Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'd list Batman as first and Superman as second. I think Batman and Superman are the only DC heroes with really great rogues galleries. I know people like Flash's a lot, but I never saw anything there that really hooked me. Green Lantern has a few great ones, like Sinestro, Krona, and Manhunters, but all the others are lame, like Goldface, or too derivative and redundant, like the emotional spectrum characters.

Most of the other DC heroes have only one villain that is any good, like Black Manta or Black Adam, if even that.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Say what?

Aside from maybe Killer Frost, who else is there really worth mentioning in terms of Firestorm's foes in comparison to, say, Green Lantern's, Captain Marvel/Shazam!'s, Wonder Woman's, and Aquaman's famous badguys?

It's in the variety of villains, not how famous they are. To me Multiplex is his best villain, not Killer Frost. There is also Hyena, Cliff Carmichael(Thinker), Tokamak, Black Bison, Firehawk who are all really different from each other.

my vote goes for the flash rogues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    but the New Teen Titans era had a pretty decent collection of baddies,
    Not really apart from Deathstroke and maybe Cheshire (and the Brotherhood of Evil but those guys are originally Doom Patrol villains), they didn't stood the test of time.

For solo heroes, it's Batman and the Flash. They have the largest, best, and longest running Rogues' Galleries. Except for Luthor and Brainiac, Superman's Rogues don't get really good until the Byrne reboot. A lot of Superman's pre-Crisis villains are goofy.

For teams, it's the Legion of Super-Heroes followed by New Teen Titans in terms of villains who were great right from their first appearances without needing refurbishing.

1. Batman: they function great as rivals/ mirrors of the hero and many are interesting just by themselves.
    2. Flash: I don't even read the Flash, but his rogues are so unique in how they relate to each other and to Flash.
    3. Superman: There's his Big 3 then it's a steep dropoff from there, but his top 3 are just that strong.
    4. Green Lantern: I love the variety, from universal theats, space baddies to earthbound.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    ...A lot of Superman's pre-Crisis villains are goofy...
    Surely you don't mean this guy?
    Image.jpg

I mean, Batman has objectively the best rogues gallery in all of comics.

Wonder Woman has my favorite rogues, however. No other hero in comic book history has the amount of diverse and varying female villains among their roster of rogues. Other heroes have anywhere from a handful of prominent female villains (Batman) to absolutely none (I'm looking at you Spider-Man). But being a woman allows for Wonder Woman to interact with female baddies in a way that isn't just the male POV "femme fatale," and that's fantastic.

Boisterously Confused

Following Dick Tracy's lead, Batman got a head start on everybody else in building a rogues gallery, and has amassed an enormous collection (Joe Simon said that he and Kirby created The Red Skull along with Captain America in hopes of copying some of Batman's success by giving Cap a horrific contrasting foe from the get-go).

Flash and Green Lantern came out swinging with their Silver Age reboots, but never quiet caught up, and the intermittency of their published titles further held them back. Superman's writers made the mistake of doubling down on a few good ones rather than give The Man of Tomorrow a diverse set of enemies, and the same seems true of Wonder Woman.

One of the things that most interests me about Batman is that he's had some notable later additions to his enemies list at each stage of his published existence, such as Ras al Ghul and Talia, Poison Ivy, The Ventriloquist (perhaps my favorite) and Scarface, Bane, and the list just seems to keep going. I don't know if anyone else (with the possible exception of Superman's Cyborg-Henshaw) has added truly great villains since their early adventures, and none have done so as consistently as Batman.

The people to weep for are Green Arrow, Hawkman, Aquaman, and The Atom, whose bad-guy benches have always been pretty shallow (the last two in particular).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this is about right, but I'd put Superman at 2nd if only because of Luthor, Brainiac, and Zod.
    Yeah, it was REALLY close between those two. Superman's Silver Age foes, particularly the ones you mentioned, are great. I think maybe Flash and Superman would be tied and my preference would depend on how I feel on any given day

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I mean, Batman has objectively the best rogues gallery in all of comics.

Wonder Woman has my favorite rogues, however. No other hero in comic book history has the amount of diverse and varying female villains among their roster of rogues. Other heroes have anywhere from a handful of prominent female villains (Batman) to absolutely none (I'm looking at you Spider-Man). But being a woman allows for Wonder Woman to interact with female baddies in a way that isn't just the male POV "femme fatale," and that's fantastic.
    Agreed. Wonder Woman's is almost objectively not the best, but they are the ones I am most interested in and excited to see because of their rare appearances and untapped potential. As it stands, Batman's will always be my favorites, but I have more than enough story options and media for them so I don't dwell on them as much.

And yeah, what the hell is with Spider-Man and having no major female rogues? Superman at least has Livewire and Faora.
    Flash, meanwhile, needs to get more usage out of Blacksmith.

Batman
    Superman
    Flash

I think it’s hard to argue against those as the top 3. I’d add Wonder Woman then Green Lantern to make a top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not really apart from Deathstroke and maybe Cheshire (and the Brotherhood of Evil but those guys are originally Doom Patrol villains), they didn't stood the test of time.
    I'd throw Brother Blood, Blackfire, and maybe even the Fearsome Five there as well, at least if only because the cartoon managed to popularize all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And yeah, what the hell is with Spider-Man and having no major female rogues? Superman at least has Livewire and Faora.
    This reminds me of how they made Black Cat go full-on Supervillain and tried to turn her into a Queenpin and...Ugh. I'd rather Spidey have no female Rogues then go through that again.
    Flash, meanwhile, needs to get more usage out of Blacksmith.
    He also has Golden Glider.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Batman first, then The Flash is second.

(I'm not going to bother naming the favorite rogues for both of them.)
    Third this. I'd say Batman, Flash, and Superman are the only properties that have really strong rogues' galleries.

Leaving out teams, here are my rankings for the top 10...

1. Batman
    2. Flash
    3. Superman
    4. Green Lantern
    5. "Shazam" (I hate calling him that)
    6. Wonder Woman
    7. Aquaman
    8. Green Arrow
    9. The Atom
    10. Hawkman

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'd add Trigon to that list. Editing to add @Frontier's good adds of Brother Blood and Blackfire.

NTT adopted the Brotherhood as you said and also Dr. Light who was a JLA villain for a long time before he fought the NTT. The original Teen Titans had a lot of fun villains but they're all in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Most of the other DC heroes have only one villain that is any good, like Black Manta or Black Adam, if even that.
    Captain Marvel/Shazam doesn't just have Black Adam; he also has Dr. Sivana, Mister Mind, and Captain Nazi for starters.