Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    Well, anti Venom is literally just the old Venom with a new coat of paint and powers.
    I always thought “Anti-Venom” was dumb. Awful color scheme too. Why can’t Agent Venom and Eddie Brock Venom co-exist? It’s comics. Just find a dumb way to split the symbiote in two (maybe clone it).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I always thought “Anti-Venom” was dumb. Awful color scheme too. Why can’t Agent Venom and Eddie Brock Venom co-exist? It’s comics. Just find a dumb way to split the symbiote in two (maybe clone it).
    That was the plan at first. Brock would acquire the Venom clone created back in Daniel Way's Venom series and coexist as the original Venom with Flash Thompson as "Agent Venom." Then the writer thought it was a better idea to bond the Venom clone with Flash's teenage neighbor Andi, which gave us Mania. Fairly cool design and intriguing character, in my view.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Has anyone else said Joe Quesada yet? I feel like he's given too much credit for actually succeeding with a plan that MANY others had tried before
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Has anyone else said Joe Quesada yet? I feel like he's given too much credit for actually succeeding with a plan that MANY others had tried before
    He is not populare enough to be considered overrated.

There are a couple for me.

Morlun tops the list for reasons already mentioned. The first time he appeared I was like holy crap! Not I could just care less and am a little annoyed. I did enjoy the Spiderverse story but i thought it kind of tacked on a bit.

Norman Osborn. I wouldnt mind him so much if pretty much everything that happened to Peter was some kind of plot by Norman. Then recon after recon after recon. I liked him at one point but now im like Meh. I agree with Zero Doc Ock is the real Spiderman Arch Villain. I mean the dude took over Peter's mind and body for crying out loud.

Venom. He is alright I just dont get why he is so big. I mean oh look a dark version of Spiderman. Yawn. Been there done that with pretty much every hero in the world. And now he is an anti hero? I did enjoy his solo comics but I just dont get why people go so nuts over him.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-25-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I've never got why people made such a big deal out of Kingsley as the Hobgoblin. He always felt kind of bland to me.

Macendale may have not have been as successful, but he had a lot more personality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've never got why people made such a big deal out of Kingsley as the Hobgoblin. He always felt kind of bland to me.

Macendale may have not have been as successful, but he had a lot more personality.
    I 100% agree with you. Maybe it was because I started reading Spidey when Jason Macendale was Hobgoblin, but I always thought he was a much more engaging character than the Ned Leeds/Roderick Kingsley incarnation. He was an amoral sociopath, but he had an inferiority complex, which made him interesting to read about. He was always looking to enhance his powers, whether through fusing with Demogoblin or then allowing himself to become a cyborg. It’s a shame he got knocked off to make room for another bland evil millionaire businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Because both Eddie Brock and Flash Thompson's relationships to the Venom Symbiote are very particular and distinctive. Neither of them I imagine would actually accept calling themselves Venom without having the actual Venom Symbiote. Or well, that's how I imagine it was for a time, since Donny Cates argued the opposite.

On topic: Definitively Venom. I'm a Venom fan, but I prefer almost all incarnations as anti-heroes or the like. Since Venom as an actual Spider-Man villain was incredibly one-note. Eddie lacked the wits or smarts that bigger villains like Green Goblin, Doc Ock or Hobgoblin had, which made him a very limited character. - Almost all of his stories could be summarized in "Venom tricks Spider-Man into a fight," and most stories - alternate universes or otherwise - that portray him as a more intelligent or scheming character tend to feel very unauthentic.

Astonishing Member

After all these years, it's still Venom and Carnage.

Venom is at least a good and interesting villain, just not archenemy material. The Trinity sell was always forced. Venom doesn't have the complex characteristization of Green Goblin and Doc Ock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    After all these years, it's still Venom and Carnage.

Venom is at least a good and interesting villain, just not archenemy material. The Trinity sell was always forced. Venom doesn't have the complex characteristization of Green Goblin and Doc Ock.
    I think it's not necessarily a need for complexity so much as pure, seething, motivation and physicality that sells Venom as a threat and why he's so dangerous to Spider-Man and is the most consistently present villain in media adaptions alongside Gobby and Ock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Carnage. He's just a shallower, redder Venom.
    He's also not in many great stories. At least Venom has the initial Michelinie/ McFarlane showdowns.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's not necessarily a need for complexity so much as pure, seething, motivation and physicality that sells Venom as a threat and why he's so dangerous to Spider-Man and is the most consistently present villain in media adaptions alongside Gobby and Ock.
    The same can be said of Morlun and how much of a threat he is, but no one is trying to sell him as complex on the level of Green Goblin and Doc Ock. No one talks about there being a Big Four with Morlun included the same way they do with Venom, even though Morlun is just as much of a physical threat if not more.

Agree, i dont understand it either.
    Maybe he was big back, when they introduced him, but I have yet to read a new Hobgoblin story, that's really good.

Mighty Member

Agreed.

Although I actually liked the Phil Urich Hobgoblin a lot. You had to completely ignore how backbreakingly stupid the characterization of Phil was, sure, but I'm talking just in terms of use as a villain not as a continuity element. I liked the anti-Peter element with the double identity. I liked the alternate tech for the gear. It wasn't the greatest Spidey villain ever by a long shot, but it was fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The same can be said of Morlun and how much of a threat he is, but no one is trying to sell him as complex on the level of Green Goblin and Doc Ock. No one talks about there being a Big Four with Morlun included the same way they do with Venom, even though Morlun is just as much of a physical threat if not more.
    Venom is more personal and obsessive than Morlun is, and most adaptions connect Peter to Brock more, while Morlun just kind of comes out of nowhere.

Venom has the whole alien costume/black suit saga that builds off into creating a major threat for Spider-Man. And is basically an anti-Spider-Man in terms of visuals and personality, which Morlun definitely isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Agreed.

Although I actually liked the Phil Urich Hobgoblin a lot. You had to completely ignore how backbreakingly stupid the characterization of Phil was, sure, but I'm talking just in terms of use as a villain not as a continuity element. I liked the anti-Peter element with the double identity. I liked the alternate tech for the gear. It wasn't the greatest Spidey villain ever by a long shot, but it was fun while it lasted.
    I didn't like how Slott would never let Peter get a clean win against him till the bitter end of his run.

Kind of funny that they ended up merging that version of the Hobgobling with Harry in the last Spider-Man cartoon and made him a good guy.