Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    If Warner Bros put the Snake In A Hat back in charge of the DCEU again, it would be the definitive proof that they refuse to learn from their mistakes. I mean, after the Justice League fiasco, the fact this guy is still involved with DC movies and TV shows is something beyond my understanding.
    His CW superhero shows were well received when they each first aired. Technically Supergirl was CBS, but the same thing. Whether they have sustained their quality is a matter of opinion. But he isn't really involved with them now.

If Warner Bros put the Snake In A Hat back in charge of the DCEU again, it would be the definitive proof that they refuse to learn from their mistakes. I mean, after the Justice League fiasco, the fact this guy is still involved with DC movies and TV shows is something beyond my understanding.

The calling Geoff a snake thing is hilarious because people act like he's the one responsible for what happened to Zack. That was always gonna happen regardless of who was pulling the trigger. As soon as WB saw those reviews and 2nd weekend drops for BVS, Snyder's days as commander of the franchise were numbered.

Extraordinary Member

Johns was involved in the Green Lantern movie too, I don't think he's cut out for overseeing films

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Johns was involved in the Green Lantern movie too, I don't think he's cut out for overseeing films
    People here just refuse to understand that. Just because he is a great COMIC BOOK writer, doesn't mean he must be put in charge of an entire films division. Yes, he loves and know a lot about DC characters, but Warner Bros can't base the DCEU on the personal taste of ONE GUY. Especially a huge Silver Age / Donner's Superman fanboy like Johns.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Considering S2 of JJ and Daredevil? Maybe
    Yeah but you can't say DD season 3 was not one hell of a great rebound. Nothing is every perfect back 2 back. Flash i enjoyed immensely till some aspects of the savitar season was "ehhhh" next season after that was a joke.

I enjoyed titans on dcu programming. Best part is paid subscription services tend to be a bit more adult and not as corny as a cw show.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Yeah, look, I don't really think Johns is the best bet for the position either, but not one of the failures of DC films was his fault.

In Green Lantern, he was called last minute to "save" a movie everyone already knew was going to bomb. Despite his credits he is only marginally involved and his only failure was his incapacity to polish a turd into a diamond.

Everything after that is tainted by power struggles at DC/WB. They told a lot of people with conflicting views that they had all the power while not one of them had any.

While I dopn't believe Johns is the man for the job, laying the blame of everything at his lap is unfair.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

People here just refuse to understand that. Just because he is a great COMIC BOOK writer, doesn't mean he must be put in charge of an entire films division. Yes, he loves and know a lot about DC characters, but Warner Bros can't base the DCEU on the personal taste of ONE GUY. Especially a huge Silver Age / Donner's Superman fanboy like Johns.
    Noone says he should or is fit to be put in charge of an entire films division, but a "snake"? This type of Snyder bot crap is so last year.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It baffles me that people still think Johns had direct control over anything to do with Green Lantern or Justice League. He was so far down the line his influence was nothing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There's the JL fiasco (how much of a hand did he have in that really? That seems like a clusteruck to lay at Snyder, the studio and Whedon's feet)...and then there's their only two successes, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. And Shazam is shaping up to be a hit, and is heavily based upon his run. He may not be 100% perfect for the job, but he's far from the main one to blame for their **** ups so far. A lot of the worst decisions were out of his control

Snyder deserves more blame. And even then it's due to being put in charge and having a lot of demands heaped on him when he wasn't suited for it, less his fault and more the studios. But the rushed direction based around his approach was almost objectively the wrong one, whereas Johns' era has two hits already.

And "Snake"? Seriously?

It baffles me that people here actually think that the guy who...

- was put in charge of DC movies by Warner Bros
    - spent months bragging in interviews how he would "save" the DCEU with "heart, humor, hope, heroics, and optimism", while throwing Zack Snyder and David Ayer under the bus
    - mutilated Chris Terrio's script to turn a two-part Justice League movie into a single one
    - campaigned behind the scenes to push Snyder out of the DCEU
    - brought Joss Whedon in to "fix" what didn't need fixing

...doesn't deserve any blame at all.

How that old saying goes? Oh, right! "Success has many fathers, failure is always an orphan".

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since this the place where people really believe that the blame for the Justice League failure belongs entirely to Zack Snyder and all that poor Warner Bros did was try to "save" the movie.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

- spent months bragging in interviews how he would "save" the DCEU with "heart, humor, hope, heroics, and optimism", while throwing Zack Snyder and David Ayer under the bus
    - mutilated Chris Terrio's script to turn a two-part Justice League movie into a single one

How that old saying goes? Oh, right! "Success has many fathers, failure is always an orphan".

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since this the place where people really believe that the blame for the Justice League failure belongs entirely to Zack Snyder and all that poor Warner Bros did was try to "save" the movie.
    Nobody thinks WB is blameless. That's nonsense. Recognizing that Snyder was not the right person to give the keys to the kingdom to means we recognize a mistake on WB's part.

Honestly, JL was a disaster, but it doesn't sound like what was originally planned was going to be much better. It may have been worse. The mistake was rushing into production and keeping Snyder in the director's chair when they should have dropped the whole thing and regrouped. As is, they sent the thing out into the world to die and hastily resolve the lingering plot threads so they could drop it and move on. It was probably for the best in the long run. Now we can quietly ignore the failed aspects of the DCEU and keep going, focusing on what worked: Wonder Woman and Aquaman's solo properties, Shazam being separate from the tainted stuff beforehand, Wonder Woman walking away from humanity gets to be quietly ignored, ditching the "mind controlled evil Superman" bullshit before it even starts, keeping Robbie's Harley and ditching Leto's Joker, etc.

Tsujihara was the one who decided JL needed to be a single movie with less than a two hour runtime. WB freaked out after BvS underperformed so they decided that making JL Avengers-lite was the way to go. Johns was more of a spokesperson than anything else, Aquaman was the first DCEU movie where he was more hands-on involved. Johns isn't blameless because he was still involved with that debacle but the blame can't be objectively put only on him. And I've yet to see actual proof of this claim that he "campaigned to push Snyder out of the DCEU", not just he said-she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Tsujihara was the one who decided JL needed to be a single movie with less than a two hour runtime. WB freaked out after BvS underperformed so they decided that making JL Avengers-lite was the way to go. Johns was more of a spokesperson than anything else, Aquaman was the first DCEU movie where he was more hands-on involved. Johns isn't blameless because he was still involved with that debacle but the blame can't be objectively put only on him. And I've yet to see actual proof of this claim that he "campaigned to push Snyder out of the DCEU", not just he said-she said.
    Exactly, and what the hell else is he going to say? I mean the perceived absence of heart, hope and optimism and sloppy storytelling was the major downfall of the DCEU's reputation thus far, and telling people they are moving towards that in an attempt to win people back is the only thing he can do.

Is he gonna say "WB made me say this and I don't actually believe any of it?"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Superman vs Joker film starring Henry Cavill and Cesar Romero.
    Well, Pete Cushing was CGI, so...