Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Cow

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    Is Cyber Force #11 ever going to come out? Looks like it says February 18th now on the Image site. It's been forever.
    I think Top Cow should just made that a quarterly book already: the series is cursed. I need to check the official timeline to see if it's running concurrent to Witchblade et al or if it's set in the not-so-distant future by a hundred years or so.

And it's been awhile since the last Rise of the Magi. I have a feeling these books are gonna take a backseat to the new Batman project.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Incredible Member

Finished Hunter-Killer and Cyberforce/Hunter-Killer.

Firstly, I was expecting more action and less story from a title called Hunter-Killer. Then again, it's Mark Waid so you know he doesn't do simple fluff. In a way, this is somewhat similar to Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy (I'm not gonna spoil the story of Hunter-Killer, you have to read it yourself) I liked the series quite a bit, it's story heavy and less time is given to characters. Certainly, this would have been a great backbone for an ongoing title. See, this is what is infuriating about some of these Top Cow books. Just when they really get going, they end. Many plot threads are left hanging and some character relationships and pasts are only briefly touched on.

As for art breakdown, I believe Silvestri did #0-6, Basaldua in for #7-8 and Rocafort does the final 4 issues. I'm a big fan of Rocafort so it's no surprise that I think he's the best artist here, followed by Silvestri (detailed work but very...90s) and then Basaldua (good work but doesn't compare to the other two).

Now, Cyberforce/Hunter-Killer was just plain fun (and the art, again by Rocafort is awesome) but storywise it feels rushed (trying to wrap up Hunter-Killer in a hurry). This had some fun interactions between the two teams, some inventive fights and powers. Keep in mind that this is pretty much pure action, not much story or character development (rushed as I said, despite Waid on writing duties). Once again, wish it would have morphed into an ongoing.

Reading Velocity next and then will see about the 90s run of Cyberforce.

Yeah, Hunter-Killer was a title I wished would have came back with the Top Cow Rebirth. Hopefully Top Cow gives it another chance in the future instead of another failed Cyber Force run (might as well accept it's not coming back).
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Incredible Member

In terms of their visual appearance and powers I actually prefer Cyberforce as a team but Hunter-Killer (the book) had more substance to it than anything Cyberforce related I've read up until now. On second thought, I think the Cyberforce Rebirth series is just as good (just wish we'd get more than 3 issues a year).

Also got done with Velocity and it was a great quick read. Again, love the art (although I didn't like Rocafort's Killjoy). Only thing is, why did the letterer think it would be a good idea to put yellow letters in green boxes? Had to really strain my eyes at some points.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 01-19-2015 at 01:57 PM.

IX 2 Preview Nebezial

Stjepan's art is so gorgeous. Even his writing is great. Frustrates me that he's not a bigger name in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    Stjepan's art is so gorgeous. Even his writing is great. Frustrates me that he's not a bigger name in the industry.
    I really believe that with his increased exposure in Rat Queens and the success of Sunstone 2015 will be the year he "breaks through" in the industry.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

I am looking for a comprehensive reading order for the Top Cow Universe, including Aphrodite IX, Cyberforce, Witchblade, Darkness, Artifacts and all other relevant titles that belong in that universe. Can anyone help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by JaceTheComicSource View Post
    I am looking for a comprehensive reading order for the Top Cow Universe, including Aphrodite IX, Cyberforce, Witchblade, Darkness, Artifacts and all other relevant titles that belong in that universe. Can anyone help me out?
    This is all I've been able to find. http://thebarn.freeforums.org/top-co...rder-t273.html I should probably join The Barn, but those forums are pretty much dead.

IX n 2 More Preview

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    From talking to him he's exactly were he wants to be. He's an artist to the core, he lives it you know? I don't think he would be happy with the constraints of a larger and more rigid definition. Though I tend to say the same for Aphrodite IX/IXth Generation (Noting it's my #1 favorite book, so Go Team!). I want everyone to be reading it so I can geek out with them about it, and maybe generate high enough numbers to see a Hollywood production considered of course.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by JaceTheComicSource View Post
    Not comprehensive here but maybe some points. Artifacts serves as the center piece for the Top Cow universe, introducing the reader to the modern (pre-reboot) versions of the characters as well as leading into and laying out the landscape for the rebooted Universe. Anything in pre-reboot roots back to those books (which you just mentioned, then include Magdelna as well and mini's). Artifacts however does a well enough job summarizing these characters and why they arrived at the point they did.

After issue #13 Artifacts continues but doesn't focus on the full cast as much, mostly only Tom Judge and Tilly Grimes. After reboot Artifacts also highlights Jackie Estacado aka The Darkness and crosses over with his book and Witchblade's briefly as well as highlights Magdalena in the new universe. Else Cyberforce stands as the present day and prelude to the Aphrodite IX series and all factors are rationalized in the cross-over between the two. Then everything moves to IXTH Generation which is the future of the rebooted universe involving all previous players and elements.

Hope any of that helps some. Hawkins did a good interview about the reboot and what not here to give you an overall outline:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=39474

Noting this here as the question has come up about IXTH Generation and I wasn't sure how to answer regarding what backstory is either essential (stated that one can start at #1 fine) or just good for highlighting Matt Hawkins replied " The two volumes of Aphrodite IX Rebirth and the free Cyber Force V1 trades are good. " for anyone that needs the info. Sorry it took me awhile to check. Mario Kart and brain farts and what not, you know how it goes.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    From talking to him he's exactly were he wants to be. He's an artist to the core, he lives it you know? I don't think he would be happy with the constraints of a larger and more rigid definition. Though I tend to say the same for Aphrodite IX/IXth Generation (Noting it's my #1 favorite book, so Go Team!). I want everyone to be reading it so I can geek out with them about it, and maybe generate high enough numbers to see a Hollywood production considered of course.
    Aphrodite IX was my first Sejic book and I loved it. I've got the OHC ordered because his art deserves a bigger format. Since then I've continued on with IXth Generation and checked out Sunstone and Death Vigil.

Been enjoying IXth Generation but I think I'll need to get caught up on the various Artifacts before too long.