Nebula

by Dead-Jilly

Avengers #257 Page 11 Nebula First Appearance

(John Buscema, Tom Palmer) (1985) Comic Art

Captain Marvel

by Dead-Jilly

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Ravonna? Like the person the comicbook character Nebula will eventually become later in life? Just like the comicbook character Kang eventually becomes the comicbook character Immortus?
    Was that retconned at some point? Ravonna is the person Kang falls in love with. I knew she took the name Nebula when fighting the Avengers. But I've never seen anything to say she was actually Nebula, "the granddaughter of Thanos," that we see in the comics.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I first came to know the OG Nebula before she became the "Twisted Sister" of the MCU, just the Space Pirate Self-Proclaimed Granddaughter of Thanos.
    I thought MCU Nebula was headed in the Space Pirate direction when she linked up with the Ravagers in GotG Vol.2...alas...

Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-28-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Favorite Nebula comic book covers:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Was that retconned at some point? Ravonna is the person Kang falls in love with. I knew she took the name Nebula when fighting the Avengers. But I've never seen anything to say she was actually Nebula, "the granddaughter of Thanos," that we see in the comics.
    You are correct. In Walter Simonson's AVENGERS run they team was torn apart by a woman called Nebula, who was a rogue member of the Cross-Time Council of Kangs. She seduced Dr. Druid and used his mind control powers, along with her advanced tech, to control the minds of the rest of the Avengers.

Simonson intended for that to be the real Nebula, who had last been seen in Roger Stern's run when the Beyonder banished her across the universe. There were some dialogue references that show she was intended to be the same Nebula.

But when John Byrne took over both AVENGERS and WEST COAST AVENGERS, he decided to go in a different direction with Nebula. He brought back Nebula the way she had appeared in Stern's run, and when members of the Avengers questioned her about the events of Simonson's run, Nebula had no idea what they were talking about.

Mark Gruenwald later established that the "Kang Nebula" who appeared in Simonson's run was actually Ravonna, and gave her a new codename of Terminatrix.

in the movies, is there any way to restore Nebula physically so that she's not such a cyborg?

Sure, you could use the Infinity Stones!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    in the movies, is there any way to restore Nebula physically so that she's not such a cyborg?
    In theory they could give her prosthetics that are designed to look more like her flesh. With the right alien tech they could even clone new limbs for her to replace the artificial ones. But her MCU appearance is based on her current 616 comics look, which is how she has mostly appeared since the mid-90s. No one seems too interested in changing it anytime soon.

Nebula & Gamora by Andy Park

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

So the way she looks now was created by the MCU?
    Baby Thanos

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

No. It happened after Infinity Gauntlet. Basically, she was badly injured (For reasons I can't quite recall) and the second in command of her ship took her to someone who could heal her, but he was a cybernetic engineer who basically added a ton of machinery to do so. This would have been the early 90s if it was post-Gauntlet.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I dunno why anyone would want that; her look in the MCU is amazing.

Giving her hair would probably make things easier for Karen Gillan. For Guardians 1 she had to shave her head.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    No. It happened after Infinity Gauntlet. Basically, she was badly injured (For reasons I can't quite recall) and the second in command of her ship took her to someone who could heal her, but he was a cybernetic engineer who basically added a ton of machinery to do so. This would have been the early 90s if it was post-Gauntlet.
    Silver Surfer #69-72 in 1992
    https://www.looper.com/119176/untold-truth-nebula/

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-02-2019 at 01:46 PM.

What I would have liked to have happened to Nebula in the MCU.

Firstly, what I loved about Nebula in GOTG1 was her single mindedness, and scariness ordering everyone out of her way. She had control, until she was in Thanos’ presence.

I wanted Nebula to continue those traits, not lose them when she and Gamora became sisters. A soppy Nebula does not go well. Retain the pushy Nebula even if her and Gamora are friends, and use it as a veneer.