Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guardians of the Galaxy #17 SPOILERS

- Marvel and Peter get out of Spartaxx. Spartaxx people revolt. They go looking for the team
    - Gamora calls and Angela and Her are getting bored of killing Badoon.
    - They run into Drax as Gladiator takes Drax into space about to MoS powerbomb him or something. They get Drax
    - Kree returns Rocket
    - Rocket says Glark alot????????
    - Find Groot dismantled on some planet.
    - Got to Knowhere to look for Venom. Venom starts to appear but then goes back into the shadows? They say they will have to leave him behind bc they cannot be out in the open

So, basic Bendis stuff. The team got back together except venom. Boom, whole issue summarized in one sentence. Just add in some repetitive dialogue and you are good to go.

Next issue should be the interesting one with the Cancerverse/Richard Rider/Thanos stuff.

Maybe with GoG movie being as popular as it is, they can now take Bendis off this title and it will still survive. He just doesn't fit here...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I'm not sure what the point of bringing in Venom was when he basically joins and leaves the team in one story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of bringing in Venom was when he basically joins and leaves the team in one story arc.
    What is the point of this book in general?

I mean, you can easily sum this book up in one sentence and you will miss nothing. There is no deeper meaning, no subtle things.

Team got back together except Venom.

Then end.

3.99 baby

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Just add in some repetitive dialogue and you are good to go.
    Yeah, no kidding. The page in which Rocket Raccoon returns to the fold is the kind of stuff people mock Bendis for. Ugh... I'd even dismiss Rocket's overuse of "glark" as part of the Kree's experimentation on him (because, to be fair, it could be something Bendis'd use further down the line), but with the three-part Cancerverse explanation that's coming next, I'm fairly certain he'll count on fans forgetting about that tidbit and will keep on writing Rocket as if nothing'd happened.

I'll be honest, I actually thought, after reading issue 14 (the first of this arc), that this story arc actually had some promise. That issue clearly put each member of the team on dire straights and had apparently set up the means of their escapes (Captain Marvel flying in and Venom, who by the end of the issue was yet to be kidnapped). However, the following issue retread familiar ground by showing us again how desperate the team's situation was and to show Venom being abducted by Skrulls (why not show us that in the previous issue if him being still at large wasn't going to achieve any point at all?) all the while deceiving people who bought the issue to see Captain Marvel (advertised on the cover, nowhere to be seen on the pages of the actual comic). Issue 16 dealt mainly with Quill's rescue at the hands of Carol and with Drax's sentence, hardly worth the $3.99 price of admission. Seeing the arc wrapped up so neatly as it was in this issue (seriously, after Quill got out of Spartax, everything he needed to work things out fell right on his lap!) after seeing the team in such hopeless situations felt like a cop-out to me...

Another wasted opportunity: By tearing the Guardians apart, Bendis had an opportunity to give more development to team members that needed it. And though that was sort of achieved with Drax, who appears to no longer speak in that dreadful half-Thor-half-Hulk way (though what was that with him getting utterly trounced by Gladiator and then saying that he'd won the match? I wasn't expecting him to beat Kallark, mind you, but it calls to question just how deserved his moniker "The Destroyer" really is when he considers an obvious beatdown a win...), how developed was Gamora (The Most Dangerous Woman in the Galaxy who had to be rescued by Angela, who under Bendis' pen is probably more deserving of that title)? Or Groot (who was given to the Brood, for some godforsaken reason, who had never appeared on the series or had any quarrel with the team or with Groot in particular)?

Also, why advertise Nick Bradshaw as the artist for this arc if he wasn't going to be able to complete a single issue on his own? I can handle having one or two pages drawn by different artists (though it's somewhat of a pet peeve for me, as it forcibly takes me out of the story when I can tell that one page is drawn by one artist while the following is drawn by a different one), but when that happens with four issues in a row, and when the last issue is actually drawn almost in its entirety by a different artist than the one advertised, that's when it becomes a bit too much...

Even without the one sentence summary there are some problems with this issue. I've been enjoying the "team gets split up" plot line. Their reunion happened to fact and with too much ease. This storyline felt like it needed at least a few more issues. Instead we got a rushed "and the Quill found everyone" sequence. not a fan.

Also, that art... I miss pichelli.
    Last edited by dropkickjake; 07-30-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Bendis posted on Twitter that both books coming out today by him had nothing for fans to yell at him for.

He was right.... this issue literally had nothing in it.

The last issue I enjoyed was #11. After that it has gone downhill in quality. I think I only liked this book when Pichelli was on art duties, cause the story is not interesting or engaging in the slightest. The 100th anniversary issue was far better in every way. I swear Bendis just phones this stuff in cause hes also busy writing episodes for various animated series, video games, etc.

The book needs a writer focused on an actual direction and plot. There is no substance to be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Bendis posted on Twitter that both books coming out today by him had nothing for fans to yell at him for.

He was right.... this issue literally had nothing in it.

The last issue I enjoyed was #11. After that it has gone downhill in quality. I think I only liked this book when Pichelli was on art duties, cause the story is not interesting or engaging in the slightest. The 100th anniversary issue was far better in every way. I swear Bendis just phones this stuff in cause hes also busy writing episodes for various animated series, video games, etc.

The book needs a writer focused on an actual direction and plot. There is no substance to be found here.
    We didn't even get an epic Drax/Gladiator fight.

Yeah, much more could have been done with this. But it was useless splash pages and little dialogue. Things wrapped up without struggle and the characterization was horrible. That scene with Rocket was horrid.

That was a double whammy, too. Pathetic fight and a jarring art change in the middle of it.

What is the point of this book in general?

I mean, you can easily sum this book up in one sentence and you will miss nothing. There is no deeper meaning, no subtle things.

Team got back together except Venom.

Then end.

3.99 baby
    LOL! Right on hehe

This issue was a massive letdown. Just let Bendis stick to street level solo books, he's much better there.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Wait, so Flash left Mania alone on Earth un-watched and no food for nothing? give the guy an award folks for worst foster parent of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmetalmouse View Post
    This issue was a massive letdown. Just let Bendis stick to street level solo books, he's much better there.
    Well marvel basically admitted Bendis on this book was a sales stunt.

Bendis has nothing to gain here so he's phoning it in.Even now its DnA this and that, getting all the movie praise. He's really struggled with the characters since the get go...but really a lot of editor related problems as well..

I say hopefully the cancerverse arc will be awesome...but as Ive said I dont have much confidence it will be...whatever happned there hasnt seemed to effect the characters much in 2 years aside from them acting a bit out of character...but that is likely them taking on Bendis archetypes hes comfortable writing rather than profound happenings in the cancerverse. Rich Rider's legacy has been non existent in this book...and I would not hold out hope for anything special. As for Rider's absence it didnt need to be spammed, but it did need to be addressed a bit better to this point. ( at a minimum to set up this cancerverse arc more)

I have enjoyed Bradshaw's art though...he's got a nice clean Art Adams style...and thats high praise.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 07-30-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Amazing Member

Out of all the bad things that happened in this comic how Venom was handled had to be the worst of them all for me

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Well marvel basically admitted Bendis on this book was a sales stunt.

Bendis has nothing to gain here so he's phoning it in.Even now its DnA this and that, getting all the movie praise. He's really struggled with the characters since the get go...but really a lot of editor related problems as well..

I say hopefully the cancerverse arc will be awesome...but as Ive said I dont have much confidence it will be...whatever happned there hasnt seemed to effect the characters much in 2 years aside from them acting a bit out of character...but that is likely them taking on Bendis archetypes hes comfortable writing rather than profound happenings in the cancerverse. Rich Rider's legacy has been non existent in this book...and I would not hold out hope for anything special. As for Rider's absence it didnt need to be spammed, but it did need to be addressed a bit better to this point. ( at a minimum to set up this cancerverse arc more)

I have enjoyed Bradshaw's art though...he's got a nice clean Art Adams style...and thats high praise.
    Don't you mean "Ryder" lol! If Bendis writes an awful out of character version of Richard I think we just got a perfect slur name for that version.