Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default James Gunn returning to direct Guardians vol. 3

https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-g...es-1202576444/

Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated James Gunn as the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

The decision to rehire Gunn –he was fired last July by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape — was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

Hope that's true; of all the various creators who've had skeletons taken out of their closets and lost their jobs over it, I think he was one of the very few who deserved a second chance. I also was really looking forward to his third Guardians movie and was sorry to hear that it might not happen.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

That entire thing was unnecessary. Some nothingburger that blew up.

Still I am glad that we're getting James Gunn's Guardians 3.

I echo these sentiments. Hopefully sanity has prevailed. This was a ridiculous storm in a teacup based on deleted social media that some very malicious people saved to use against him later out of context.

so will the... folks... who started the dustup still be trying to sabotage the project online, just like with Captain Marvel? this is still going to get ugly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so will the... folks... who started the dustup still be trying to sabotage the project online, just like with Captain Marvel? this is still going to get ugly.
    They'd have to also complain about Gunn writing and directing Suicide Squad. And complain about Brightburn, and essentially complain that multiple studios are ok with hiring Gunn and also complain about the fact that the public seems very cool with it.

So no, it won't get ugly. And trying to sabotage Captain Marvel online didn't work out so well for anyone, did it?

Neat
    Cool
    Lit
    Dope
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Given how badly the efforts to sabotage Captain Marvel have crashed and burned, I wouldn't worry about much.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Given how badly the efforts to sabotage Captain Marvel have crashed and burned, I wouldn't worry about much.
    I would still worry. Their new tactic is that Disney is "lying" about the box office numbers (they have posted supposedly real images of empty theatres showing Captain Marvel), I kid you not. Hardcore fanatics NEVER give up. lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Well look at that. I guess the snap can be undone after all.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I would still worry. Their new tactic is that Disney is "lying" about the box office numbers (they have posted supposedly real images of empty theatres showing Captain Marvel), I kid you not. Hardcore fanatics NEVER give up. lol.
    This is the consequence of our Agent Orange POTUS with his "Fake News" mantra. And wasn't it the Daily Caller, founded by Trump toady Tucker Carlson that started the campaign against Gunn? I'm glad that Carlson's in a bit of hot water with tapes that have turned up on him from his radio appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This is the consequence of our Agent Orange POTUS with his "Fake News" mantra. And wasn't it the Daily Caller, founded by Trump toady Tucker Carlson that started the campaign against Gunn? I'm glad that Carlson's in a bit of hot water with tapes that have turned up on him from his radio appearances.
    I must refrain from talking about actual political figures (I have been warned for doing so in the past by the mods), however, I will say if one watches crap like cable news (Fox, MSNBC & CNN) followed by Youtube all day long your mind cannot help but be a cesspool.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-16-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member

i am extremely glad that Gunn is back for this (gutted that we have to wait until probably 2022 for gotg3 though) but I don't see that Disney had much choice if they wanted to make the movie, especially as they were always planning to use his script. Publicly many of the directors that could have possibly taken over (ie. watiti, favreau) have mentioned they wouldn't have been interested as it was 'James baby'. But I half suspect that they were not keen on picking it up as the blow back if it wasn't up to scratch would be huge. A lot of Gunn fans would have treated any other director's work harshly. And who wants to be the guy/girl that directs the worst of the 3 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Time to ignore the online trolls, specially the news sites that keep reporting.

now Gunn has two major movies liked up to direct.

Eh. GotG 2 was a horrible abortion of a movie. Couldn't care less about former comments of his. It's making a **** movie that should've gotten him fired.
    #EmmaWasRight