Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Vol 2 wasn't perfect (but the first one wasn't perfect either), but the movie still resonated with me. In fact, I think I end up putting it in my top 5 Marvel movies. Some of the humor didn't always land (mainly involving Drax), but it didn't bother me as it clearly bothered a lot of people. But, IMO, the movie may be one of the more mature Marvel movies tonally dealing with the complexities of family that you just typically don't see in a modern blockbuster.

It wasn't just the Yondu stuff. Every character (Well not Groot for obvious reasons and not Drax... because punch lines...) had some type of character flaw that they had to deal with in order to reach the climax of the film. I love both movies but Vol. 1 made me feel something raw and human, which is something I don't expect coming into blockbusters.

This video explains how I felt watching it for the first time in ways much more eloquent than I can muster.

There was a lot I could relate to with GOTG Vol. 2 my old man died about 12 years ago and he was far from perfect and when he was alive we had a decent relationship but I held on to the negative stuff for years then he died and it all faded and I've been like since damn why couldn't I had let this stuff go before he died so I relate to the Starlord stuff with Yondu. Also even the Gamora and Nebula stuff hit close to home. My mum and her brother had a slightly similar relationship where their dad was abusive and she was a natural straight A student while he struggled and one time he got B's, C's, and even an A on his report card best he ever got and my mum was like "Why aren't you happy that's the best report card you ever got" she was proud of him and he said "I should be happy and it's the best I ever got but I know dad will compare it to yours which is straight A's and I will get a beating" sad thing was he was right. So yeah while I think GOTG is a better movie GOTG Vol. 2 hits me in the feels hard.

Happy to see Gunn back I posted before I understood why Disney let him go but I also said I never thought he did anything wrong, hated the people who targeted him, and felt he got a raw deal and happy he'll get to do Guardians Vol. 3.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Batista must have gone to Disney's offices and did this
    Haha. Seriously though, I really have to admire Dave Bautista's loyalty to James Gunn. You really don't see much of that in Hollywood nowadays. Especially considering he's not a big name actor, could have easily put his career at risk. But from the very beginning coming out and defying Disney and calling them out for the firing James Gunn. I've got a lot more admiration for the big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Man, the next thing you know Kevin Hart is going to host the Oscars next year.
    Why shouldn't he? People shouldn't be held to different standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There was a lot I could relate to with GOTG Vol. 2 my old man died about 12 years ago and he was far from perfect and when he was alive we had a decent relationship but I held on to the negative stuff for years then he died and it all faded and I've been like since damn why couldn't I had let this stuff go before he died so I relate to the Starlord stuff with Yondu. Also even the Gamora and Nebula stuff hit close to home. My mum and her brother had a slightly similar relationship where their dad was abusive and she was a natural straight A student while he struggled and one time he got B's, C's, and even an A on his report card best he ever got and my mum was like "Why aren't you happy that's the best report card you ever got" she was proud of him and he said "I should be happy and it's the best I ever got but I know dad will compare it to yours which is straight A's and I will get a beating" sad thing was he was right. So yeah while I think GOTG is a better movie GOTG Vol. 2 hits me in the feels hard.

Happy to see Gunn back I posted before I understood why Disney let him go but I also said I never thought he did anything wrong, hated the people who targeted him, and felt he got a raw deal and happy he'll get to do Guardians Vol. 3.
    Yup think that's what it is. Vol 2 hits me way harder emotionaly so I'm way more forgiving for other short comings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    There was an attempt to work it out and have him host this yesar but Kevin was over it by then. He knew that they needed him way more then he needed them. The whole thing was dumb, and he should host next year but I'm pretty certain hes done entertaining any of that

Good news.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Batista must have gone to Disney's offices and did this
    I hope that mic is waterproof.

Astonishing Member

So Cernobitch not only failed to oust Gunn from Marvel, he also accidentally got him a gig working for DC?

At least there's still a tiny spark of justice left in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    So Cernobitch not only failed to oust Gunn from Marvel, he also accidentally got him a gig working for DC?

At least there's still a tiny spark of justice left in the system.
    Well he did get him fired for awhile. And now all of us have to wait longer for GOTG 3 but might be worth it to see him do SS aswell. Especially if WB let's him go R rated

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well he did get him fired for awhile. And now all of us have to wait longer for GOTG 3 but might be worth it to see him do SS aswell. Especially if WB let's him go R rated
    In the end I think everyone gets or got what they want up to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I think we are making the same point.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

I thought volume 2 was better mainly because the third act was superior. Though I will admit it was a slow burn

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Can't say I'm very happy about this I really think GG needed new blood.....
    Possibly, but then it needs to be done right. If Gunn had said that he had said what he wanted to say with these characters and allowed Disney to pick a new writer and director, that's one thing. But here this was most assuredly not the case, and what's worse, any new director would knowingly go into a situation where the core cast really wished that Gunn was there instead, and don't want to be there.

I think that's an important reason why Gunn is back: Disney realised the loyalty and solidarity among the GotG actors and the possible directors towards Gunn.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I hope Mr. Gunn is allowed creative freedom to do the film as he originally wanted to. hopefully no more controversies will happen. maybe he'll still be a consultant on future projects, whether he's a director or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope Mr. Gunn is allowed creative freedom to do the film as he originally wanted to. hopefully no more controversies will happen. maybe he'll still be a consultant on future projects, whether he's a director or not.
    It did sound like Gunn had all sorts of cosmic stuff in the works coming down the pike for the MCU.

That said, given marvel is getting all the FOX properties back I wonder if there's even going to be room to do a whole lot. Once they're pumping out Wolverine, Deadpool, and X-Men movies in addition to the stuff they already have (Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Eternals), I imagine their schedule is going to get crowded.