Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    He appears once and suddenly he’s a Spider-Man villain. Wow.
    He still committed the most damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Twice. That storyline, and on a Secret Wars II tie-in Amazing Spider-Man issue. However, if pegged on a single hero of primary enemy-ness, it would be Silver Surfer, constant time-and-again heckler of kidnapping / holding Shalla-Bal against Norrin Radd, and later, messing with him under the disguise of then-recently deceased Frankie Raye.
    And Spider-Man had to save him in that story. Talk about appreciation.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The Jackal. Meant very little to me generally, and especially in the aftermath of all the messiness that The Clone Saga (TM) has wrought, it was not worth it to bring him back. But hey, as long as we can constantly be teased that "the real Gwen" is coming back, he'll always have a place in people's hearts... lol..

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Norman Osborne, no seriously not even the writters of Spider-man really get this character why? Because his backstory is ever changing. At first he is a good guy turned insane do to brain damage, then he loses his memmory. Oh, wait he also develops a split personality in issues 96-98 sparking a pointless debate for years among Spider-Man fans in regards to his portrayal in media outside the written stories. Also he had brain damage, no wait he does not infact have brain damage the green formula made him insane not by blowing up but by injecting him with a maddening formula. This is not just in TV shows or movies the Green as it had been doubt is implied to give the person who inhales a bad case of insanity as well as superstrenght ever since Hobgoblin appeared on the scene at least(I have not read the story were Harry Osborne originally becomes the Green Goblin so if that all started all the way back there then I would not know). Please, note in the original Norman Osborne stories this is never implied to be the case, Norman Osborne just has the same origin story as Doc Ock as far as becoming a supervillain. explotion happen. the brain chemistry gets all screwed up. Oh, wait I can hear you say Green Goblin was trying to kill Spider-Man way before becoming the Green Goblin and going insane. Yeah that is another thing with the Norman Osborne/Green Goblin that I don't like he is constantly retconned to be less of a victim of an accident and more and more a victim of the drunken father cliche and having been a monster before Mendel Strom inadventenly made him a wacko.

Change my mind.

Astonishing Member

Morlun.

I’m not sure why he keeps returning. He should’ve been one-and-done in his first arc by JMS 20 (!!!) years ago. That story worked because he was an unstoppable force that Spidey had to overcome his fear in order to confront. Only in a couple of the early Venom stories had I seen Spidey on the run from a bad guy because he was scared of dying and never to this extent. So it was unique and exciting in that sense. But outside of being this omnipotent threat, there’s very little to the character himself. He’s dull and a bit 2-dimensional. So ‘Coming Home’ (Morlun’s first arc) was good, not because of Morlun himself, but due to the effect he had on Spider-Man and the challenge he presented him (I guess a comparison could be made to Doomsday having a similar effect on Superman, even while the character himself is not that interesting). Anyway, Morlun was supposed to die at the end of that arc. Every subsequent reappearance devalues him further. There was ‘The Other’ where he ate Peter’s eye… so extreme, dude! And then that indecipherable garbage with the Inheritors and all the multiverses… we suddenly had a Morlun family with a grandpa Morlun and other forgettable variations of Morlun. Most recently he reappeared in ‘Sinister War’ as some random bit-player in an ensemble of villains and no longer the unstoppable force of nature that would relentlessly hunt Peter for a tense six issue arc. He’d be remembered a lot more fondly if he just never came back in the first place. But the damage has been done and now every time he reappears it’s either a very truncated and pale rehash of ‘Coming Home’ or it’s making his continuity even more convoluted and impenetrable.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 09-24-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Morlun.

I’m not sure why he keeps returning. He should’ve been one-and-done in his first arc by JMS 20 (!!!) years ago. That story worked because he was an unstoppable force that Spidey had to overcome his fear in order to confront. Only in a couple of the early Venom stories had I seen Spidey on the run from a bad guy because he was scared of dying and never to this extent. So it was unique and exciting in that sense. But outside of being this omnipotent threat, there’s very little to the character himself. He’s dull and a bit 2-dimensional. So ‘Coming Home’ (Morlun’s first arc) was good, not because of Morlun himself, but due to the effect he had on Spider-Man and the challenge he presented him (I guess a comparison could be made to Doomsday having a similar effect on Superman, even while the character himself is not that interesting). Anyway, Morlun was supposed to die at the end of that arc. Every subsequent reappearance devalues him further. There was ‘The Other’ where he ate Peter’s eye… so extreme, dude! And then that indecipherable garbage with the Inheritors and all the multiverses… we suddenly had a Morlun family with a grandpa Morlun and other forgettable variations of Morlun. Most recently he reappeared in ‘Sinister War’ as some random bit-player in an ensemble of villains and no longer the unstoppable force of nature that would relentlessly hunt Peter for a tense six issue arc. He’d be remembered a lot more fondly if he just never came back in the first place. But the damage has been done and now every time he reappears it’s either a very truncated and pale rehash of ‘Coming Home’ or it’s making his continuity even more convoluted and impenetrable.
    Morlun was badass af with JMS.
    Spider-verse messed him and the "inheritors" up, Spider-geddon ruined them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I’m gonna have to go with Kraven.

Looking back on his stories made me realize that I never liked any of them.
    I am going with Jackal. I have yet to read the Jackal story that I actually liked.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am going with Jackal. I have yet to read the Jackal story that I actually liked.
    Have you read the original Clone Saga from the 70's?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    Have you read the original Clone Saga from the 70's?
    I did and was no fan ( although it was not the worst story I read).

Venom and Carnage (actually every symbiote that ever existed). I don't understand what's so cool about them. Venom at least resembles the black suit of Spider-Man and he evolved into something more than just a bad guy (for example Agent Venom), but Carnage? He has edgy design, does everything the same all the time and always talks about same things. I don't know why he's so liked amongst fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Venom and Carnage (actually every symbiote that ever existed). I don't understand what's so cool about them. Venom at least resembles the black suit of Spider-Man and he evolved into something more than just a bad guy (for example Agent Venom), but Carnage? He has edgy design, does everything the same all the time and always talks about same things. I don't know why he's so liked amongst fandom.
    I have a hard time seeing how all the symbiotes are overrated when most of them have been bearly used for most of their existance.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I like Carnage because for me he is "Venom done right". Venom is supposed to be a villain, but latter the writer wanted him to be a villain AND a good guy at the same time, what made the character extremely confused and inconsistent, with his motivations being all over the place (at the point that, to this day, readers doesn't know for sure if he's a bad or a good guy). For the other side, Carnage is clearly an enemy of spider-man, being more consistent with his motivations, as simple these could be. The menacing threat that he represents for being a true psycho with superpowers, plus he having a good sense of humor, made me like Carnage as a character.

For me Venom is clearly the most underrated spider-man villain of all time. Cool design and concept, but that's it.

Mighty Member

For me, Norman Osborn.

Harry was the more effective Green Goblin. Better drama, better personal stakes. A good reason why the two keep clashing but failing to kill one another.

I think Ock blows Norman out of the water as THE arch-nemesis.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how all the symbiotes are overrated when most of them have been bearly used for most of their existance.
    I think out of all Symbiote related characters, only Venom and Carnage seems to make any impactful recognization among the fanbase, while others are barely relevent. (Maybe exception of Anti-Venom I guess?)

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    I think out of all Symbiote related characters, only Venom and Carnage seems to make any impactful recognization among the fanbase, while others are barely relevent. (Maybe exception of Anti-Venom I guess?)
    Well, anti Venom is literally just the old Venom with a new coat of paint and powers.

Morlun he just a crappy character from a terrible writer