View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    A video explaining why the idea of Disney buying the tickets themselves is beyond idiotic

When Al Bundy understands business better than someone they should reevaluate their position.
    well said......
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Antman and the Wasp had relevant things aswell (Quantem Realm). Didnt help them at all but it was a established franchise so people knew what they were getting and it was gonna be smaller in scope. While CM had this cosmic aspect t it. And people love these fantastical movies. Aquaman was at it's best when either locking the camera on its charismatic lead or showing off this beautiful world that we had only seen in the DCEU for like 10mins in Wonder woman before she leaves themiscaria. Everything else in that world was dark and grey.

Female lead definetly gives it a edge not alot of movie have. Aquamns Edge was the underwater stuff, which was way more of a edge but CM has the MCU boosting it while Aquaman was probaly hurt by the DCEU.(Aquaman and Wonder Woman had smaller opening weekends compared to alot of current CBMs and had to bust they ass to make the money they did. I think that was Justice League and BvS turning people off.)

I liked Captain Marvel but it was just fun just Aquaman except u found Aquaman to be more of a good time. Though CM had better acting but neither hit a deep chord with me. But I had a great time watching them. I think CM you would have to wait till Disney +. Think Antman and the wasp was the end of the Marvel/Netflix deal
    Not sure how the Quantum realm was relevant other than the simple fact that maybe even the Infinity gems couldn't reach there? Or could be Scott would have survived anyway.

Personally, I enjoyed most the scenes of Arthur Curry growing up and the early scenes with his parents although it was an enjoyable movie. But I definitely agree that "Aquaman" had to (pardon this) swim against the tide as did Wonder Woman. On the other hand, "Captain Marvel" was riding the tide of great public opinion and good will from the MCU movies.

I'd agree that both movies were very enjoyable but I found neither to be particularly "deep" [I'm not even sure if I intended that as another underwater pun]. They both hit the right notes in a kind of "Rocky" way that was cliche and yet worked. For Aquaman, going up against the unbeatable monster and being willing to talk and reason instead of a big fight and then emerging with the Trident. For Captain Marvel, the whole thing about getting knocked down but getting back up. Both simple and even simplistic but they worked.

Sorry to hear "Ant-Man and the Wasp" may be the last MCU movie we will see on Netflix.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I liked Captain Marvel and am glad it succeeded. I think I'd probably put it at #6 on my list of MCU movies.

That said I think you can put a LOT of its success on the fact that it comes right before Endgame which I'd say is easily the most anticipated movie in years and CM has been hyped as being integral to that movie. So many who probably would have waited for home video are seeing it.

Its an MCU movie which guarantees it would do well regardless of quality but I think without Endgame hype we would be looking at Dr Strange type box office numbers.

I also don't think its comparable really to WW because WW is one of the three or four most iconic superheroes in pop culture whereas CM was basically an unknown to the public at large. WW overcame the debacle of the DC movie verse to succeed while every Marvel movie at this point is riding the coattails of the successful movies that predated it. CM is still a success and IMO a much better movie than WW but WW broke barriers whereas CM is just another Marvel movie.
    Interestingly enough, I think "Wonder Woman" was the better movie though I liked both of them very much.

I don't think being an MCU movie guarantees being a huge success but it certainly makes it far more likely. I checked and "Ant-Man and the Wasp" was the only other MCU movie besides CM taking place between IW and Endgame yet it's world gross was 406 million while CM is already days from a billion worldwide and has a 12 week run to go. Granted CM was far more linked to Endgame in terms of relevance but still.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Interestingly enough, I think "Wonder Woman" was the better movie though I liked both of them very much.

I don't think being an MCU movie guarantees being a huge success but it certainly makes it far more likely. I checked and "Ant-Man and the Wasp" was the only other MCU movie besides CM taking place between IW and Endgame yet it's world gross was 406 million while CM is already days from a billion worldwide and has a 12 week run to go. Granted CM was far more linked to Endgame in terms of relevance but still.
    Worldwide gross for "Antman and the Wasp" was $622.7 million according to Box Office Mojo. With a relatively lower budget than other MCU movies, it made a tidy profit. But your point of CM overperforming in comparison is correct. In less than 3 weeks, CM has gotten almost 150% of the total AMatW theatrical run. By the time CM leaves the theaters, it will be closer to Black Panther numbers than Antman and the Wasp.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

They need to stop releasing Ant-Man movies after Avengers movies. It's a waste the trailers screamed filler
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I would wager a chocolate shake that more than 50% of Captain Marvel's audience had no idea she will be in Endgame at all, or at least did not know before they went to see it. The hype of Captain Marvel in Endgame has been almost nonexistent. The emphasis has consistently been on the core Avengers.
    Avengers: Infinity War showed Captain Marvel being called in for Endgame. Her own movie's bonus scene was all about how she was going to be a big deal in Endgame. The first regular trailer for Endgame was about how she was going to be important to the movie. She was a featured character in the "character poster" marketing.

People knew she was going to be in Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    They need to stop releasing Ant-Man movies after Avengers movies. It's a waste the trailers screamed filler
    Funny, I was actually looking forward to Ant-Man and the Wasp more then Infinity War at the time due to loving the characters.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Avengers: Infinity War showed Captain Marvel being called in for Endgame. Her own movie's bonus scene was all about how she was going to be a big deal in Endgame. The first regular trailer for Endgame was about how she was going to be important to the movie. She was a featured character in the "character poster" marketing.

People knew she was going to be in Endgame.
    It was not clear to the average movie goer who was being called at the end of Infinity War. The logo was not known and it was nearly a year before a movie with that design appeared. By then, the general viewer probably forgot what the design actually was.

The bonus scene in Captain Marvel doesn't count for adding to sales because it ties her in with Endgame, because you had to pay for the movie before you would know there was a scene or a connection.

The first regular trailer shows that she will be in the movie, and makes no suggestion how important a role she will have (I personally suspect it will be a lot smaller role than many comic fans will be happy with. She will enable the 6 core Avengers to carry the day, but I doubt she will have much to do with actually carrying the day).

Very few people in the world have seen the character sheets for Endgame. You don't just casually run across them. You pretty much have to go looking for them.

Astonishing Member

I liked the movie overall and a I think a fair amount of the genre audience knew she have something to do with endgame. They wouldn’t have recognized the logo on the pager, but there were a bunch of yahoo type articles that ‘explained’ the post credit scenes. And at the theater that I saw infinity war, we’re the logo showed up on the screen, a half a dozen guys all yelled at captain marvel! So everyone in that theater knew, lol.

I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the general public who enjoyed Avengers Infinity were aware of who Captain Marvel was not long after seeing the movie. Most people nowadays know to stay for the end credits. When the Fury calling CM scene happened at the end of Avengers I heard numerous conversations start up with people saying "Captain Marvel" to their friends, obviously those who understood explaining to those who didn't. Now most of the general public obviously has no idea who she is but there has been a lot of hype over her so I'd easily bet that most know she's important even if they don't know much about her history (which is probably good since her history is so messy).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It was not clear to the average movie goer who was being called at the end of Infinity War. The logo was not known and it was nearly a year before a movie with that design appeared. By then, the general viewer probably forgot what the design actually was.

The bonus scene in Captain Marvel doesn't count for adding to sales because it ties her in with Endgame, because you had to pay for the movie before you would know there was a scene or a connection.

The first regular trailer shows that she will be in the movie, and makes no suggestion how important a role she will have (I personally suspect it will be a lot smaller role than many comic fans will be happy with. She will enable the 6 core Avengers to carry the day, but I doubt she will have much to do with actually carrying the day).

Very few people in the world have seen the character sheets for Endgame. You don't just casually run across them. You pretty much have to go looking for them
    Really???? So how did Shuri's name trend on Twitter almost all day when her's came out? A lot of folks saw those posters than you think.

Oh and that bonus scene was leaked on Twitter the day of the movie's release. So her being in that movie was already known.

Now most of the general public obviously has no idea who she is but there has been a lot of hype over her so I'd easily bet that most know she's important even if they don't know much about her history (which is probably good since her history is so messy).
    Folks know who she is-you don't dominate trade sales physical & digital for this long and nobody not know who you are. Folks said the same about Aquaman & Wicked & Divine & Static-amazing how many non comic book readers I run into who know who they are.

From Box Office Mojo

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $353,805,815 35.7%
    + Foreign: $636,800,000 64.3%
    = Worldwide: $990,605,815

It's a lock it can make 10 million before leaving theaters easily will probably cross a billion later this week.

Welcome to the Billionaires Club, Carol Danvers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Kind of crazy to think that outside of B-man, the Billionaires club is composed of C-list superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Kind of crazy to think that outside of B-man, the Billionaires club is composed of C-list superheroes.
    You can argue Iron Man and Cap are more B list, but yeah ... I agree its pretty darn amazing that we're getting greater sucess from lesser known characters.