Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The best Superman stories of the modern era

I found this article because I wanted to know what others thought about what the best Superman stories of the modern era (21st century) were. Some great choices, especially All Star Superman and Superman Secret Identity.

Can you imagine we never had All Star? I can't. It's a real gem that elevates Superman as a character. I feel so lucky I read it.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-best-sup...era-1825416272

Do you agree? What are your top best stories of the modern era?
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-16-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

well,most agree,but some didn't,
    my personally thought superman's best stories of the modern era:
    ALL-STAR SUPERMAN
    SUPERMAN SECRET IDENTITY
    SUPERMAN BIRTHRIGHT
    NEW52 GRANT MORRISON'S SUPERMAN RUNNING ISSUES
    SUPERMAN BEYOND
    SUPERMAN RED SON
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Geez, did they pick the wrong damn New 52 story. Replace Truth with Morrison's Action vol. 2. Or Pak's run before Doomed started. Or Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman. King's Super Friends seems like an odd addition too. I mean, its a good issue, don't get me wrong, but a guest appearance in another title doesn't really scream greatest Superman stories to me. Its a Batman story.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Final Crisis. That was peak Superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I never really know how people define what's modern, but I see they mean in the 2002 ish and on graphic novel era. Fair enough. But on top of that I think defining the best of a serial character as standalones and sharp spikes is missing the point. Even the book stores that facilitated that sort of market are flagging and dropping them, with 90% of the never ending stream of product they have liquidated or collecting dust.

Not that the picks are necessarily bad or that the writer doesn't adequately explain them. But if I did this list catered to the same audience, I'd say:

- All Star Superman
    - Adventures of Superman 612-623
    - Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes
    - Superman For All Seasons
    - Secret Identity
    - Superman Forever
    - Action Comics New 52: vols 1-3
    - Coming of the Supermen
    - Man and Superman
    - Revenge
    - Camelot Falls 1 and 2
    - Superman: The Dark Side
    - Superman Adventures vol 1-5
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Geez, did they pick the wrong damn New 52 story. Replace Truth with Morrison's Action vol. 2. Or Pak's run before Doomed started. Or Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman. King's Super Friends seems like an odd addition too. I mean, its a good issue, don't get me wrong, but a guest appearance in another title doesn't really scream greatest Superman stories to me. Its a Batman story.
    This. I mean, for the most part that list is the same as 95% of us would come up with. All-Star, Secret Identity, American Alien, Birthright, etc.

The Batman issue was good and it did a great job digging into Clark's head and the dynamic between him and Bruce, but that wasn't a Superman story. It was one issue of Batman.

If you wanted a new-ish single issue, hard to get better than Tomasi's Superman #7 (I think it was 7?) where they go to the fair. Or Pak's Bizarro issue; that was incredible.

And Truth? I mean, conceptually it was interesting (at least at first). Pak's first few issues especially were very strong. But Truth? Over Morrison's first arc of Action? That's damn near criminal!

But the inclusion of Action 775 is beyond dubious. That was an awful issue that was almost comical in how badly it failed to do what it set out to do.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

My personal list of the best of the 21st Century:

Our Town
    Son of Superman (2016)
    What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?
    Superman: Secret Identity
    Brainiac
    Up, Up, and Away!
    American Alien
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

But the inclusion of Action 775 is beyond dubious. That was an awful issue that was almost comical in how badly it failed to do what it set out to do.
    I agree the kind of list is really a majority thing, but also admit that I just wouldn't ever be so strongly interested in recommending the same stuff you always see. I mean hopefully for all that All Star has been recommended, most everyone's already been there. Why not start there? But I think that's also why you always see Action 775 mentioned, too, because somehow everyone has been there and too many people like it to let the negative really be heard.

Action Comics volume 2 #41 would be in my best single issues of the last 20 years list.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Action Comics volume 2 #41 would be in my best single issues of the last 20 years list.
    Yeah, Pak really did solid work with those early Truth issues. I couldn't remember the issue numbers but 41 (had to give it a Google) would definitely be worth some serious consideration for "best single issue" over the last couple decades.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Emperor Joker
    What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?
    Red Son
    This Was Your Life
    All Star Superman
    Up, Up, and Away
    Brainiac
    New 52 Action Comics
    American Alien

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would put Morrison's World Against Superman over Truth any day of the week.

The rest are good picks, although I would also add Final Crisis, which is ultimately a Superman/Batman story.

Retired

The important part of FINAL CRISIS for Superman was FINAL CRISIS: SUPERMAN BEYOND 3D--which is like a separate story unto itself.

It seems to me like many of the favourite Superman stories tend to be out of continuity--or at least going beyond conventional continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The important part of FINAL CRISIS for Superman was FINAL CRISIS: SUPERMAN BEYOND 3D--which is like a separate story unto itself.

It seems to me like many of the favourite Superman stories tend to be out of continuity--or at least going beyond conventional continuity.
    I've noticed that too. Why do you think it's that? More freedom to create?

Also, I've noticed many mentioning Final Crisis as a quality Superman story.

I feel like Final Crisis was a "Superman" story in that the character had a major role, but it's not *really* a "Superman" story because it's much bigger than his corner of the world. It's a DCU story that Clark (rightfully) features prominently in, but it's not just about him. Same with Kingdom Come; that's a Superman story but not *A* Superman story.

Beyond 3D however, the Final Crisis tie-in, is totally *A* Superman story, and one of the finest of its decade. It definitely deserves consideration on any "best of" list.

~ Black Panther.

I like Truth/Savage Dawn about 80% more than most readers I think, but it's completely and utterly unfathomable that Morrison's Action run was passed over in favor of Truth. I mean damn, you know? Whaaat? I also pretty emphatically would not put American Alien on there, just for not liking it much, and as fantastic as it is, Master Men neither. Similarly, Legacy is a pretty crushing ideological defeat for Superman, and a pretty bleak note to end his show on, in some ways. It's not bad, it's just not a place I'd want a burgeoning Superman fan to go with hopes of understanding the character better.

I approve of only about five or six of this list's stories. I've long held that "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way" is vastly overrated and needs a major ethical overhall if it's ever to be adapted into a more compelling story. That's just one example. I'll admit, though, even though I wouldn't put them on a list of stories for the lay-Superman-fan to check out, it's... gratifying, that Truth and Master Men are highly enough regarded, at least by some rando, to put them on a list in the first place.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."