Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who would you say is Spider-Man’s most overrated rogue?

I’m gonna have to go with Kraven.

Looking back on his stories made me realize that I never liked any of them.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm kind of indifferent to Morlun and the inheritors in comparison to how prominent they were for a while.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Disagree on it being Kraven. Prior to KLH, Kraven was hardly treated as that much of a big deal to be overrated.

I could see a solid case being made for Eddie Brock's Venom. During his time as a Spider-Man rogue, I liked Venom but a lot of that had to do with the way he was designed which in essence seemed like he was more flash than substance especially in comparison to other Spider-Man villains that had more layers to their character (Dr. Octopus, Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, Kraven, Roderick Kingsley/Hobgoblin, etc).

Venom is one of those characters that worked better as a concept than in actual practice, we have two good stories with him, but he isn't as much of a big deal as a villain as most casual fans seems to think, mostly because his popularity make Marvel trying to put him as an anti-hero, when..... well that's definitely not what Eddie was. He can still be a cool villain, he has concept that is strong enough to be Peter's "Dark Reflection", but he never quite got there.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

what does electro even do
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Post-Slott I'm kind of over Doc Ock.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    what does electro even do
    Back in his stories from the sixties - early nineties, a Spider-Man vs Electro fight was actually fun and flashy, with him flying atop lightning and flying his lightning bolts around, and Spidey slinging, jumping, and dodging them, and finding ways to beat him, like opening a fire hydrant, grounding himself with wire, and wearing an insulated costume.

Then in 1993, been given a backstory, Maxwell Dillion, a sad, pathetic man who was rejected and looked down on from his ex-wife and even his mother, that deepened him enough for a couple more compelling stories with him.

Then afterwards, just an occassional supposed next-level super-charge of his electrical powers just to attempt to make it look like he's badder, but mostly still only in the name of crime and scores, and still stomped on repeatedly by Spider-Man.

He still had, my opinion, a staple classic Marvel super villain costume, and his part of being among the more flashier super-powered 1/6th of the Sinister Six. And his appearances in Untold Tales of Spider-Man, issues #7 and #11, purely fun to read ever since I first read them when I was a kid.
    Last edited by ngroove; 03-15-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't know about overrated - people like what they like.

I think it's fair to say that there have only been a small handful of truly great Spider-Man vs Venom stories, and they were his earliest appearances (McFarlane and Larsen era). The visual and powers are cool, and his singular goal of wanting to kill Spider-Man was something new, but his motivation for wanting to do so was weak and difficult to build upon. There hasn't been a good angle for Venom as a Spider-Man villain since he became an anti-hero with "Lethal Protector".

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't know about overrated - people like what they like.

I think it's fair to say that there have only been a small handful of truly great Spider-Man vs Venom stories, and they were his earliest appearances (McFarlane and Larsen era). The visual and powers are cool, and his singular goal of wanting to kill Spider-Man was something new, but his motivation for wanting to do so was weak and difficult to build upon. There hasn't been a good angle for Venom as a Spider-Man villain since he became an anti-hero with "Lethal Protector".
    To be fair though, how many stabs at Venom as a villain again have we got?

Gargan in Marvel Knights and beyond?

Lee Price?

Pretty much when it comes to villainous Venom, it's Brock or bust.

Green Goblin and Venom.

If not for the Spectacular Spider-Man animated TV show, I would've chosen Norman Osborn. But for now, I'll have to choose the Jackal.

Astonishing Member

I'll go with the Inheritors. Morlun works best alone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'll go with the Inheritors. Morlun works best alone.
    The Inheritors are rated highly?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The Inheritors are rated highly?
    Fair point.

iMan 42s

Initially I thought the Inheritors but outside of a handful of people I don't know anybody who actually likes them.

Green Goblin is definitely the one I find the most overrated as it seems all his good stories are behind him. When he branched out into the wider Marvel Universe and got reinvented as Iron Patriot, it was the logical extension of the Green Goblin. You had good stuff coming out of Dark Reign and that development for struggle over what Osborn wants and what he does and where those lines blur with his Goblin persona is good stuff.

So naturally we throw that away for him to become Carnage and screw around with Spider-man. Keep beating that dead horse.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.