Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Personally, I always thought Nightwing had an interesting rouges gallery. An eclectic assortment of ne'er-do-well/degenerates such as:

Blockbuster (Roland Desmond)
    Torque (Dudley Soames)
    Double Dare (Aliki & Margot Marceau)
    Lady Vic/Stallion/Brutale (Blockbuster's hired assassins)
    Shrike (former friend of Dick Grayson, now hired-assassin with a grudge)
    Nite-Wing (Tad Ryerstad)
    and most recently, The Judge.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-19-2019 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Personally, I always thought Nightwing had an interesting rouges gallery. An eclectic assortment of ne'er-do-well/degenerates such as:

Torque (Dudley Soames)
    Nite-Wing (Tad Ryerstad)
    I thought I was the only person on this forum who liked Nightwing's villains .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bito Wladon View Post
    For me it'd have to be:
    1) Batman
    2) Flash
    3) Green Lantern.
    I feel like the Earth Villains are being unfairly discounted when some of them make the most interesting issues of GL comics. Sure Goldface is kinda boring but a lot of the others have interesting personalities and dynamics with Hal specifically and sometimes the other Lanterns.
    Like Doctor Polaris with his good side and evil side, who knows Hal's secret identity and it's pretty clear in his early comics that Hal cares about the Neal Emerson side of him, with Neal referring to him as a friend and Doctor Polaris calling him a former friend even as he plans to hurt Hal's other loved ones. My favorite series of issues for him, which are honestly my favorite Hal issues too, are Volume 2 #133-134, where Polaris steals Hal's ring and leaves him stranded at the North Pole, but the entire time they interact you can feel a palpable sense of respect from Polaris towards Hal, which I don't feel ever happens with Sinestro.
    Or Sonar (who is honestly my favorite GL villain, sorry) who along with being one of the funnier villains, seems like more of a friendly enemy, to the point that he goes to Hal's funeral.
    Black Hand is honestly more interesting since Geoff Johns did what he did to him, but I always found him one of the less interesting villains before.
    Honestly it's a little disappointing that none of the Earth Villains are really allowed to appear in Green Lantern comics anymore, or interact with Hal if they do appear. But at the same time I would never try to put Sonar in a more serious issue, he's more of a comic relief villain to me, and doesn't work as anything else. But I think if a writer could make a good balance between time spent on Earth and in space all of the Lantern Villains would be able to shine.
    I feel Dr Polaris has been underutilized. A split personality villain with immense powerset.

Btw, is he dead? I can't remember, but I seem to recall him getting caught in a blast when the Human Bomb exploded.

I don't even know how this is a question...

The title should be other than Batman who else has the best rogues gallery?

Which superhero group has the best rogues gallery?

Outside of Batman which hero/group has the best rogues gallery?
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Torque (Dudley Soames)
    Nite-Wing (Tad Ryerstad)
    And to throw in a few other good recent ones...Dr. Hurt, Professor Pyg, Raptor.

I've said this in other threads, but I love the Gray/Palmiotti storyline where a bunch of Hawkman's old foes (Golden and Silver Ages both) come together to combat Carter and Kendra. It made me realize that Hawkman had a viable rogues gallery that simply nobody ever chose to do anything with.

You've basically got Shadow Thief, Gentleman Ghost, Lion-Mane, Byth, IQ, Lasso, Hummingbird, Satanna, Fadeaway Man, Matter Master, the Monocle, Trygg the Sorcerer, the Shrike, White Dragon, and more. That's a solid line-up that just doesn't receive the attention it should, to the point where I feel that Hawkman and Firestorm are really the secret weapons of rogues galleries that could blow up once somebody used them.

hawkman40.jpg

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Syonide also appeard first in Black lighting (or at least the first character of that name), but that's such an obscure character, I don't think that you can really count him.
    OKay, I"m glad to read this. I thought I remembered one of BL's very early villains by that name, but wasn't ready to swear on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Nightwing has some amazing villains, they're mostly just buried in the rough and don't get the development they need. But man, if a writer actually put some effort into them? That's a quality lineup man.

And of course, a lot of Dick's foes from his days as Batman (like Pyg) have mostly remained Bat villains instead of staying in Dick's rogues gallery.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I've said this in other threads, but I love the Gray/Palmiotti storyline where a bunch of Hawkman's old foes (Golden and Silver Ages both) come together to combat Carter and Kendra. It made me realize that Hawkman had a viable rogues gallery that simply nobody ever chose to do anything with.

You've basically got Shadow Thief, Gentleman Ghost, Lion-Mane, Byth, IQ, Lasso, Hummingbird, Satanna, Fadeaway Man, Matter Master, the Monocle, Trygg the Sorcerer, the Shrike, White Dragon, and more. That's a solid line-up that just doesn't receive the attention it should, to the point where I feel that Hawkman and Firestorm are really the secret weapons of rogues galleries that could blow up once somebody used them.

hawkman40.jpg
    I love them, but in fairness, that's an aggregate collection of the foes of two separate characters. It's not like either Hawkman had so numerouls a gallery until Johns brought him back in such a way that everybody was suddenly on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Except that Dr. Hurt and Blockbuster were Batman villains first. And Pyg was a Dick-as-Batman villain.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Except that Dr. Hurt and Blockbuster were Batman villains first. And Pyg was a Dick-as-Batman villain.
    I think Dick has a solid claim on the villains introduced while he was Batman. I'd be more than ok with Pyg and the Circus of the Strange and Flamingo being given firmly to Nightwing, along with other villains/concepts thrown out during the possible Damian!Bats future. That's where Pyg and Flamingo originated, so it could be mined as a source for other Nightwing rouges.

Also, the Fist of Cain is an awesome concept and needs to be used more.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think Dick has a solid claim on the villains introduced while he was Batman. I'd be more than ok with Pyg and the Circus of the Strange and Flamingo being given firmly to Nightwing, along with other villains/concepts thrown out during the possible Damian!Bats future. That's where Pyg and Flamingo originated, so it could be mined as a source for other Nightwing rouges.

Yeah that's how I view them. I forgot Flamingo, I'd give him to Nightwing too. Besides, Batman can afford to lose a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I'm cool with that too. Just always feels funny to call Blockbuster a Nightwing villain, no matter how long it's been that way. I have the same issue with calling Darkseid a Superman villain. Even though he did first appear in Jimmy Olsen, he's a New Gods villain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I love them, but in fairness, that's an aggregate collection of the foes of two separate characters. It's not like either Hawkman had so numerouls a gallery until Johns brought him back in such a way that everybody was suddenly on the table.
    Yeah, I know. I was introduced to a number of them collectively from that run, so that's how I think of them. Plus, now that Katar is a reincarnation of Carter, it "kinda" works. Maybe in the same way that Solomon Grundy's now thought of as a Bat-villain and Kingpin is a Daredevil foe.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I don't even know how this is a question...

The title should be other than Batman who else has the best rogues gallery?

Which superhero group has the best rogues gallery?

Outside of Batman which hero/group has the best rogues gallery?
    I honestly feel that Batman's villains are pretty overrated. 80%+ of them are basically 'Crazy guy obsessed with...." fill in the blanks. Riddler, Joker, Two-face, Penguin, Scarecrow, Ventriloquist, Catwoman, etc... there really isn't a whole lot to them story or visual wise. I noticed it first when I was doing some roleplaying games and then the heroclix games... Most of the bad guys stats are pretty similar and most are below human max (ala batman.) There are the odd ones out like Clayface and Man-bat... But compared to the Flash? Mirror powers, trick boomerangs, practical jokes, super speed, Ice powers,... Each of those villains may all be 'sci-fi weapon'... but the weapons are different enough that there is some fun variations.