View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It does help, actually. These people don't care about being right, they don't care about being shown to be wrong. They care about starting ugly fights and maintaining them for as long as possible.

Sometimes that happens on these forums. When someone shows to the mods that they have no interest in discourse, just posting hateful things and maintaining vicious arguments with other users, they get banned (a sort of forced method of ignoring them). But it would be better if we as participants in these forums would just ignore these trolls altogether, never respond to them. Unable to start a fight, they would just go away by themselves.

It's by bringing their thoughts and activities into light that they find the fuel to keep doing what they do. By doing that, we empower them, and we need to stop.
    Except the article in question wasn't just about online interactions, it was about a pervasive culture in real world circumstances that go unchallenged and ostracize people (women/minorities/etc.) who would like to get into fandom/industry. Ignoring those people doesn't make them go away, it actively supports them.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As an active hater of Discovery I can tell you 75% of the hate for that series is the constant canon violations every Trek has violations but not so many so often they can't seem to do an episode without at least one and it just not being that good. There is a 25% I would say who just hate women or minorities which how they got into Star Trek Boogles my mind but most of the hate is over Canon.

Getting back to Captain Marvel I have seen some who try to use canon violations as excuses but usually their arguments are false because if you actually watch Captain Marvel or past MCU films you quickly realize there is no canon violations of significance and then they start saying "wamen" and showing their cards.
    Oh I know it's not across the board. There are people who don't like Janeway because they feel she was simply written as an incompetent captain. There are people who didn't like "Enterprise" because of the canon violations regardless of a white male captain. I think with Discovery, the first criticisms I read were of the "Oh this is woke" variety but they got so hammered by the overwhelming majority of Trekkies that maybe they realized this has little chance of getting traction with a Star Trek audience. Why such people would be into Star Trek to begin with is mystifying.

With Captain Marvel, most of it really was the anti-Larson and sexism stuff. There were real criticisms but that was the vast majority.

Agreed that most of the time, when people scream "Contradictions", they are not contradictions at all. People just develop their own head canon about stuff and the explanations for stuff. Then when the background is fleshed out and doesn't match their assumptions, they genuinely believe it is a contradiction.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Except the article in question wasn't just about online interactions, it was about a pervasive culture in real world circumstances that go unchallenged and ostracize people (women/minorities/etc.) who would like to get into fandom/industry. Ignoring those people doesn't make them go away, it actively supports them.
    Honestly, having read her article, exposing these people to the light in every way is the best way to pressure game shop owners and gamers in to joining the 21st century. As you said, while some of her experiences were on-line, most were real world. I will say that, as a person who has been gaming off and on for almost forty years, I feel lucky to have never encountered this stuff. We've almost always had a woman in the group and one of the biggest complaints is that there are not more women and what can we do to make women feel welcome.

Looks like CM got a nice little Endgame boost this weekend and will go from 5th last weekend to 4th this weekend for week 7 that is Fantastic.

Thanks to a surprising boost this weekend where it actually outgrossed last weekend (rare in the movie world) CM is now within 12 million of beating Wonder Woman domestically. Even with Endgame sucking up a majority of available screens next weekend it should easily catch WW now becoming the top female led superhero movie of all time. It long ago outgrossed WW internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Thanks to a surprising boost this weekend where it actually outgrossed last weekend (rare in the movie world) CM is now within 12 million of beating Wonder Woman domestically. Even with Endgame sucking up a majority of available screens next weekend it should easily catch WW now becoming the top female led superhero movie of all time. It long ago outgrossed WW internationally.
    Wow I for some reason thought WW made 500 million domestically but yeah even if Disney just left CM in a few theaters nationwide it will within a month or so easily over take WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Wow I for some reason thought WW made 500 million domestically but yeah even if Disney just left CM in a few theaters nationwide it will within a month or so easily over take WW.
    In a way, that's unfortunate. I think both movies were excellent but I think WW was the better movie and more truly deserving of being the most successful of all female led movies. On the other hand, while WW did take some flack, it did not compare to the flak CM took so this is in many ways a statement by actions of how popular CM really is.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...d=avengers.htm

Captain Marvel is now the 7th highest domestic gross among MCU movies. Just checked another site and it is also already Number 7 worldwide among all MCU movies and that's with it's run not over yet.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 04-21-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Adjusted for inflation CM is now #143 all time domestically and should climb another 20-30 spots by the end of its run.

In today's age of at home video watching and pirating its an accomplishment for any movie to make the top 300 let alone get into the 100's.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

How long do you guys think the controversy/hate train against Captain Marvel will last??? Will have goes through this all over again when CMII his theaters?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    How long do you guys think the controversy/hate train against Captain Marvel will last??? Will have goes through this all over again when CMII his theaters?
    I imagine we'll see something of a resurgence in about 5 days.

I just saw a video with Mark Hamill where he mentioned that "The Rise of Sky walker" opens in about eight months which means eight months of trolling and hate before people have even seen the movie. He didn't seem the least bit concerned about it. He mentioned it and moved on to another subject and seemed to just accept this as a fact of life in the Internet age and joked about it.

So, basically, the Captain Marvel hate will resurge because she is in "Endgame". Then it will die down after a few months. Then it will surge again as soon as CM2 is officially announced months before there is even a trailer. Every excuse imaginable and unimaginable will again be proffered to explain away the success of CM (and BP and the current Star Wars movies).

Astonishing Member

Very impressed that CM has passed 400M domestic and a billion WW. Never thought it would reach those numbers and never thought it would overtake Wonder Woman. Impressive the power of the MCU brand.

CM back in the top five in it's 7th week. (it came in 4th place)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4505&p=.htm

Spectacular Member

It's not real hate, mainstream audiences liked it just fine, it made an unbelievable amount of money and Endgame is going to make billions more. Some right-wingers wanted something to be offended by and chose Brie Larson's comments from like a year ago.

The Last Jedi backlash had a lot of nonsense complaints (like Holdo's hair lol) but at least it happened organically after people saw the movie. This anti-Captain Marvel brigade started before anyone watched the damn thing.

I think we will go through it again when the sequel comes. However, I think we've also seen how powerless the haters are and that they do not have an effect.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)