah trying to once more "accelerate evolution" like he views Nate's utopic world as too stagnant or frozen, bereft of possibilities and change. So Apoc as a Free Love Hippie radical actually does work with his normal interpretation in some ways, there is no need to have him "revert" to a "Big Bad" in this book but if it happens, it does
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Apocalypse being taken down multiple times before actually makes him much less of a threat. Awful variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Apocalypse being taken down multiple times before actually makes him much less of a threat. Awful variant.
    I wonder why he isn't on prison

Extraordinary Member

616 Apocalypse is pretty much a failure anyways. That's just sort of who he is.

And sending him to prison would be an awful, awful idea. He'd just radicalize the prisoners and ruin their chances of "rehabilitation." Plus, you'd just end up having to find a way to keep him depowered, which given what his powers actually do, would be really hard.

Keeping him out of the prison is dangerous, but not an awful idea when you can just have Department X keep dealing with him. The issue is that Apocalypse is apparently learning from these attempts and is learning from his mistakes.

From these past variants and what we see from Bishop, it seems like Apocalypse tried to use more traditional Horsemen in the past. He was his violent old self. This time he is acting much more benign, his Horsemen are much more less likely to attract attention, and he's actually creating a rift in the X-Men by not being an outright threat.

Event Department X is going to trouble with him this time.

Of course, I think Apocalypse is actually quite aware of these failures and that's why he's positioning himself like this. It's also why he's seeking out an ally like Omega Red.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The way I think this AU version of Apoc is consonant with his canon version is that by trying to bring about love and intimacy and connections etc in a way it's kind of En Sabah trying to once more "accelerate evolution" like he views Nate's utopic world as too stagnant or frozen, bereft of possibilities and change. So Apoc as a Free Love Hippie radical actually does work with his normal interpretation in some ways, there is no need to have him "revert" to a "Big Bad" in this book but if it happens, it does
    Yes, same goals, different means. Whatever he ultimately does, it could still remain open to interpretation, considering AoXM's foundation & framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    ... Apocalypse is apparently learning from these attempts and is learning from his mistakes. ...

... is actually quite aware of these failures and that's why he's positioning himself like this. It's also why he's seeking out an ally like Omega Red.
    Somebody gets it:
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-17-2019 at 01:37 AM.