Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Nope...

... Anduinel is RIGHT! And the fact that they actually are AU, makes their performance even that much more impressive.
    #1s are always the highest a new book does. If 30K is impressive, I cringe on how far these will drop by #5

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    They have, Jean, Storm, Cyclops and Iceman were promoted and given solid creative teams, many fans fans of those characters actually enjoyed it and as far i remember they were promoted and giving the as much publicity as any other title and they still didn't sell unless that that Marvel is doing a publicity magic trick with Logan and Wade that i'm not aware of. Comics are a niche, most fans go for what they know as safe, Wolverine and Deadpool are a brand that gurantee at least certain number of people buyin. Those 4?. not so much, at least outside team settings.
    It's more than a one off just to Marvel say that they did. Wolverine popularity was being build for decades.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It's more than a one off just to Marvel say that they did. Wolverine popularity was being build for decades.
    I think popularity is something spontanoeous, it comes naturally.

Just look at how many times Marvel tried to replace Jean with other characters (like rachel, hope, jeen and somehow emma) and make them happen, yet it didn't work.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 03-18-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    If those other characters were as good marvel would push them. Marvel is not a charity is a business, they try to sell what works and wolverine works.

Some characters like Jean (my fave), cyclops, storm, etc are pushed for decades because they are interesting, if other were as good they would up with them. I doubt pushing other characters super hard would have better results this late in the game.
    I think some legit team books would do well.

But the issue comes when a team book is really a solo in disguise where one or two characters get all the love, and others are just around to take up space and / or be nerfed for the pets.

X-Men Gold. That book did NOBODY any favors, but some noted it may as well have been called Kitty & Pals, since she was the only thing that mattered in that book, and in Guggenheim's fanboyism, he made her very unlikable even to some fans.

Weapon X had Mary Sue Logan in this role. Then even when Logan left, Creed took over there. He got the most focus (& still did nothing of note lol) while everyone else was just there. I think things could've been so much better if Pak didn't right the characters like Big Bang Theory. Ya got a book of assassins & mercs. Do a serious story. Not a sitcom.And even bringing Deadpool into that book didn't save it. Sales were still dropping. lol

Anyway, some team books where everyone is important, gets to contribute, and has their own growths & arcs. But again, the X-Office would need to stop relaunching every 6 months & given a chance for long-term stories. But I wonder if that's just out of date writing & it can't work anymore.

If those other characters were as good marvel would push them. Marvel is not a charity is a business, they try to sell what works and wolverine works.

Some characters like Jean (my fave), cyclops, storm, etc are pushed for decades because they are interesting and draw some sales, if others were as good they would up there with them. I doubt pushing other characters super hard would have better results this late in the game.
    Who would say that Venom sells as good as Spider-man? Take chances and put a A+ creative team can do some miracles.

Marvel gonna burnt out Wolverine again, pretty soon

I'm just tired of people complaining about wolverine succes and blaming that for other characters not being important. It doesn't work that way. If anything Logan helps sell books with less notable/marketable members.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I think some legit team books would do well.

But the issue comes when a team book is really a solo in disguise where one or two characters get all the love, and others are just around to take up space and / or be nerfed for the pets.

Anyway, some team books where everyone is important, gets to contribute, and has their own growths & arcs. But again, the X-Office would need to stop relaunching every 6 months & given a chance for long-term stories. But I wonder if that's just out of date writing & it can't work anymore.
    you're right on the disguised solos but i'm not sure what it has to do with Wolverine, he usually plays second fiddle on team books or as cash cow.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 03-18-2019 at 06:44 PM.

I think popularity is something spontanoeous, it comes naturally.

Just look at how many times Marvel tried to replace Jean with other characters and make them happen, yet it didn't work.
    Popularity isn't instantaneous. X-men already got cancelled, Batman wasn't even a top 10 seller on 80s.

You don't simply replace a character with lesser versions

Wolverine popularity was a case of the right quality at the right moment, he was at the time a fresh stereotype for comic books and having someones as ruthless as him working for a team of do-gooders was a novel concept at the time and he recieved qualities stories that showed this (the two Claremont minis, BWS Weapon X and eventually his own solo), now that comics aren't what they used to be that's a lot harder to do.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

melt all these Wolverine stories in a spoon and inject them straight into my eyeballs, he should be is as many series as Batman is in any given month

Who would say that Venom sells as good as Spider-man? Take chances and put a A+ creative team can do some miracles.

Look i'm just saying that is not wolverine's fault if other characters don't succeed.
    he being succesfull probably helps other characters

also i doubt venom selling more than spidey will last long
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 03-18-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I'm just tired of people complaining about wolverine success and blaming that for other characters not being important. It doesn't work that way. If anything Logan helps sell books with less notable/marketable members.
    I think it's less hating on his success & more frustration. Ok, he's successful. Great for him & his fans. But other characters have fans who'd like to see those characters get some focus rather than the same old guy who they have time to put everywhere while some others who could be good in a team book are stuck in limbo.

Same reason some get tired of Mystique. There was even a joke in AXIS that she was on the team to fill her book quota. She's apparently popular, and that's why she's around so much. But her inclusion didn't save Weapon X either. Despite her & Deadpool being bigger sellers, they don't always save the day. But writers don't stop using them just because a book bombed.

I don't think anyone blames Wolverine for other characters not succeeding. lol. But Myself & many others do get fatigued with him because he's everywhere while some of our favorites are in limbo or have been character assassinated & need some extra TLC to get fixed up. Wolverine has his own solo series, which is more than what 98% of others get. So give some other underused characters the spots he takes up in every team book. His solo & one flagship title is cool. But anymore than that is overkill. And writers should try relying on talent & devotion to character to tell a story, rather than trying for any kind of cheap gimmick they can think of. But again, maybe that's an outdated thing that no longer works. Then again, the current way isn't working too much better either when sales are rarely booming.

I think that's what most here hate about Wolverine. He's over-saturated. It's not his fault if characters fail. But at the same time, characters don't necessarily fail because there's not enough Logan. lol And they're not succeeding due to him either. Least not that I can tell.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 03-18-2019 at 07:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Come on, there's nothing IMPRESSIVE about AoXM's performance, lol. It's doing okay. Ish. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I wouldn't say "impressive". They're good for what they are, but not exactly blowing the roof off. A 30K debut still indicates a book that would probably get chopped after the first arc, but since none of these books was ever intended to last more than one arc by design, not so bad. I'm sure Marvel would have liked to see higher numbers, but I don't expect that anyone at the X-Office was weeping into their morning coffee at these pre-orders either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    #1s are always the highest a new book does. If 30K is impressive, I cringe on how far these will drop by #5
    Perhaps impressive was the wrong term, especially when taken out of conteXt. But Uncanny's numbers are hardly anything to shout about, either. I mean, c'mon tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    ... Amazing Nightcrawler debuted only 3K below where Claremont's solo series did.
    ... what were you eXpecting? What did you think a title starring Glob and featuring Armor, Pixie, Rockslide, Anole, & Shark-Girl was gonna do, in today's market, especially bein' an AU? Same goes for a book with Psylocke, Iceman, Jubilee, & Northstar as its leads? Even a main series with Jean, Mags, 'Ro, Kurt, Pete, & Laura could only a muster a mere 25% increase roughly, over the others. But again, headwinds, when the sagging market itself & apparent alt reality fatigue are taken into consideration.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Wolverine is the best and most beloved, it'll always be like that, no matter what virtue signalling X-Men twitter or those stupid podcasts think...
    Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    melt all these Wolverine stories in a spoon and inject them straight into my eyeballs, he should be is as many series as Batman is in any given month
    And much like Batman's comics' direct (or otherwise) market success, that's largely dependent on the not eXactly diverse--and dwindling--demographics, they engage.

Speaking of the market, take a look at the weekly Avengers: No Road Home. It debuts at #10, with 64,505 units ordered. But just 2 issues later, it's dropped by about 50% to the 45th spot, with only 34,837 to its name. These are tough times, for floppies.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

To be fair, X-23 just needs pretty stories to sell good. None of the Avengers solos tie-in with Aaron's status quo (except Thor?). T'Challa's still in space in the future (???).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Venom sold more than Spider-Man this month, now i had seen everything.

As for the rest, yeah, nothing very impresive, but is in an acceptable level.
    Yeah. What's up with that?

Are people still like...

"Oi! It's that yank who turned Cap into a Nazi! Nah, mate." *spits out tea* *buys Venom instead*
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Imagine MCU fail at wolverine like DC didd with bat & sup.