Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

so, thoughts on the new crossover mini series?

I have no idea who Dark Agnes is. Was she ever published by Marvel? I guess Marvel doesn't have the contract rights to Sonja anymore, so she's available?

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-co...-solomon-kane/

I wonder how the faith systems of the characters may interact. with Conan it's Crom, with Moon Knight it's Khonshu, with Solomon Kane, he's a Puritan. Don't know about Agnes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

I have no idea who Dark Agnes is. Was she ever published by Marvel? I guess Marvel doesn't have the contract rights to Sonja anymore, so she's available?

I wonder how the faith systems of the characters may interact. with Conan it's Crom, with Moon Knight it's Khonshu, with Solomon Kane, he's a Puritan. Don't know about Agnes.
    I don't think they will interact, at least for now. They're usually good on keeping to their own settings and being franchises of their own, especially Solomon Kane. Still, I wouldn't rule it out, if Marvel wanted, they could always pull them together in another Savage Avengers set-up or something.

That goes for their faiths as well, they'll just stick with whatever they have since it's unique to each character and their settings.

Looks like Red Sonja is staying put at Dynamite. Maybe this suggests Marvel might consider making a push to get her license back, but I don't think Dynamite will give it up easily since they seem to be building up on it more recently (currently has a Mark Russell series, Birth of the She-Devil mini series, even crossovers with Archie and Vampirella. Sonja's a busy gal)
    Last edited by GilGarciaJr; 09-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

https://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-is...created-conan/

Dark Agnes is another feisty redheaded swordswoman, this time from the 17th century. Her stories were published after Howard’s death but she would seem to be a new addition to the comics line-up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Agnes_de_Chastillon

Sounds a bit like a substitute for Red Sonja that they can still hang the brand onto. Might as well just stick with Agnes, I think, rather than go for Sonja.

Quote Originally Posted by GilGarciaJr View Post
    Looks like Red Sonja is staying put at Dynamite. Maybe this suggests Marvel might consider making a push to get her license back
    Just the opposite, I think.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 09-13-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Dark Agnes was one of the two Howard characters that were Roy Thomas' inspiration for Red Sonja. The other was Red Sonya-the gunslinging Polish-Ukranian heroine of Howard's story Shadow of the Vulture set in the Ottoman Empire of the 16th century. Sonya was a blonde. Agnes a fiery red-headed swordswoman. Neither were from the Hyborian Age, but Thomas mashed up the two characters and transported the result to the Hyborian Age to create Red Sonja for the Conan comics. Since Sonja is not a Howardian character, she's not controlled by the Howard rights-holders. It looks like Marvel and Paradox (the Howard rights holder) are trying to exploit more of the Howard library, but since they are doing some of the historical fiction characters, I hope they keep them separate and not try to merge them into the Hyborian Age or Marvel Universe.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Dark Agnes was one of the two Howard characters that were Roy Thomas' inspiration for Red Sonja. The other was Red Sonya-the gunslinging Polish-Ukranian heroine of Howard's story Shadow of the Vulture set in the Ottoman Empire of the 16th century. Sonya was a blonde. Agnes a fiery red-headed swordswoman. Neither were from the Hyborian Age, but Thomas mashed up the two characters and transported the result to the Hyborian Age to create Red Sonja for the Conan comics. Since Sonja is not a Howardian character, she's not controlled by the Howard rights-holders. It looks like Marvel and Paradox (the Howard rights holder) are trying to exploit more of the Howard library, but since they are doing some of the historical fiction characters, I hope they keep them separate and not try to merge them into the Hyborian Age or Marvel Universe.

-M
    Well, they're coming into the Marvel Multiverse at least.

Hyborian Age OR Marvel Universe? Isn't the Hyborian Age simply supposed to be the past - some era that came before the Greek and Norse pantheons existed (hence why Conan hasn't interacted with Hercules or Thor in his own time)?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hyborian Age OR Marvel Universe? Isn't the Hyborian Age simply supposed to be the past - some era that came before the Greek and Norse pantheons existed (hence why Conan hasn't interacted with Hercules or Thor in his own time)?
    It's way before those. It's a era right pretty much between the caveman days and the earliest of recorded civilizations known to history. It's been around for long enough to have Atlantis in it's own history, and acquired up to some Medivial level technology and up before it all collapses back to another stone age before civilizations begins anew, leaving the Hyborian Age a era of lost technology and values that were re-discovered by later civilizations.
    According to a issue of What If I recently read featuring Conan, the Hyborian Age is roughly 12,000 years in the past from the present Marvel Universe.
    Last edited by GilGarciaJr; 09-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GilGarciaJr View Post
    It's way before those. It's a era right pretty much between the caveman days and the earliest of recorded civilizations known to history. It's been around for long enough to have Atlantis in it's own history, and acquired up to some Medivial level technology and up before it all collapses back to another stone age before civilizations begins anew, leaving the Hyborian Age a era of lost technology and values that were re-discovered by later civilizations.
    According to a issue of What If I recently read featuring Conan, the Hyborian Age is roughly 12,000 years in the past from the present Marvel Universe.
    They Hyborian Age doesn't include Atlantis. Kull is set in Atlantis and that era predates the Hyborian Age. IIRC, Atlantis sunk when Kull's son or grandson was its monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    They Hyborian Age doesn't include Atlantis. Kull is set in Atlantis and that era predates the Hyborian Age. IIRC, Atlantis sunk when Kull's son or grandson was its monarch.
    Marvel has it's own take on Atlantis which I think overrides the Conan version for the purposes of the Marvel Comics.

Kamuu and Zartra, last royals of Old Atlantis.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Yeah, that's why I said it was history to them, though "in It's history" might give the wrong context.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Marvel has it's own take on Atlantis which I think overrides the Conan version for the purposes of the Marvel Comics.

I smell a Conan/Namor team up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Well that's disappointing. I liked the idea of Kull's lineage being around the sinking of Atlantis.

Seven page preview for Jim Zub's Conan: Serpent War #1
    https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...directors-cut/

Don't miss this - he's also the new ongoing writer for Conan the Barbarian as of February.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Seven page preview for Jim Zub's Conan: Serpent War #1
    https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...directors-cut/

Don't miss this - he's also the new ongoing writer for Conan the Barbarian as of February.
    Looks interesting. I already got the series on my LCBS pull list, including that 1 dollar True Believer comic they're marketing as a Serpent War lead up.

so how much of the dark horse era has continued to be packaged as trade paperbacks under the new marvel license?