Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I very much dislike the idea of the Colony, but there is absolutely no reason they couldn't return. One of the staples of comics is how easily reversible everything is. Superman died. He came back. Ras Al Ghul died. He came back. Batman was displaced in time. He came back. The Titans disbanded. They reformed. The same is true of the Legion of Doom and the Fearsome Five. And H.I.V.E. And pretty much everybody.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I actually have mixed feelings on the Colony myself. I didnt like what it did with Kate's father and Kate's journey to becoming Batwoman. I remember at the time feeling like she was losing agency in her choice to put on a costume, because her dad had been there quietly encouraging and pushing her to it for his own aims. I recall the later end of Tynion's run trying to balance that a little differently I think, but first impressions, yknow?

But I really do like the idea of Kate leaning into the "soldier" archetype and sensibilities that have permeated her narrative from the beginning. It fits her well and no one else is really doing that, so it's something to help set her apart. And the Colony offers an organization tailor made to fit her, with a visual that is complimentary and direct relationships with her primary supporting cast. She could join any military organization and you'd get the same basic end result, but I think that the Colony offers more ways to keep it personal for Kate (and in writing you want stuff to be personal as often as possible for the drama). I'm not huge on the group, but if you want Kate to go military/paramilitary (which I do) they seem the best choice to me. And restructuring it from the ground up (which would have to be done since the group was disbanded) means you can tweak and adjust things and weed out some of the less desired elements, in the current status quo if not the backstory.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I remember at the time feeling like she was losing agency in her choice to put on a costume, because her dad had been there quietly encouraging and pushing her to it for his own aims.
    But that was the case even in Elegy. Kate decided to become a vigilante, but Batwoman was Jacob's idea.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

As for a creative team, I might sound old fashioned...

But I don't think that Batwoman will ever reach the level of critical acclaim and relative sales success it had during Kane's Elegy period and to a lesser extent, Haden Blackman's New Fifty Two run, unless Kate Kane is once more at the helms of Greg Rucka or J.H. William's lll. Her comics since those two respectively left the title have been in a constant decline of mediocrity. Also, the post 52 Batwoman has a very distinct look, that few can capture besides Williams. It looks right at home in Williams's art nouveau-esque, water color style, but in pretty much everyone else's hands her attire just seems a bit out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Her comics since those two respectively left the title have been in a constant decline of mediocrity.
    Really? The Rebirth run was good, and she was great in Rebirth 'Tec.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Really? The Rebirth run was good, and she was great in Rebirth 'Tec.
    Personally I didn't like Marguerite Bennett's run, and as far as I have observed, her reign on Batwoman was overwhelmingly lukewarm to mixed.

Also, I'm ashamed to say this, but I quite James Tynion's Detective run one issue in when Kate mentioned "Avacado Toast"

As for a creative team, I might sound old fashioned...

But I don't think that Batwoman will ever reach the level of critical acclaim and relative sales success it had during Kane's Elegy period and to a lesser extent, Haden Blackman's New Fifty Two run, unless Kate Kane is once more at the helms of Greg Rucka or J.H. William's lll. Her comics since those two respectively left the title have been in a constant decline of mediocrity. Also, the post 52 Batwoman has a very distinct look, that few can capture besides Williams. It looks right at home in Williams's art nouveau-esque, water color style, but in pretty much everyone else's hands her attire just seems a bit out of place.
    That's a problem with creative teams though, not the character. Everybody has a bad run. If a character is lucky enough to stick around, they'll have many bad runs. Kate's no different. And she's a solid character with a lot to work with. Give her a decent creative team and she'll do respectably well.

Also, more on the point of the topic.....I'm surprised no one has mentioned making her a vampire again, or doing a vampire hunter thing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Also, more on the point of the topic.....I'm surprised no one has mentioned making her a vampire again, or doing a vampire hunter thing.
    She was never a vampire, only hypnotized to believe she was (incidentally, that was in the only bad run she's had, Andreyko's). Having her be an outright vampire hunter would quickly go into some... not great places. I don't think it would be appropriate for her to actively seek out vampires and execute them.

Its not the direction I'd go, Im just surprised no one has suggested something like it.

Was she not a vampire? I think I dropped that run before the finale.

~ Black Panther.

Was she not a vampire? I think I dropped that run before the finale.
    Nope, Nocturna just made her believe she was. It was one of the attempted last-minute fixes by Andreyko.

Extraordinary Member

But I don't think that Batwoman will ever reach the level of critical acclaim and relative sales success it had during Kane's Elegy period
    I think that Elegy was published in TEC and not in Batwoman solo, gave it probably a boost in sales.

Batwoman was at her best when she had her original supporting cast (so glad they are using them in the tv pilot).

Then, her cast gradually got tossed-out. First Andreyko tossed Bette and Catherine. Then Tynion changed Jake into a part-time-villain. Then Bennet replaced Jake with Julia Pennyworth, because apparently Kate need's Bruce's left-over supporting cast and instead of her own original cast.

I like this idea. A lot of focus for Kate.

Bette.....if I had my way I'd have Bette break from Kate and begin training under Nightwing. I want Nightwing and Flamebird to be a thing again (but definitely not romantically; those days are long, long gone!).

Mostly this. But I don't want Bette to completely break from Kate.

I'm with you, Caivu. Serial/periodic literature, even if 'comic book' needs continuity. Otherwise they are one-offs. The problem is we should take outré concepts and create new characters and stories for them. They should live on their own, rather than confusing another narrative.