Default Trying to get back into Marvel-suggestions appreciated...

Hey y'all, I'm a lifelong comic book fan looking to get back into Marvel after decades away, during which I've really only followed DC. Now that I've read virtually all the DC stuff I'd ever want to read I'm looking for good entry-points for contemporary Marvel stuff. Every time I've tried to find my way back in I've found it a little overwhelming since I've missed so much. The only modern Marvel book I've read is Tom King's Vision, which I loved.

I'm open to reading about characters that I don't have history with but some of my favorite Marvel books from childhood through high school were Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men, New Mutants, Alpha Flight, Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Hulk, Daredevil, and a bit of Captain America and Nova.

I tend to follow writers/artists as much as characters though so really I'm looking for the best of Marvel--new stuff or stuff going back as many as maybe 10-20 years as long as the writing isn't too old-fashioned. Some Marvel writers I love from their work at DC are Morrison and Waid but I'd love to learn about other great writers. And, again, I'm looking for good points of entry that don't require me to know too much about the decades of stories I've missed.

Any/all responses appreciated.

Well, Tom King did write a 12-issue Vision series in 2016 that some people seem to have liked . . .
    (I didn't read it, so I don't know myself.)

For something fairly recent, you might like Waid's entire run on Daredevil.

For something that isn't at all old-fashioned, you might like Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man (personally, everything before the "Death of Spider-Man" event is a favorite of mine).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-16-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added some clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    For something fairly recent, you might like Waid's entire run on Daredevil.

For something that isn't at all old-fashioned, you might like Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man (personally, everything before the "Death of Spider-Man" event is a favorite of mine).
    Thanks a bunch. Not a big Bagley fan but I'll check out Ultimate Spider-Man. I worry that Waid's Daredevil might be a little old for my tastes but I'll give it a shot.

To MajorHoy, I mentioned above that I read/loved The Vision.

Anyone have any other suggestions for great modern Marvel stories?

I'd love to find a new way in on Avengers, X-Men, and maybe Fantastic Four.

I also enjoy event comics and I liked Civil War. Thoughts on Civil War II?

A few other books/creators I'm interested in knowing more about...

What are the best modern runs on X-Men? Morrison's? Whedon's? Are there others you folks would recommend above those or before those?

I get the idea that Hickman's FF is well regarded. Is that so? And, if so, what's a good starting point?

What are your favorite runs on Avengers or Spider-Man?

Is Immortal Hulk as good as the reviews suggest? Is Fraction's Hawkeye?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

What are the best modern runs on X-Men? Morrison's? Whedon's? Are there others you folks would recommend above those or before those?

I get the idea that Hickman's FF is well regarded. Is that so? And, if so, what's a good starting point?

All those you’ve mentioned are great recommendations. Hickmans Avengers is a good run and follows on from his Fantastic Four, so you’ll ha e a good chunk of reading if you were to chase both down.

Thanks a bunch. Not a big Bagley fan but I'll check out Ultimate Spider-Man. I worry that Waid's Daredevil might be a little old for my tastes but I'll give it a shot.

To MajorHoy, I mentioned above that I read/loved The Vision.

Anyone have any other suggestions for great modern Marvel stories?

I'd love to find a new way in on Avengers, X-Men, and maybe Fantastic Four.

I also enjoy event comics and I liked Civil War. Thoughts on Civil War II?
    AVOID! Civil War II was widely panned. Honestly, the only good thing about it is that it ended up serving as the origin for the Champions (the ANAD Avengers split in two as a result of the event).

For Avengers, you have two possible recent jumping on points. Either start with All-New All-Different, New and Uncanny Avengers from 2015-16 (which later become Avengers/U.S.Avengers/Uncanny Avengers and end up merging and ending with Avengers No Surrender), or Avengers from 2018. For X-Men, there's three jumping on points. Extraordinary/Uncanny/All-New from 2015-16, Gold/Blue from 2017, and Uncanny from 2018. For Fantastic Four, start with Slott's current run, as the book had been on a three year hiatus before that due to the Secret Wars event.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Would also recommend
    Immortal Iron fist by Fraction/Brubaker/Aja
    Thor: The God Butcher is a great story, too. You can come in not knowing much about the character and still enjoy.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Morrison's run is solid, but some find it to be a bit too much of a deconstruction of the core premise. Whedon's run was at first about rebuilding some of the foundations that Morrison smashed. I think they read well together. I would also check out Peter Milligan, and Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix that was published during the same period. It's weird, but one of the best books of the early 2000 in my opinion.

Hickman is exceptionally well regarded, personally I find his books to be boring. You also tend to reach a point where he's writing two separate titles, but both are essentially nonsense without each other. That makes for a frustrating read. But that isn't much of a issue when reading his work in collected form.

Bendis is the only Avengers run that I've read most of. It's alright. As far as Spin offs go I would say both Young Avengers books are worth checking out, as well as the earlier issues of Avengers Academy.

Not sure about Immortal Hulk, I find the character to be boring. But Fraction's Hawkeye is exceptional in isolation, some don't feel that Clint is written as in-character as he should be. But it does its own thing with exceptional art, and story telling. I was wearing purple shoes after a few issues.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

So many great suggestions! Thanks, Marvel fans!

So many great suggestions! Thanks, Marvel fans!
    You're very welcome, my fellow poster. Also, I hope your health issues have improved. I always find your posts interesting reading.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-17-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    You're very welcome, my fellow poster. Also, I hope your health issues have improved. I always find your posts interesting reading.
    They have, friend. Thanks for the kind words. Always enjoy your posts as well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A few that I could stand behind are Hickman's FANTASTIC FOUR, The Fraction/Allred FF, Ellis's MOON KNIGHT, Lemire's MOON KNIGHT, Parker's AGENTS OF ATLAS
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Can't believe there are no suggestions for Ms Marvel and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
    G. Willow Wilson's run on the first is incredible and USG is the best comedy book out there.

I'd also recommend Morrison's New X-men, BKV's Runaways (also Rainbow Rowell's current run), Priest's Black Panther, Immortal Hulk (it really is awesome), Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man, Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Tony Stark: Iron Man.

If you liked West Coast Avengers, you might want to check out New Avengers: The Reunion and Hawkeye & Mockingbird, both by Jim McCann. It deals with the aftermath of Bobbi coming back, after it's revealed that the Mockingbird who died at the end of WCA was actually a Skrull, and shows how she struggles to readjust after being gone for so long.