Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    Jordan D White has already said he's opposed to the characters having children, so yeah, it's not happening anytime soon

Personally I don't get the fear of maturing the characters as lets face it, from Xavier to .....hmm .....maybe Jubilee and Kitty, taking age and chronology into account, all the characters in-between are Veteran characters and so have 'age'

Pregnancy has massive story beat potential, especially for characters like Rogue, Storm, Magik (off the top of my head) and fatherhood for Gambit, Nightcrawler, Beast and even Angel would/could be emotive, given their own fathering/pasts/circumstances.
    Do you think Rogue and Gambit would be good parents??

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Do you think Rogue and Gambit would be good parents??
    Yikes! 'Good' parents! that's a minefield and impossible to 'bite-size', they'd provide, protect, care for sure, so yeah

I forgot the Apocalypse Twins for Angel, which I liked as characters, powersets were weird though.
    Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 03-17-2019 at 02:54 PM.

I think they could be. At least, they would not be any worse than any other X-parents have been historically.

Gambit has shown an ability to be nurturing and mentoring in his friendship with Laura. Rogue had a major arc inwhich teaching and mentoring made her decision of what she wanted to do during the Schism. But obviously there could be a debate on what constitutes "good" versus "bad" parenting even among actual parents.

But if loving, caring, providing, and nurturing is the basis ... then I would say yes.

Though I think an interesting plot point for X-kids in general would be the degree to which they have felt neglected by or put in danger by the lives their parents live. And also what kind of morality the children of heros and vigilantes take on.

BANNED

Yikes! 'Good' parents! that's a minefield and impossible to 'bite-size', they'd provide, protect, care for sure, so yeah

I forgot the Apocalypse Twins for Angel, which I liked as characters, powersets were weird though.
    It's a shame Remender discarded them that easily, and an even bigger shame I can't see them coming back anytime soon, since I can't figure where to fit the twins.

Pretty sure the twins’ parents aren’t wallpaper x-characters given that Brisson did say that “only time will tell” if they’re ever revealed; if they aren’t the main X-men that we already know, what’s the point of revealing some background characters then? He also said that since the timeline got disrupted after extermination, it’s possible that the parents in the normal timeline won’t be having the kids. If that’s not the perfect excuse to not tie Rogue and Gambit down with kids in the course of their marriage (given how opposed Jordan White and Marvel in general are about superheroes starting a family), then idk what is.

That, and the girl twin having the reverse of Rogue’s powers (implanting memories vs taking away memories) and both of them having Remy’s pretty eyes.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I think they could be. At least, they would not be any worse than any other X-parents have been historically.

Gambit has shown an ability to be nurturing and mentoring in his friendship with Laura. Rogue had a major arc inwhich teaching and mentoring made her decision of what she wanted to do during the Schism. But obviously there could be a debate on what constitutes "good" versus "bad" parenting even among actual parents.

But if loving, caring, providing, and nurturing is the basis ... then I would say yes.

Though I think an interesting plot point for X-kids in general would be the degree to which they have felt neglected by or put in danger by the lives their parents live. And also what kind of morality the children of heros and vigilantes take on.
    Giving a character a kid is not a good thing in comics. It always ends up in one of these ways.

1 - kid gets killed
    2 - kid gets rapid aged up
    3 - parents retire (which pretty much never sticks which leads to options 1 or option 2)

I can think of only one character who has ever had a kid and retired and stayed retired, and that the Jack Knight Starman over at DC.

The Fantastic Four are the only one that have kept kids around as part of the story, and both of their kids have been aged up at one time or another.

You can not have parents running around being superheroes in this day and age. Even in the comics.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

kids can work in comics, i just that marvel has a weird aversion to them.

Just look at batman, all robins are like his kids, Supes has had kids too, or wolverine and his relationship with Jubilee/Kitty/Laura (thecnically not his kids but he acts fatherly to them from time to time)
    They can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Giving a character a kid is not a good thing in the Big 2. It always ends up in one of these ways.

1 - kid gets killed
    3 - parents retire (which pretty much never sticks which leads to options 1 or option 2)

I can think of only one character who has ever had a kid and retired and stayed retired, and that the Jack Knight Starman over at DC.

The Fantastic Four are the only one that have kept kids around as part of the story, and both of their kids have been aged up at one time or another.

You can not have parents running around being superheroes in this day and age. Even in the comics.
    FTFY. Outside the Big 2 like in Invincible works with kids.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Giving a character a kid is not a good thing in comics. It always ends up in one of these ways.

1 - kid gets killed

Just because something hasn't been done or done well in the past, doesn't mean it can't be done now.

In fact, it would be a story that hasn't been thoroughly told and really there aren't a lot of those to be had. I don't believe it's impossible at all. Maybe challenging, maybe difficult ... but aren't these the types of stories that need to be explored? And there are already superheros (still in action) with small children ... Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Jessica Drew, Sue and Reed Richards, Jubilee are just a few. It can be done.

Astonishing Member

It works if you don't take it all that seriously. Like if it's a comedy or if you at least let the child be as weird as the parents.

For example, the Disney cartoon Darkwing Duck is essentially a superhero parody. One of the best things in that show is his relationship with his adopted daughter Gosalyn. Popeye has a number of superhero-y traits and he was essentially Swee'Pea's father.

People think kids in comics have to be like real kids for some reason. Small and vulnerable and innocent, etc. They really don't, though. They can be like the kids in cartoons who go on adventures and stuff all the time.

Yes! Thank you! Someone gets it!

I mean the PowerPack kids for Pete's Sake! The whole notion of mischievous superpowered kids sneaking out to have adventures is just fun. And what about Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur? I mean, seriously there is a market for comic stories about kids for kids and not the kind that pander down to them and talk down to them. They hate that. Kids are smart and know about real world issues. Harry Potter anyone? And the X-Men don't really have a team that is aimed for the 8-13 age of entry level superhero comic fans. Who will be tomorrow's comic readers?

An X-kids book could do really well with the right story angle and writer.

Also, here's a secret ... many, if not most, kids don't hang out with their parents 24-7. There are nannies, daycares, extended family, schools, and flexible work schedules for a reason. Most parents work. Is superheroing not a job of a sort? Parents are doctors, lawyers, military personnel, firefighters, police officers ... many of whom have extended hours away from their kids and/or put their lives in danger. Yet somehow they figure out how to parent. It can be done and more accurately reflects the modern reality IMO.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 03-17-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Yet somehow they figure out how to parent. It can be done and more accurately reflects the modern reality IMO.
    There's plenty of people who opt out of having kids. I'm a fan of hero offspring but thinking about it would up he ethical to bring a kid into this already overworked world? Let alone many society's shortcomings but for a kid to have its own rogue gallery at birth is an anxiety level unheard of. And whyyy procreate in the first place? Be a real hero and adopt an uruly fifteen year old
    all these surprise future kids just mean the X-Men need A. better condoms, B Improve their pull out game, C Fully stocked on Plan B and D better instructions to the Planned Parenthood clinic

What's worse is that throughout the entire ordeal we never got to see Angel's reaction to it or Young Angel in that time period. Everyone is like oh god these are Angels kids... lets not tell the younger version or the brain dead version! With the way another end of the world for mutants happened it sounded like Angel caused it that time. Considering the controversy with the run and other things. It was all sweped under the rug. Not even in Apocalypse Wars it was mentioned that he had kids. To me they were just copy pasted from Zolas kids with one of them leaning to good while the sister is the bad one with desires to become a ruling tyrant. :/

I'll just stick to the other X-kids.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    There's plenty of people who opt out of having kids. I'm a fan of hero offspring but thinking about it would up he ethical to bring a kid into this already overworked world? Let alone many society's shortcomings but for a kid to have its own rogue gallery at birth is an anxiety level unheard of. And whyyy procreate in the first place? Be a real hero and adopt an uruly fifteen year old
    all these surprise future kids just mean the X-Men need A. better condoms, B Improve their pull out game, C Fully stocked on Plan B and D better instructions to the Planned Parenthood clinic
    I'm not advocating for all or even most of the X-Men to be parents. Many people shouldn't be parents or don't want to be. It's not a given in modern society and that's as it should be. Though as much as they seem to be getting it on, seems like they have birth control pretty well figured out actually. And technically they are already in the business of adopting unwanted mutant children. It's kinda their group MO, albeit on a large scale.

I would like to see some X-Men struggle with the ethical/moral decision of bringing a mutant child into the world, knowing what they would face. It would challenge how much hope and faith they really have in the dream. I don't think it's realistic that so few of them are biological parents. It's an avenue that has only been explored in a limited capacity in comics and one that some readers would very much relate to. We've already done "the X-Men not as parents". Plenty of those stories are available to read for readers who prefer them.

And as the recent UXM issue pointed out, if there are no new spontaneous mutants being born of humans due to the X-gene vaccine, will there be future mutants for them to protect? Will their culture die with them if they don't have children? Do they care? Granted I expect that plot thread will likely be solved at some point by Rosenberg, but it does beg the question: If mutants are proud of their heritage and hopeful for their future, wouldn't they want to continue it on? Do they want a legacy beyond their heroic deeds? And why is adoption the only acceptable avenue?

Now with the mutants presumably coming front and center to the MCU in upcoming years, I don't think the timing for such stories is specifically now. They have been bringing the characters back to their most familiar forms lately for a specific reason and I highly doubt we'd see a major shift in status quo for any popular character like this. But I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not advocating for all or even most of the X-Men to be parents. Many people shouldn't be parents or don't want to be. It's not a given in modern society and that's as it should be. Though as much as they seem to be getting it on, seems like they have birth control pretty well figured out actually. And technically they are already in the business of adopting unwanted mutant children. It's kinda their group MO, albeit on a large scale.
    touchè
    lol