Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I'm dreading the MCU version of Adam Warlock to be honest.

I have already written my concerns about that.

I don't think Feige and co. understand what makes Adam Warlock appealing. Most MCU heroes are mostly good at two things: quipping and mugging for the screen before quipping some more. It's almost like the villains are antagonists only because the heroes stole the screen time from them.

Jim Starlin's Warlock isn't that. He's a brooding character that deals with religious satire, trippy metaphysical stuff and the line between sanity and insanity. They already turned Thor from a wise, mythological warrior who talks with a poetic dialect into a goofy fratboy who happens to be a strong alien. I don't want to see another one of my favorite Marvel heroes being turned into a joke.
    You really wanna say they don't understand what makes characters appealing while you're still beating the dead horse of a stereotype that all MCU characters are jokes and do nothing but quip?
    It's honestly baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Neil Gaiman pointed out when he did Thor, Loki and Odin in Norse Myth that he got letters from some saying he was making fun of Marvel while others commended him for being truer to history with a red-headed Thor who was a dimwit.

And you need some kind of affable earthiness to sell the idea of an actual mythological being just another dude in the avengers, rather than all of them dropping down and worshipping him.
    The fun thing is, the mythical Thor isn't really a dim-wit, nor necessarily having red hair. He's quite smart, but doesn't really think things through, and of course has quite the temper. But when he sets down to think, he can come up with good plans and execute them.

As for the red hair, he has been described as "red", but that word when applied to people can imply having rugged or bronze skin, i.e. it implies that he spends a lot of time in outdoors activities.

But affable earthiness is at the core of what the mythological Thor is about. He has a temper, but then he will happily toss down a beer with whatever person he was angry at earlier.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Mighty Member

So you don't think Silver Surfer or Hepzibah and Corsair would fit in GOTG?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    But affable earthiness is at the core of what the mythological Thor is about. He has a temper, but then he will happily toss down a beer with whatever person he was angry at earlier.
    You know Walt Simonson has a series for IDW called Ragnarok...its basically a new approach to Thor and myths outside Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You know Walt Simonson has a series for IDW called Ragnarok...its basically a new approach to Thor and myths outside Marvel.
    Thanks for the tip! Looks interesting.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])