Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

I think where Batman really wins isn't with the common Gotham psycho, but the different kind of threats you see in his rogues. He's got secret societies with the Court of Owls and the League of Assassins, eco-terrorists with Ivy (and Ra's to, though no one seems to do that with him anymore), metahumans with Clayface, Man-Bat, etc., mobsters and gangsters with Penguin and Black Mask, eccentric thieves with Catwoman, he's even got a higher dimensional, cosmic threat in Bat-Mite. And all of them are on his A- or B-list of villains.

Flash has a lot of blue collar/one-trick foes with the Rogues, which are kind of the common, bread-n-butter of his gallery just like psycho's are Batman's. And Flash's got some major time traveling threats with the various Zooms and Abracadabra, a "broken mirror" or two like with Godspeed (and Thawne), a couple would-be tyrants like Grodd.....and getting any further than that involves digging deeper than we should have to. I mean, he's got some great foes in different subgenres or with different goals/scope, but......I mean, a cult that worships speed would definitely help broaden the rogues gallery but when was the last time Savitar got serious panel time and development? When looking at just the most well known/biggest villains, Batman's have a little more range to them than Flash's. If we got into the C-list villains, it'd even out a lot more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Yeah, I know. I was introduced to a number of them collectively from that run, so that's how I think of them. Plus, now that Katar is a reincarnation of Carter, it "kinda" works. Maybe in the same way that Solomon Grundy's now thought of as a Bat-villain and Kingpin is a Daredevil foe.
    Completely legit point of view. GA Superman comics were some my first Superman reads, so that's who I really prefer.

If the Flash has lots of memorable villains, why I rarely see them in his TV show?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    If the Flash has lots of memorable villains, why I rarely see them in his TV show?
    People liked them so much they turned them into heroes and put them on their own show.

Admittedly, they really change the villains for the show but most of the big ones have all appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    People liked them so much they turned them into heroes and put them on their own show.

Admittedly, they really change the villains for the show but most of the big ones have all appeared.
    well I wasn't impressed with most of them.

Astonishing Member

well I wasn't impressed with most of them.
    Have you read Flash comics? That's what this topic is about.

Plus, short of someone flamboyant like the Trickster or Rag Doll, there's a real reluctance to give villains costumes on these shows. The closest they come are street clothes that can approximate elements of the costume (like Captain Cold), though usually they just abandon them all together (Mirror Master, Weather Wizard).

Have you read Flash comics? That's what this topic is about.
    No, but I was wondering why his TV show didn't feature all these great villains you guys talk about. Maybe the writers just suck.

No, but I was wondering why his TV show didn't feature all these great villains you guys talk about. Maybe the writers just suck.
    They've been there. Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Reverse Flash, Heat wave, Gorilla Grodd, Trickster (both versions) ... They've all been on the show. Unfortunately, they're more interested in telling season long mega-arcs that tend to focus on one big bad guy to really do the rogues justice.

To which I would say... yeah, the writers just suck a bit.

Astonishing Member

Batman has the best rogues gallery in the DCU. There is no debating it. In fact, Batman has the best rogues gallery out of any hero full-stop. The only other heroes whose own rogues gallery can give Bat's a run for his money is Spider-Man (who is tied with Batman in my opinion) and The Flash. Those three are the stand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Is it Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, JLA, Green Lantern, Legion of Super Heroes, Teen Titans or some other hero or group?

Also, list your favorite rogues once you name the hero/group.
    Obviously, the Flash (when you talk about the Rogues, you're talking about Flash's enemies, for heaven's sake), but Batman is a close second.

Sandy Hausler
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They've been there. Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Reverse Flash, Heat wave, Gorilla Grodd, Trickster (both versions) ... They've all been on the show. Unfortunately, they're more interested in telling season long mega-arcs that tend to focus on one big bad guy to really do the rogues justice.

To which I would say... yeah, the writers just suck a bit.
    Yeah, I will say the TV show did pretty much pitch-perfect takes on Reverse-Flash and Grodd but they really bungled utilizing The Rogues.

I mean, a part of that is probably because they shipped Captain Cold and Heat Wave off to Legends and turned them into heroes, but it also probably didn't help that they lost Golden Glider to another show, forgot Weather Wizard existed for two seasons, wasted Captain Boomerang on Arrow, and really didn't give us a very interesting Mirror Master.

A shame too, because it honestly felt like they were really building the group up for the initial seasons...

Mighty Member

It's no contest for Batman...then again I'd say thanks to DC actually using Batman's rogues we'll see them used in more fun ways

I'd definitely give it to the Flash for DC's #2, as he actually has quite the varied and known rogues gallery in comparison to a majority of the DC universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I mean, Batman has objectively the best rogues gallery in all of comics.

Wonder Woman has my favorite rogues, however. No other hero in comic book history has the amount of diverse and varying female villains among their roster of rogues. Other heroes have anywhere from a handful of prominent female villains (Batman) to absolutely none (I'm looking at you Spider-Man). But being a woman allows for Wonder Woman to interact with female baddies in a way that isn't just the male POV "femme fatale," and that's fantastic.
    You know this is actually a good point. It's a shame that everyone wants to reinvent the wheel with Wonder Woman's rogues. Even a majority Batman's female rogues (Harley, Ivy) got the "she's not all that bad" treatment, or even were never on the more evil" range of the spectrum either (Catwoman, Talia). And as you said, many of them are the seductress femme fatale type...with varying personalities of Wonder Woman's female rogues, you would think these ladies would get more action. But alas...comic books.

i really wish that the gl earth rogues would have ranked higher.

dc focused a lot of cosmic stories for gl, which was nice, but it would have been nice if the earth rogues have gotten attention also.

rogues like dr polaris, sonar, tattooed man, the invisible destroyer, goldface...

oh, and definitely hector hammond.

Batman. No one else even comes close.