Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The perfect table

One of my favorite ongoing things in the MU is Ben Grimm's poker game. It has popped up and been talked about for years and a number of characters have gone to it.

A poker game can be a fun night to hang out with your buddies. Who is the best mix for a game? Who is your favorite table?

No telepaths, of course, Daredevils is out with his senses. I am icy on mystics too. The game should be fun.

You don't want guys who suck the air out of the room, sorry spiderman and hawkeye you are too chatty.

I figure

Thing, Cage, Wolverine, War Machine, and Captain Marvel

I would rotate Iron man, Rand, Panther, and Reed in the sixth chair. You want some buys with deep pockets who you can take to the cleaners.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I always took Ben's games as a kind of friendly games, so deep pockets aren't necessary. In the past, even Jarvis has attended several. In fact, deep pockets tend to make games less fun.

I sort of think the supergenius-level guys would be banned for card counting. They're just no fun, and Reed sucks the air of entire cities, imo.

Basically, my list comes down to the 6 heroes I think would be the most fun to just hang with over drinks and junk food.

Thing - of course
    Hercules - less morose than he's been lately... preferrably
    Spidey - there probably isn't a guy I want around more
    Captain Marvel
    Wonder Man
    Beast
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-16-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Aunt May, she needs to feed her habit.

I'm not so sure the super-genius types should be banned. The skills for poker are very different than calculation alone. Sure Reed could calculate the chances of an inside straight but trust me who's played poker with a bunch of STEM folks, the talents for cards are a LOT more than the math.

I could see Nick Fury (either OG Nick, Nick Jr, or Sam Fury) wanting to get in on the game to both have fun as well as gathering emotional intel on them.

On a side note, I always thought a mini series entitled "poker night" would be awesome. 4 issues each depicting a different group of heroes (Maybe one issue being villains) playing poker and what happens next.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    One of my favorite ongoing things in the MU is Ben Grimm's poker game. It has popped up and been talked about for years and a number of characters have gone to it.

A poker game can be a fun night to hang out with your buddies. Who is the best mix for a game? Who is your favorite table?

No telepaths, of course, Daredevils is out with his senses. I am icy on mystics too. The game should be fun.

You don't want guys who suck the air out of the room, sorry spiderman and hawkeye you are too chatty.

I figure

Thing, Cage, Wolverine, War Machine, and Captain Marvel

I would rotate Iron man, Rand, Panther, and Reed in the sixth chair. You want some buys with deep pockets who you can take to the cleaners.
    Why Daredevils is out due to his senses but Logan, who has the same, is in?

Spectacular Member

i wouldn't want to play with Reed at the table, he wouldn't even be trying to but he would be counting those cards, damn equations would win every hand

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm not so sure the super-genius types should be banned. The skills for poker are very different than calculation alone. Sure Reed could calculate the chances of an inside straight but trust me who's played poker with a bunch of STEM folks, the talents for cards are a LOT more than the math.
    Pretty sure the guy who can morph his body and has constantly lied to his family for decades about nearly everything has the most perfect poker face ever, as well.

Tony strikes me as a "wiz" at card games, too.

T'Challa might even be worse than either of them.

Pym maybe. Just make sure no ants are giving him signs from across the room.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-17-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Pretty sure the guy who can morph his body and has constantly lied to his family for decades about nearly everything has the most perfect poker face ever, as well.

Tony strikes me as a "wiz" at card games, too.

T'Challa might even be worse than either of them.

Pym maybe. Just make sure no ants are giving him signs from across the room.
    Poker skills include both hiding your emotions as well as reading those emotions in others. Reed has been horrible at reading other people. Tony may not necessarily have that talents to be a great card player. Same with Pym. T'Challa, on the other hand, may have the skills, but they do not come from his brains.

The "card counting" in poker is fairly simple. There are probably at least a dozen people in each HS graduating class who can do it and the skills needed to utilize it are easily developed. based on the poker players and geniuses I've known the math talents aren't that big for poker, especially betting poker.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Why Daredevils is out due to his senses but Logan, who has the same, is in?

DD can hear when when people lie. Logan could smell if you got nervous bluffing but I am not sure Ben even sweats and Cage would be too cool to be nervous.

The big brains could be trouble with card counting but I would expect half the time they would be busy thinking about their next invention. Plus no way Ben does not know how to play Reed and likewise Luke Danny.

It would make for a cool story around the game either people having adventures getting to it or soething happens during it.

DD can hear when when people lie. Logan could smell if you got nervous bluffing but I am not sure Ben even sweats and Cage would be too cool to be nervous.

The big brains could be trouble with card counting but I would expect half the time they would be busy thinking about their next invention. Plus no way Ben does not know how to play Reed and likewise Luke Danny.

It would make for a cool story around the game either people having adventures getting to it or soething happens during it.
    Logan's ability relies on more than just sweat and scent. It's heartbeat, voice shifts, and even body language.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

It's a moot point. Matt can't play as he can't tell which card is which!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ben and Frank Castle. Head to head. Rounders style.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's a moot point. Matt can't play as he can't tell which card is which!
    He played against a pro in Soule's run and did okay for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    He played against a pro in Soule's run and did okay for himself.
    DD's sense have not been consistently portrayed. He evidently could play cards by Soule but Miller had him unable to ID his father's photograph. He's also been noted as being able to read the ink on newsprint by touch. Byrne's had him unable to use his radar sense to get through Sue's forcefield, but Miller's had him driving with a windshield. So who knows what DD should be able to do with a hand of cards?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    DD's sense have not been consistently portrayed. He evidently could play cards by Soule but Miller had him unable to ID his father's photograph. He's also been noted as being able to read the ink on newsprint by touch. Byrne's had him unable to use his radar sense to get through Sue's forcefield, but Miller's had him driving with a windshield. So who knows what DD should be able to do with a hand of cards?

He can read printed text so I suppose the cards would be included in that. HE traces his fingers over text.