Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Whiskey with ice

Is this considered a mortal sin to some people?

Its all a personal preference, I myself do drink it neat or with only a single cube or sphere of ice. Some same its a sin like putting stake sauce on a stake but if you like it to hell with what other people think.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Personally, I do not care if someone wants it like that. To each their own.

But in some bars, you will have to get through the fight before you have it that way.

Mighty Member

I don't drink much myself, but I always think of some movie where a Brit was aghast when a Yank had his with ice.

Astonishing Member

Ice kills the flavor. The flavor of whisky comes from aromatic molecules, which are very large (on account of the benzene ring). In Scotch whisky with a smoky, peaty flavor, it is especially the phenols that create the taste. On account of their size, these aromatic molecules will stay bound by surface tension within the liquid unless the whisky is warm enough (such as happens from your "cupping" the glass in the palm of your hand for a few minutes before drinking). It is only when these large molecules are able to escape the liquid and be suspended in the air that you can sense the flavor of the whisky with your nose and taste buds. Adding ice to the liquid means that you will get only a small fraction of the flavor, so you might as well be drinking vodka instead.

Ice in Whiskey? My friends please...NO! The answer is Whiskey Stones, please Google.

Ice is great for the first use, after that it just melts away. Whiskey stones are stones that you put in the freezer for at least 4 hours. When ready to use you place them in the bottom of your glass, pour your whiskey slowly & let sit for a few moments. The whiskey stay chilled without any chance of water diluting & changing the flavor profile of your whiskey.

Simply wash the stones when not in use and air dry before placing in the freezer for 4 hours before your next use.

Also, It is acceptable to have a separate glass of water or a ginger beer to accompany your whiskey.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Ice in Whiskey? My friends please...NO! The answer is Whiskey Stones, please Google.

Ice is great for the first use, after that it just melts away. Whiskey stones are stones that you put in the freezer for at least 4 hours. When ready to use you place them in the bottom of your glass, pour your whiskey slowly & let sit for a few moments. The whiskey stay chilled without any chance of water diluting & changing the flavor profile of your whiskey.

Simply wash the stones when not in use and air dry before placing in the freezer for 4 hours before your next use.

Also, It is acceptable to have a separate glass of water or a ginger beer to accompany your whiskey.
    How about that! I learned something new today!

Stones I've found have never really get it to the right temp. I've come to really love using ice spheres much less surface area than cubes so it melts way slower. Water is not the enemy of whiskey, dependent on the APV it helps release the flavor. Too much water is bad, so crushed ice or small ice cubes that melt fast will dilute it to much, but you can always add more whiskey.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

really depends on how cheap the whiskey is.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    How about that! I learned something new today!
    Whiskey stones are not expensive & it makes you look like a knowledgeable gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Stones I've found have never really get it to the right temp. I've come to really love using ice spheres much less surface area than cubes so it melts way slower. Water is not the enemy of whiskey, dependent on the APV it helps release the flavor. Too much water is bad, so crushed ice or small ice cubes that melt fast will dilute it to much, but you can always add more whiskey.
    Agreed. Adding whiskey is always the correct answer to many of life's happy accidents

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    really depends on how cheap the whiskey is.
    My good man, cheap whiskey should be left to cowboys & never to a proper gentleman. Please have some Blue Label & never sin again.

My good man, cheap whiskey should be left to cowboys & never to a proper gentleman. Please have some Blue Label & never sin again.
    rather be a rich cowboy than a broke gentlemen lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The only way to drink whiskey is to mix it with milk.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Boisterously Confused

It depends. If we're discussing a bourbon, by all means, ice; but only a bit. If we're discussing scotch; never, only a slight splash if you must. If we're discussing Irish or Canadian, it doesn't matter because they are both hideous swill.

I'm actually not a huge fan of whiskey stones. Typically I don't like cold whiskey to begin with but, if I do it has to be ice. Often, that will only be in an Old Fashioned where ice is part of the recipe.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Whiskey, itself, is a sin, imo. Sorry, even the "best" of it tastes like an ashtray to me. :P
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier