Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've never got why people made such a big deal out of Kingsley as the Hobgoblin. He always felt kind of bland to me.

Macendale may have not have been as successful, but he had a lot more personality.
    He's everything that post-Clone Saga/Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts era Normal wished he could be.

Hobgoblin is one of the better examples of a spin off villain being just as the original and in some ways better.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    Of all the Spider-Man cartoons Spectacular Spider-man and 1994 Spider-Man are the only ones that to my knowledge have ever featured Calypso and even then she is pretty much deversity hired Curt Connors stand in, in her first animated appearence. Seems like people in general really do not care for Calypso probably because people have an adverstion to female foes and magic in Spider-Man.
    Calypso herself doesn't do much, in the 80's she only showed up like, twice, and all she did was be Kraven's girlfriend who doesn't care about him defeating Spidey, but he wants to defeat Spidey to prove himself worthy of her.

90's is where she showed up the most, where she took control of Connors (Which makes it ironic the 90's had him hiring her), did some **** with zombies, got killed, resurrected, had sex with Alyosha thinking he was Kraven (In other words, got raped by deception), tried to make Alyosha and Spidey kill each other, then got killed by Alyosha.

I'm not exactly sure if magic is that much of an issue on her side, since it's not even that strong outside of those zombies (Which I think DeMatteis ignored when he was using her in that story arc with Alyosha), she didn't show up much, and generally had someone else doing the fighting for her, Kraven himself struggles to be liked outside of Last Hunt, and Calypso is just less interesting than him.

As for being a female villain, I dunno, but it's possible, unfortunately female heroes and villains just are less popular, or aren't given as many chances.

Oh, she was also introduced after Ditko's and Romita's era, villains introduced after that really struggle to be recognizable, Hobgoblin and symbiotes are the biggest exceptions, and Hobgoblin uses Green Goblin's hype, and her being more prominent on the 90's does her no favors... I really liked Black Tarantula for example, and I'm baffled he's not really talked about, and I wonder if being around on the 90's have something to do with that... Or maybe I just overrate him lol.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Mr Negative. Was introduced after BND, made it into the PS4 game yet somehow I can't remember the character doing anything really notable enough to be standing alongside Vulture, Electro and Doc Ock.
    Well, he looks cool lol.

He's everything that post-Clone Saga/Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts era Normal wished he could be.

Hobgoblin is one of the better examples of a spin off villain being just as the original and in some ways better.
    Honestly, Norman in silver age was pretty whatever, he killed Gwen which's nice, but the plot of "He knows Spidey's secret identity but he loses the memory conveniently at the end of the story" got old fast, and it didn't even happen that much too...

After he returned, his character has little in common with the original, even ironically stole some traits from Roderick to look better lol.

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Calypso herself doesn't do much, in the 80's she only showed up like, twice, and all she did was be Kraven's girlfriend who doesn't care about him defeating Spidey, but he wants to defeat Spidey to prove himself worthy of her.

90's is where she showed up the most, where she took control of Connors (Which makes it ironic the 90's had him hiring her), did some **** with zombies, got killed, resurrected, had sex with Alyosha thinking he was Kraven (In other words, got raped by deception), tried to make Alyosha and Spidey kill each other, then got killed by Alyosha.

I'm not exactly sure if magic is that much of an issue on her side, since it's not even that strong outside of those zombies (Which I think DeMatteis ignored when he was using her in that story arc with Alyosha), she didn't show up much, and generally had someone else doing the fighting for her, Kraven himself struggles to be liked outside of Last Hunt, and Calypso is just less interesting than him.

As for being a female villain, I dunno, but it's possible, unfortunately female heroes and villains just are less popular, or aren't given as many chances.

Oh, she was also introduced after Ditko's and Romita's era, villains introduced after that really struggle to be recognizable, Hobgoblin and symbiotes are the biggest exceptions, and Hobgoblin uses Green Goblin's hype, and her being more prominent on the 90's does her no favors... I really liked Black Tarantula for example, and I'm baffled he's not really talked about, and I wonder if being around on the 90's have something to do with that... Or maybe I just overrate him lol.

Well, he looks cool lol.

Honestly, Norman in silver age was pretty whatever, he killed Gwen which's nice, but the plot of "He knows Spidey's secret identity but he loses the memory conveniently at the end of the story" got old fast, and it didn't even happen that much too...

After he returned, his character has little in common with the original, even ironically stole some traits from Roderick to look better lol.
    Nah, I don't think being much around during the 90's has much to do with it. Carnage presense got heavily reduced in the 00's probably do to the many stories with him in the 90's but now he is even more populare then in the 90's if anything.

Also if the 90's ruined comic book characters reputation to the point were writters don't want to use them then there should be a ''no use of the Jackal'' policy at Marvel. Speaking of which people often misrepresent the 90's books by claiming it was all about them symbiotes when really that only goes for some of the early issues. Most of the stories were just the anime villain looking Jackal cackling about how ingenious him and his schemes are and the writters going back and forth on who is a clone and who is the real Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Well he is now anti-hero does that count? What do you mean by tweaking?
    Like the whole host thing just isn't that great. It should just be Eddie Brock.

Mighty Member

Now Hobgoblin barely appears and just not effective as he used to be.

Norman Osborne since his return. I haven't liked a single thing they've done with Norman since his resurrection. I wish he had been left dead after Amazing 122 and that future writers had done more interesting things with Hobgoblin.

Aside from that I agree with all of the arguments in favour of Venom and Carnage.

Astonishing Member

Norman Osbourne/ Green Goblin

Nah, I don't think being much around during the 90's has much to do with it. Carnage presense got heavily reduced in the 00's probably do to the many stories with him in the 90's but now he is even more populare then in the 90's if anything.

Also if the 90's ruined comic book characters reputation to the point were writters don't want to use them then there should be a ''no use of the Jackal'' policy at Marvel. Speaking of which people often misrepresent the 90's books by claiming it was all about them symbiotes when really that only goes for some of the early issues. Most of the stories were just the anime villain looking Jackal cackling about how ingenious him and his schemes are and the writters going back and forth on who is a clone and who is the real Spidey.
    I didn't mean a "90's ruined her reputation", I meant that 90's possibly made her be in a position where she's even less likely to be noticed.

She also had little to ruin anyways, 'cause she was just Kraven's girlfriend who lied to him so he fights Spidey (ASM#209), and then distracted Spidey while Spidey fights Kraven, then she threw a poison dart on Spidey (Spectacular#65), which's really not much, 90's is where she was the most active and had more to do.

Fantastic Member

I've never seen the appeal of Kraven and the fact he's looking like one of the two main villains for the upcoming spider-man ps4 sequel leaves me slightly disappointed, here's hoping insomniac can change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    I've never seen the appeal of Kraven and the fact he's looking like one of the two main villains for the upcoming spider-man ps4 sequel leaves me slightly disappointed, here's hoping insomniac can change my mind.
    He is a bit of a leftover of the Tarzan/explorers of the then dark and mysterious Africa era. Also, his costume looks like something you might see at a gay pride parade(especially with that mustasch), although keep in mind that his creation was before their was any such thing. Although allot of Steve Ditko's design of character such as Scorpion, Electro are also quite questionable as well if you ask me.

Astonishing Member

He is a bit of a leftover of the Tarzan/explorers of the then dark and mysterious Africa era. Also, his costume looks like something you might see at a gay pride parade(especially with that mustasch), although keep in mind that his creation was before their was any such thing. Although allot of Steve Ditko's design of character such as Scorpion, Electro are also quite questionable as well if you ask me.
    Electro is kitsch classic. The wingtips (I don’t know how else to describe them…) on his mask is simultaneously striking and corny.

We’re so used to it now that to us it’s normalized, but at the time he first appeared, the Green Goblin must’ve appeared very… odd. Spidey was right in Superior… he’s basically wearing a man-purse full of weapons, not to mention his outfit is purple, he’s permanently grinning and in his first appearance he was riding a metal broomstick.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Electro is kitsch classic. The wingtips (I don’t know how else to describe them…) on his mask is simultaneously striking and corny.

We’re so used to it now that to us it’s normalized, but at the time he first appeared, the Green Goblin must’ve appeared very… odd. Spidey was right in Superior… he’s basically wearing a man-purse full of weapons, not to mention his outfit is purple, he’s permanently grinning and in his first appearance he was riding a metal broomstick.
    Don't forget the eyeliners. The Goblins all have a witch like appearence which is strange since they are all male. As a matter of fact when I was a kid I used to always call the Hobgoblin a she(never saw a episode with him but he was in the opening of the 1994 TV series and part of allot of merchandises).

I feel like I'm one of the few people who like Kraven even without KLH.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    The appeal is mostly that he's a very evasive enemy for Spider-Man. He can test Peter Spider-Sense the way Mysterio can and actually hold his own against him too.

Otherwise, he's pretty bland.

Although there are certain versions of these characters I enjoy, Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus have always been a little overrated to me.