View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Oh God.

spoilers:
    If that one scene in Avengers: Endgame is any indication, then imagine what an A-Force type movie would do to the manbabies.
    end of spoilers
    I have seen Endgame twice and it's weird for me to see a dichotomy of reactions to that scene. spoilers:
    I browse the internet and come across the "whining" against that scene but in the theater where I watched it, the guy next to me practically burst with glee at that scene, calling the ladies "imbokodo" meaning rock in Zulu. It brought a smile to my face because in SA that word recalls a popular saying that says, you strike a woman, you strike a rock. I love how most men are comfortable with the idea of a strong woman and aren't intimidated by them getting their moment to shine. If all men were like this dude.
    end of spoilers

So captain marvel is back in 2nd place with only a 10% drop making both first and second place a marvel movie on the same week! Is this the first time this has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I was just wondering this myself when I realised CM was getting an uptick in the charts again. Unfortunately this won’t stop people proclaiming that somehow Wonder Woman is ‘better feminism’ whatever that means. I do think there are some interesting comparisons to be made over the two movies, but why it needs to be a competition is beyond me.
    People like to compare and find the "better." However, in the case of CM, some people really have a horse in the race to "prove" that it was bad in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    However, the message that Hollywood will inevitably take from this is that women can front large superhero movies, which can only be a positive thing IMO
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    It's amazing they're still here, they haven't yet found another bone to gnaw?
    Wait for Eternals, the movie, its gay lead and diverse casting.
    Those people have made this "culture war" their crusade, wether comicsgaters, gamergaters...
    The fact that they attack my entertainment, one of my great pleasures in life, angers me.
    Yep, it's a real problem. Good news is that they've proven to be ineffective and the agencies with power are doing something about it, so they are rather easy to avoid if you ignore their social media feeds.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Oh God.

spoilers:
    If that one scene in Avengers: Endgame is any indication, then imagine what an A-Force type movie would do to the manbabies.
    end of spoilers
    I only had one problem with this scene and that it was incredibly ridiculous. There is suspension of disbelief and and then there is the sheer impossibility to believe that in a battle this widespread that a clustering like this would happen without a single male hero nearby. The women were doing a great job of being badass without this scene and it wasn't needed. In a movie with talking raccoon, magic gems, etc it defied belief because of how impossible it was that they'd all end up together in just one little area like that. It was fanservice and bad fanservice at that.

Great fan service on the other hand with regard to them was the scene where Captain Marvel returns to the battle near the end of the movie. It was well done and was a moment to cheer for. It does further add to her Superman problem in that she is way too overpowered which is going to make it hard to create any real stakes with her but thats a problem for another day. Or another scene where one of them absolutely puts Thanos on the ropes all by herself.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I only had one problem with this scene and that it was incredibly ridiculous. There is suspension of disbelief and and then there is the sheer impossibility to believe that in a battle this widespread that a clustering like this would happen without a single male hero nearby. The women were doing a great job of being badass without this scene and it wasn't needed. In a movie with talking raccoon, magic gems, etc it defied belief because of how impossible it was that they'd all end up together in just one little area like that. It was fanservice and bad fanservice at that.

Great fan service on the other hand with regard to them was the scene where Captain Marvel returns to the battle near the end of the movie. It was well done and was a moment to cheer for. It does further add to her Superman problem in that she is way too overpowered which is going to make it hard to create any real stakes with her but thats a problem for another day. Or another scene where one of them absolutely puts Thanos on the ropes all by herself.
    I get what your saying but if let say Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Cap, Winter Soldier, Falcon Iron Man, War Machine, Rocket, Giant-Man, Hulk, and Thor all circled around Peter to protect the Gauntlet I don't think anyone would bat an eye. I think as a society we seem to question things more if women do something in place or instead of men. As you said it was an awesome scene which really should all that matters IMO.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I get what your saying but if let say Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Cap, Winter Soldier, Falcon Iron Man, War Machine, Rocket, Giant-Man, Hulk, and Thor all circled around Peter to protect the Gauntlet I don't think anyone would bat an eye. I think as a society we seem to question things more if women do something in place or instead of men. As you said it was an awesome scene which really should all that matters IMO.
    This is exactly right. It's a matter of perspective.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

To the bolded: Spider-Man was nearby.

So, believe it I guess?

Mighty Member

I do not want to start a thread for this but want to share the opportunity to look at over 13000 lunatics

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/972/...t-brie-larson/

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I do not want to start a thread for this but want to share the opportunity to look at over 13000 lunatics
    https://www.thepetitionsite.com/972/...t-brie-larson/
    It's my understanding that these petitions never amount to anything. Guess these people didn't realize that there's talk about a Kamala Khan movie being made down the road. Even if not, why do the pollsters think there can only be one? I myself would like both, actually.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's my understanding that these petitions never amount to anything. Guess these people didn't realize that there's talk about a Kamala Khan movie being made down the road. Even if not, why do the pollsters think there can only be one? I myself would like both, actually.
    It looks like they want Monica Rambeau the first female CM and for her to be a lesbian. If the movie had bombed it still would not work but would not be as insane.