Default Pitch a Direction: Vixen

Yep, it is another 'Pitch a Direction' series.

Just like Firestorm from my previous 'Pitch a Direction' thread, Vixen is an underutilised character with strong potential. Like Animal Man, she has the powers to tap into nature itself, and use it to mimic the abilities of animals through the Tantu Totem. Her powers is very strong and versatile, and she is not just a crime fighter but also a supermodel, activist, philanthropist and a businesswoman.

What are your directions for the animal-powered heroine?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Recast vixen as a globe trotting international agent. Think female James Bond with powers.

I would have Vixen as an international superheroine, she ranges from being an active hero to philanthropist to supermodel.

As Mari McCabe she can help more as she can by Vixen with the desire to donate money to fight world hunger and works locally, regionally, nationally and internationally on issues involving companion animals, captive and free-ranging wildlife, farmed animals and animals used in research, among others.

I would have Animal Man (and the Baker family) as a recurring character due to their intimate connection to the Red, Animal Man would help Vixen in saving animals and stopping crimes but he would mostly be doing his own thing as the Champion of the Red. Characters such as B'Wanna Beast can be a supporting character, since he have not been used that much and also I think his power looks visually creative and cool. Nature/Earthconnected character such as Beast Boy, Wonder Woman (connected to Demeter), Black Orchid and Posion Ivy can pop by as recurring characters who go on adventures with her.

I would also explore the mythology of the Tantu Totem, have her connected to Anasi and the Red, with Tantu as now a member of the Parliament of Limbs. I would have Vixen deal with threats internationally from general metahuman threats to tgrrats which are harming nature, she should have an instinctual awareness that someone (for example, a poacher) is going to hurt the animals, I think Sportsmaster could be a good starting Villian for Vixen, he should be an expert of killing animals for sport.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

International intrigue, espionage, a new Cold War brewing. The UN begins to form a new Global Guardians, thanks to the isolationist take the mango in Chief has made America on the global front (he’s going to turn out to be a pawn of G. Gordon Godfrey), and Vixen is put in charge. We’re going to see several countries throw their hat in to become the sponsors for the new groups headquarters, and will feature a bevy of characters from each nation. China will enlist Ryan Choi, as the Atom, into the group, as well as offer Taiping Island as the place for their headquarters.

New members/possible recruits will include:

Kajura—an aboriginal Australian with the ability to navigate through Dreamtime, which he can use to spy on others, as well as manipulate others. He hates his gift, and rarely uses it, but has honed himself in hand to hand combat, rivaling several of the best fighters in the DCU.

Sharada—from India, she is a technopath, who can control machinery in all its forms.

Satet—hydrokinetic from Egypt, she and Seraph, from Israel, have a undercover relationship, unfortunately falling to pressures from their respective governments to having an animosity towards each other.

Seraph—same character from previous continuity.

Fire & Ice—from Brazil and Norway.

Red Star—from Russia (a spy for his government, but uses his relationship to former teams as a cover)

Asama—from Japan, he has seismic, tectonic control, as well as molten blasts.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I've been interested in the idea of an environmentalism themes superhero team and to my knowledge DC has never done something like that before. So I'd take the name Primal Force and re-purpose it for that.

Premise:

10,000 years ago, Earth was invaded by the Kuratha, an alien force from another dimension who sought it as a new home to replace the one they had destroyed with their pollution and war fare. Standing between us and complete annihilation was the Primal Force, an alliance of dieties, spirits and warriors empowered by nature. The Kuratha were defeated and driven out of Earth. Or so it seemed. In reality, the Kuratha remnants assimilated into human culture and have spent time since their defeat taking advantage of human pollution for the arrival of another invasion. Now a new Primal Force must be assembled.

Mari McCabe (Vixen) - leader

Alba Garcia (Black Orchid)

M'Bulaze (Impala)

Dominic Mndawe (Freedom Beast)

Zoraida, an elf

Miiyahbin Marten (Equinox)

Pamela Isley (Poison Ivy)

Jake Trujillo (Black Condor

Sky Alchesay

Ya'Wara

Atlee, the third Terra would feature as an occasional ally.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-10-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I like Vixen as a character. However, I'll have e some posters on this thread that Vixen should be more connected to the Red. That's a trait that makes Buddy Baker unique so I think that aspect shouldn't be the focus of the Vixen character.

Personally I think the main appeal that could skyrocket a Vixen series to success (not in this current market but one could dream) would be her role as a celebrity.

I reckon the obvious tone for a Vixen ongoing would be akin to DC's short lived DC YOU phase, spotlighting more hipsterish and "experimental" (well for DC at least) titles such as Black Canary, Midnighter, and Batgirl. However, a more "European" direction for perhaps a Black Label mini would be splendid. I would adore a Milo Manara penciled Vixen mini