Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'd expect if that was going to happen it would be Bendis to do it. I don't see him handing that big of a project over to anyone, even Miller. Particularly with the joining the military plot point and what not.
    If it were any other team I'd say Bendis likely out muscles them in terms of dibs and all that, but not in this case I don't think. Miller's been talking about his idea for a Superman story that's in the works since before was at DC. And I feel like DC themselves likely fought for Miller to call this "Year One", because as I recall early on Miller wasn't sure this would be called Year One. Add that to the fact that he's gotten push back on using specific characters like Wonder Woman in this story yet has been allowed to use her in ever single Dark Knight book and All Star Batman and Robin (all out of continuity). Why the push back now if not to adhere to a continuity where Superman and Wonder Woman didn't date?

And as I recall Bendis and Miller talked Superman shop last year. Miller commented on finding Bendis' plans for Lois fascinating. Similar to the Ruka thing, I'd imagine if this is in continuity Bendis has been kept in the loop if not outright suggested something.

But again, I don't really know what to think right now. I just find the wording in the solicit to be very....deliberate.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

On board for SUPERMAN and AC, prolly Leviathan too yo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    And she was in the process of getting a boyfriend. That somehow ended up in Titans instead of school and his job at Cat Co. He also managed to regrow all his dreads in three months.

Why is Jon and adult now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    * I'm so genuinely glad that Clark's working with Jor-El. I wanna see that dynamic.

* Really love that we're getting the Els together out in space.

* Justice League 25 sounds amazing.

* Love that Leviathan is getting this much room and scale while linking back to Action Comics.

_________

Am I the only one who think Miller's Year One is sounding more and more like it's maybe in continuity? It just straight up says "the definitive origin of Superman." I don't know what to think.
    I was worried about Clark and Jor-El, now I breathe a sigh of relief knowing they work together and they haven't turned Jor into a Superman villain.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Because he drank his milk regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If it were any other team I'd say Bendis likely out muscles them in terms of dibs and all that, but not in this case I don't think. Miller's been talking about his idea for a Superman story that's in the works since before was at DC. And I feel like DC themselves likely fought for Miller to call this "Year One", because as I recall early on Miller wasn't sure this would be called Year One. Add that to the fact that he's gotten push back on using specific characters like Wonder Woman in this story yet has been allowed to use her in ever single Dark Knight book and All Star Batman and Robin (all out of continuity). Why the push back now if not to adhere to a continuity where Superman and Wonder Woman didn't date?

And as I recall Bendis and Miller talked Superman shop last year. Miller commented on finding Bendis' plans for Lois fascinating. Similar to the Ruka thing, I'd imagine if this is in continuity Bendis has been kept in the loop if not outright suggested something.

But again, I don't really know what to think right now. I just find the wording in the solicit to be very....deliberate.
    I’m still not sure Miller has that clout for in-universe stuff. Bendis, Snyder, and the rest are driving the DCU now. And while Bendis has obvious respect for Miller, he’s made it his mission to kinda redefine Superman for the modern audience, I don’t see him passing such a hugely important part of that onto anyone. Particularly with Miller basically leaving the scripting of this on JRJR. From what I read he gives him like a 3 page outline for each book and JRJR turns that into the issue.

It’s been a while, but listening to the NYCC talk with Bendis and Miller I didn’t get sense they were collaborating. They definitely seemed to share some ideas on the character and what he meant though.

Nice to see that Jor-El will be on the good side by this time. Speaks that his mental state is far more likely to be just that, a mental issue, as opposed to any genuine maliciousness. Not to say that's going to alter anyone's opinion on MOS and the start of this whole thing, but what's done is done there, I just don't want to see him in an antagonistic role anymore for as long as he's still around.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Because we're not allowed to have nice things.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

To each their own, I consider this more of a nice thing than what we had before. At least so far.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To each their own, I consider this more of a nice thing than what we had before. At least so far.
    I agree.

I mean, I don't post about it much - because the people who liked ten year old Jon and the Tomasi/Jurgens run had something they liked taken away, and it's legitimate to be sad about that. But the current state of affairs is a huge improvement from my point of view - and its probably worth pointing out from time to time that it's not a universally disliked development.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I’m still not sure Miller has that clout for in-universe stuff. Bendis, Snyder, and the rest are driving the DCU now. And while Bendis has obvious respect for Miller, he’s made it his mission to kinda redefine Superman for the modern audience, I don’t see him passing such a hugely important part of that onto anyone. Particularly with Miller basically leaving the scripting of this on JRJR. From what I read he gives him like a 3 page outline for each book and JRJR turns that into the issue.

It’s been a while, but listening to the NYCC talk with Bendis and Miller I didn’t get sense they were collaborating. They definitely seemed to share some ideas on the character and what he meant though.
    I can see your point, and some form of them is always running through my mind as a counter argument, but there's just enough doubt and possibility that comes from how DC has decided to market this.

Plus, I think it's worth noting that, oddly enough, Clark's origin doesn't actually matter all that much these day. By origin I mean the specifics of his early days on Earth, and even the specifics of how he became Superman. I mean, Bendis is doing Krypton stuff, sure, but he's been very deliberate not to touch stuff about Smallville or his early life. It's kind of nuts how little it matters to any of the stories going forward.

I could easily see DC being cool with Miller and JR JR technically doing the in continuity origin with $10 price tag, but it being completely optional. I mean, the Three Jokers mystery has been something that's buzzed around Rebirth since Darkseid War and the Rebirth special, but it will only be resolved in a Black Label book for $10. 100% in continuity, but technically optional.

I've had this theory for a while, but I'm starting to think it's true: they're using Lois and Clark's marriage and the birth of Jon as sort of a second and most relevant "origin" point going forward, and his personal origin is more or less trusted as common knowledge with only Krypton (and even then it's only by way of characters in the present) truly being revisited in any real way. I think that lets them have Miller and JR Jr do this book the way they're doing it. Superman's origin seems to have gone the way of those in depth looks at the Phantom Zone or what Jor-El and Zod's relationship was specifically like. They just assume you'll get what's required from context clues in the present day and taking in media. They figure you get it, but there's a story explaining it in detail if you wanna shell out the cash.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-16-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And she was in the process of getting a boyfriend. That somehow ended up in Titans instead of school and his job at Cat Co. He also managed to regrow all his dreads in three months.
    With Titans cancelled he's heading back to limbo. I wonder if Supergirl will return to Earth after the crossover, thus allowing her supporting cast to return?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thoughts:

- Am I the only one who sees Dr. Doom in that Leviathan villain?

- So is Frank Miller still in his ASBR/Spirit phase, or has he made some kind of a comeback of sorts? Because that would effect a lot of my expectations for his attempt at a Superman Year One (beyond his spotty handling of Superman in the past). Will Crazy Steve make a guest appearance in some form?

- Female Doomsday. Huh. Never thought I'd see that to be honest...

- "but also has to deal with how the 10-year-old Superboy is now her age!" Well, she barely interacted with him when he was a kid, so it's not like there's much covered ground there anyways. Will she get to meet Conner again? Does she even remember Conner? I'm always unsure of what their relationship is/was.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I agree.

I mean, I don't post about it much - because the people who liked ten year old Jon and the Tomasi/Jurgens run had something they liked taken away, and it's legitimate to be sad about that. But the current state of affairs is a huge improvement from my point of view - and its probably worth pointing out from time to time that it's not a universally disliked development.
    Now @bold is pushing it. Again, there is no metric to know for sure. But, the reactions have been largely negative, from my perspective.i liked the last issue myself. But, kid jon was pretty damn cool. Bendis has a lot of work cutout for him, if he wants older jon to be as positively received. The current run is still very slow.