Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aquaman Annual #2

I really enjoyed it. Great team up with Wonder Woman. Follows up on the story in Aquaman #29 & 30. Nice art. This is what an Annual should be.

BANNED

It had a lot of WW, I don't think it is common on annuals. Jeff parker will write WW on the future?
    Really liked her and mera.

Astonishing Member

So this was pretty standard fare, but Parker kept it enjoyable and his easy characterization of Aquaman and Wonder Woman, along with some quippy banter and some hilariousness with ancient monsters commenting on modern social quirks was pretty great. I'd call that a successful annual - though I was hoping maybe Hercules would be back.

The Mera & Wonder Woman chapter was the stronger of the two, even if it's way shorter. That's a team-up we need to see happen a lot more. In my mind they're already super-hero besties, I mean Diana was the only woman at Mera & Arthur's wedding in the Silver Age. (Great wedding lineup, though! The Satellite League, Dick Grayson and Garth! And I think Metamorpho for some reason.)

Mera has a reputation for really putting the fiery temper back into a red-head in a way few others do in the DCU. Her line about "well, diplomacy failed" and slightly prematurely doling out the ass-kickings shows such a contrast between her and Diana. The Sea Witch loses her cool a bit quicker than the calm Amazon Princess.

Plus those water powers look great. It's clear Mera's the one to call if you're fighting a horde of villains and need them "moved".

DEAR DC,

WONDER WOMAN/MERA. NEXT?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Was surprised Herc didn't show up, but enjoyable all the same! I felt the latter team-up of Mera/WW ended kind of abruptly, but still great fun. Loved them jetskiing on a yacht with a little help from Mera, and the lava vent finisher.

I hope Calaena (I forget her name: the leader of the Giant-born) isn't done and dusted for good - she makes for an interesting villain/antagonist. I always thought that the archaeologist would succumb to his role as their herald and become a new 'Creature King' but guess not!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    So this was pretty standard fare, but Parker kept it enjoyable and his easy characterization of Aquaman and Wonder Woman, along with some quippy banter and some hilariousness with ancient monsters commenting on modern social quirks was pretty great. I'd call that a successful annual - though I was hoping maybe Hercules would be back.

The Mera & Wonder Woman chapter was the stronger of the two, even if it's way shorter. That's a team-up we need to see happen a lot more. In my mind they're already super-hero besties, I mean Diana was the only woman at Mera & Arthur's wedding in the Silver Age. (Great wedding lineup, though! The Satellite League, Dick Grayson and Garth! And I think Metamorpho for some reason.)

Mera has a reputation for really putting the fiery temper back into a red-head in a way few others do in the DCU. Her line about "well, diplomacy failed" and slightly prematurely doling out the ass-kickings shows such a contrast between her and Diana. The Sea Witch loses her cool a bit quicker than the calm Amazon Princess.

Plus those water powers look great. It's clear Mera's the one to call if you're fighting a horde of villains and need them "moved".

DEAR DC,

WONDER WOMAN/MERA. NEXT?
    you mean book/team up or relationship? lol

well if WW is in character they can play the good cop/bad cop. If was JL WW she would be very quick to enter a fight.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I was really hoping Queen Clea would show up in this.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I was really hoping Queen Clea would show up in this.
    I'd say we can hope for next time, but actually I was wondering if Geoff Johns might use her and the 'undersea amazons' in his upcoming Seven Kingdoms storyline. She'd fit in along the likes of Ocean Master, Nereus (or whoever is leading Xebel), Fisherman, the Trench King, and who-all-else.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'd say we can hope for next time, but actually I was wondering if Geoff Johns might use her and the 'undersea amazons' in his upcoming Seven Kingdoms storyline. She'd fit in along the likes of Ocean Master, Nereus (or whoever is leading Xebel), Fisherman, the Trench King, and who-all-else.

I hope you're right as Queen Clea is the perfect contender for an Aquaman/Wonder Woman team-up with her being a classic Wonder-rogue yet having ties to Atlantis as well.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Can't wait to read this.

I have to say that while I didn't really care for the Giant Born story in the regular series, I thought the Annual really redeemed the arc and made me care about the story and characters. The art was a little jarring at times since I've gotten used to Pelletier, but overall a really fun, engaging issue. I too was also a little surprised Hercules didn't show up. I was hoping he might have gotten an extreme makeover in the labyrinth and maybe looked a little closer to his attractive Marvel counterpart.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I have to say I love the extra dosages of AQUAMAN this month.

Come of Parker! I can't get enough!

I really enjoyed this one. While I expected Hercules to show up, I'm actually rather gald he didn't. It just gives Parker an excuse to team Arthur, Mera, and Diana up again!

I really liked the interplay between WW and Mera. They should team up again. And often.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Really good Annual.

I liked both stories very much. I like how Diana and Arthur resolved a lingering issue from Throne of Atlantis, and I like how they're starting to become friends. It's been really frustrating to see the Justice League still largely acting like dicks to each other despite having been together for 4-5 years. You'd think by now, they'd at least develop SOME camaraderie together. Nice to see it's starting to happen.

I like the Diana/Mera teamup even better. It's great to see Diana and Mera starting to re-establish the friendship they had pre-Flashpoint, and they worked and fought together perfectly.

I totally agree with The Odd Man: Diana and Mera should become regular and frequent allies and friends.

Jeff Parker continues to impress me with his stories and his ability to write all these great characters. Diana felt just right in both of these stories, and Parker always does a great job with Arthur and Mera.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Okay, I really liked Parker's take on Wonder Woman. She didn't seem too extreme in one personality trait or another, and she and Aquaman had good rapport. As others have said, Mera and Diana seemed to have an even better click, and in fewer pages to boot. It is so damn NICE to see superheroes actually getting along
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Oh! I also like the fact that Diana's Lasso seems to have regained the "do my bidding" power that it used to have. I think it makes the Lasso more powerful and useful if it can do more than just make people tell the truth. I never understood why DC got rid of that power for the Lasso.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--