Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Would an Adult Animated X-Men show be a good idea?

(I asked this on reddit but I will post this here)

I do not mean the unproduced Deadpool cartoon, but an adult animated X-Men show either rated TV-14 or even TV-MA. Would it be a good idea to have such since it would allow for the use of the word hellfire club, for example, some gore, among others? Unlike most other adult animated shows where they are comedies, this should be serious.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

I'd replace the term "Adult" with "Mature" if I were you.
    Saying "Adult" elicits a certain Bow Chika Bow Wow tone.

And I'd love an X-men version of Young Justice - especially if it focuses on the students like Young Justice focuses on the Sidekicks.

Amazing Member

Yes I would love that with some spin off animated shows like new mutants xforce ect

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Maybe, but I find with a lot of western Animation the fewer restrictions a show has the less effort that goes into it. I don't think there's a lot to be gained from an animated adaptation of the X-Men comics by excluding younger viewers either. Historically they series we have had did fairly well for themselves while making some concessions.

I certainly wouldn't want anything that goes farther than the X-Men Anime from a decade or so back.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frankyspaceout View Post
    (I asked this on reddit but I will post this here)

I do not mean the unproduced Deadpool cartoon, but an adult animated X-Men show either rated TV-14 or even TV-MA. Would it be a good idea to have such since it would allow for the use of the word hellfire club, for example, some gore, among others? Unlike most other adult animated shows where they are comedies, this should be serious.
    Something in the vein of Justice League and Young Justice would be a dream. Just give it to Weisman and Vietti and let them work their magic on the muties.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Something in the vein of Justice League and Young Justice would be a dream. Just give it to Weisman and Vietti and let them work their magic on the muties.
    Exactatiously!
    When it comes to superhero animation storytelling DC has it on Lock.
    But, I would even go further and use more innovative animation styles (as with S:ItSV) and vere away from the more classic "cartoon" look.

Yes.But any US base animation aim at mostly adults has been dead concept. Now show that can appeal to kids and have mature themes that is your best chance. Young Justice is anomaly it build up its base as children cartoon but end up on DC streaming service where they don't have to follow tv guidelines. YJ now has perfect tone for an X-men cartoon

X-men being runned by Disney now, Is not going to be in the favor of that tone unless it ends up on Hulu. That said tone of the original cartoon was good enough for X-men it doesn't need gore or extreme violence, it just needs to be able to do complex/mature stories
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-15-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Marvel Animation doesn't exactly have a great track record, it would be interesting if Marvel Studios took control though - they will be doing an animated What If? series so there's definitely interest there.

I think anything could work, it just depends on the pitch.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

As long as it doesn't look like Steven Universe, Thundercats Roar, or High Guardian Spice.

how much mama frost tiddy we talkin' about here
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'd love the following:

Season 2 of a rebooted Wolverine and the X-Men following up the Age of Apocalypse storyline they teased.

A completely new reboot of X-Men cartoon with a quality somewhere around TAS and WatX.

A family guy style comedy featuring Iceman, Morph, Beast, Emma, Cyclops and Wolverine as the main team. Morph and Iceman always pulling pranks and cracking jokes. Emma always drunk and being Emma. Beast the Big Bang Nerd. Cyclops the try hard. And **** stirrer Wolverine. With all the X-Men showing up on different episodes or "flashbacks" type scenes. Lot of used side characters from Glob to Doop. One episode Rogue and Gambit tag along, next episode we get Storm and Colossus, then Kitty and Nightcrawler. Get at least a dozen characters an episode with some funny jokes.
    Last edited by GigaBalls; 03-16-2019 at 12:59 AM.

I would prefer something like Young Justice in terms of tone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I would prefer something like Young Justice in terms of tone.
    Yes, I definitely agree here.

I say yes if "adult" in this case just means something that's mature on the level of Young Justice. I think that show was only slightly more mature than Wolverine and the X-men, which I think struck a good balance between being kid-friendly and having an appeal for adults. I think right now, Marvel's animation is woefully unbalanced with cartoons that are bland, basic, and appeal only to young children. I think once the Fox deal closes, Marvel will be able to "reboot" its animated universe and create a more cohesive vision, sort of like the one we saw in Avengers: EMH.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.