Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Initially I thought the Inheritors but outside of a handful of people I don't know anybody who actually likes them.

Green Goblin is definitely the one I find the most overrated as it seems all his good stories are behind him. When he branched out into the wider Marvel Universe and got reinvented as Iron Patriot, it was the logical extension of the Green Goblin. You had good stuff coming out of Dark Reign and that development for struggle over what Osborn wants and what he does and where those lines blur with his Goblin persona is good stuff.

So naturally we throw that away for him to become Carnage and screw around with Spider-man. Keep beating that dead horse.
    Yeah, I don’t expect much from early villain motives. It’s one of the reasons why many other rogues galleries were shafted. They didn’t hold up to modern standards.

Villains like Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus benefit from being iconic enough that writers are willing to invest time in properly developing them.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Carnage. He's just a shallower, redder Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Wow, how did I not say this? Makes Electro look like an ocean of depth. At least Max has original powers. And isn't the star of the worst Spider-Man story.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Venom is one of those characters that worked better as a concept than in actual practice, we have two good stories with him, but he isn't as much of a big deal as a villain as most casual fans seems to think, mostly because his popularity make Marvel trying to put him as an anti-hero, when..... well that's definitely not what Eddie was. He can still be a cool villain, he has concept that is strong enough to be Peter's "Dark Reflection", but he never quite got there.
    I came in here to basically say this. He has a couple of solid stories but his popularity got the better of him. He's been portrayed as more of an anti-hero than a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Wow, how did I not say this? Makes Electro look like an ocean of depth. At least Max has original powers. And isn't the star of the worst Spider-Man story.
    I'm not sure what storyline you're thinking of so I'm just going to assume it's Planet of the Symbites.

This. I already found Venom shallow, so imagine how I find Carnage.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm not sure what storyline you're thinking of so I'm just going to assume it's Planet of the Symbites.
    Or Maximum Carnage, though technically even that's not the worst, at least to me. That singular honor goes to . . . well, I'm not gonna say it, but you all know (or should).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Planet of the Symbiotes is alright. Maximum Carnage is suffering. I have genuine difficulty reading such a long and wack story. It doesn't meet the lowest possible bar. It's like a level of hell.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I must agree (even though I like the character) as he is the definition of a one-note op supervillain (right up there with Doomsday and to a lesser extent Bane).
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Nobody mentioned Mephisto yet, though he started as a Silver Surfer rogue.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    He appears once and suddenly he’s a Spider-Man villain. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I don't talk about trash I burn it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Carnage - (Amazing Spider-Man 361-363, Maximum Carnage) As told from people who once knew him, the newspapers, and Cletus Cassidy himself, he was once in an orphanage, that everyone picked on / abused him, so as a kid, he burnt it down, killing presumably everyone inside.

But before that happened (Amazing Spider-Man Annual 28), one time in Summer Camp, another kid named Billy befriended him, possibly his only friend. Years later, after being Carnage, growing bored with his habits of killing people at random, Cletus attempted to shake up things, to personally target to kill his personal friend, to make his predictability unpredictable again.
    Last edited by ngroove; 03-19-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    He appears once and suddenly he’s a Spider-Man villain. Wow.
    Twice. That storyline, and on a Secret Wars II tie-in Amazing Spider-Man issue. However, if pegged on a single hero of primary enemy-ness, it would be Silver Surfer, constant time-and-again heckler of kidnapping / holding Shalla-Bal against Norrin Radd, and later, messing with him under the disguise of then-recently deceased Frankie Raye.

But however, he's basically everyone's foe, whose other notable wicked deeds include granting demon Zarathos to Johnny Blaze in exchange of saving father, but letting father die anyways, creating Ghost Rider; holding Victor Von Doom's mother in Hell, thus the accident that scarred Doom's face involved attempting to contact the netherworld, later took Doom and Doctor Strange a journey in Hell to free her; Being the father of Blackheart, struggling to control the netherworld between him, as well as conflict with Daredevil and Ghost Rider (Johnny Ketch) from it; And in conflict against the West Coast Avengers, murdered Mockingbird, for a while.
    Last edited by ngroove; 03-19-2019 at 09:35 PM.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Planet of the Symbiotes is alright. Maximum Carnage is suffering. I have genuine difficulty reading such a long and wack story. It doesn't meet the lowest possible bar. It's like a level of hell.
    It's true. It's just fourteen (fourteen!) interminable issues of action figures getting mashed together.

Oh no, Dagger died! Whoops, she's alive again.

Oh hey, it's Nightwatch! Whoops, nobody cares about Nightwatch.

Oh yikes, it's Part 13 and we need to wrap this up! Whoops, we built a...device...to amplify our...goodness? Sure, why not.