Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Criticism of Female Furies Cover Erupts Into Twitter Spat

So things got rather ugly after Claire Napier, a comics critic and editor, criticized the cover for Female Furies #2.

To summarize, when Napier criticized the cover for misrepresenting the comic issue, Dan Panosian, the cover's artist tried to defend it. When Napier held to her original view of the cover, Panosian tweeted at her several times to defend it. A friend of his, Frank Tieri got involved and threats and insults were involved.
    https://bookriot.com/2019/03/13/what...g-with-comics/
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-16-2019 at 09:02 AM.

This is so f***ing stupid. Does the cover misrepresent the contents of the issue? Certainly a lot less than many other covers. That's kind of picking at straws. As fpor Lashina's "cooch strap", isn't that part of her costume? This is a series of overreactions feeding into one another like that snake consuming its own tail.

So, if I'm reading the article right:
    A critic interprets a cover how they see it
    The cover artist explains what it is/what it was intended it to be and continues to insist that point
    The critic isn't swayed because that's just how they see it

Maybe a little passive-aggressive here, but nothing too egregious

The cover artist goes on a rant on their Twitter about how critics and artists should act
    The buddy comes in to defend the cover artist and starts insulting people/other critics (and what could be interpreted as threats I guess)
    Other people in the comic book industry come to the buddy's defense (even gets a hashtag apparently)
    Some back peddling and the buddy deletes the tweets, and insists that wasn't them. The cover artist also says that's just how the buddy is.

Huh.
    Last edited by Lirica; 03-16-2019 at 10:38 AM.

There are professional comic critics?

Wow, what an utter clusterfuck. Now, I'm just waiting for there to be some sort of explosion and furor regarding Female Furies, but I didn't expect it to be over this. At the same time, this doesn't bode well.

I think Claire Napier makes a cogent point on where the focal point of the cover is. Dan Panosian clearly intended another focal point. That sort of mismatch between intended perspective and actual perspective happens all the time in art (even Michael Whelan). You note it, hopefully learn a bit from it, and move on.

But you don't blame the messenger (or in this case, critic).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Sadly there are and many are little better than somewhat skilled trolls of one bent or another. They are always agitating because the industry is not the way they want it to be (not nostalgic enough, not progressive enough, not inclusive enough, not action orientated enough, exact).
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Always Rakzo

The first thing that I thought after seeing that cover was: "Do I have to expect some bondage in this issue?".

The second thing that I thought once that I read the actual issue was: "Oh, more of the same eyerolling stuff with an incredibly cringey Trump-like character screaming to your face: "YOU NASTY WOMAN!" to boot".

Overall, pretty bad material.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    *Ahem*

(Not really).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So things got rather ugly after Claire Napier, a comics critic and editor, criticized the cover for Female Furies #2.

To summarize, when Napier criticized the cover for misrepresenting the comic issue, Dan Panosian, the cover's artist tried to defend it. When Napier held to her original view of the cover, Panosian tweeted at her several times to defend it. A friend of his, Frank Tieri got involved and threats and insults were involved.
    https://bookriot.com/2019/03/13/what...g-with-comics/
    Taken from the article.

"Please note that all of these supporters are men. You might also catch what other sharp eyes did: that Marvel’s Editor-in-Chief, C.B. Cebulski liked quite a lot of those tweets."

BWAHAHA. Imagining C.B. sitting around reading the tweets shouting out "Yeah!" and "In your face!"
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-16-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . As for Lashina's "cooch strap", isn't that part of her costume?
    From her appearance in Mister Miracle #6 (January-February 1972):

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Wow, what an utter clusterfuck. Now, I'm just waiting for there to be some sort of explosion and furor regarding Female Furies, but I didn't expect it to be over this. At the same time, this doesn't bode well.

I think Claire Napier makes a cogent point on where the focal point of the cover is. Dan Panosian clearly intended another focal point. That sort of mismatch between intended perspective and actual perspective happens all the time in art (even Michael Whelan). You note it, hopefully learn a bit from it, and move on.

But you don't blame the messenger (or in this case, critic).
    Didn't get that vibe at all. Napier just came off as one of those types so addicted to outrage that they will create some if they can't find any. She wasn't so much a critic as she was a crazy fan. Panosian was very patient.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Wow, some of the responses here seem to be proving the point of the article.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with @kjn.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to looking at

Nontroversies are amusing.

Why i stopped reading Marvel was over stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Didn't get that vibe at all. Napier just came off as one of those types so addicted to outrage that they will create some if they can't find any. She wasn't so much a critic as she was a crazy fan. Panosian was very patient.
    The guy tweeted at her eight times despite her making it clear she was not changing her mind, got a bunch of other writers to dog pile her and she's the crazy one?

Bare in mind all she did was criticize the cover. He was the one who sought her out.