View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Carol seems like a lock to join Arthur, Tony, Bruce, Steve and T’challa in the billionaires club.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    My wife and I are thrilled to be seeing it again at our local drive in April 5.

I think $1B is a safe bet.

Disney is looking at the possibility of 5 $1B movies this year ... Captain Marvel, Endgame, Frozen 2, and Episode IX seem to be the locks. Aladdin, Dumbo, Lion King, Toy Story 4, and Maleficent 2 are the dark horses.

That is crazy.
    Report back on how you felt about it the second time through!

Spider-Man could make a billion, too.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Report back on how you felt about it the second time through!

Spider-Man could make a billion, too.
    That's not a Buena Vista (Disney) movie, it's Sony's.

The drive in factor for Captain Marvel will be fun. We watched Ant-Man and the Wasp last year at the drive in as a family. It was awesome that way. Marvel films seem to be nice for that type of environment.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-22-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Wow, I had no idea it was doing so well. That's pretty darn amazing.

I'm starting to wonder if all those boycotts against certain marvel movies aren't just staged to draw a bit of extra buzz for the movies. If they're not, Disney should probably think about it.
    The 'boycott' was stupid to begin with, and was launched by a bunch of disgruntled manbabies/incels who can't deal with changing demographics. Sure what Larson said was a bit dumb. But she's not the first actor to get up on a 'we need more diversity' soap box. And let's face it if James Gunn can get get his job back after making jokes about sexually abusing children. Then why should it hurt Larson? That being said, what surprises me is that a film lead by a woman (and a shrill one at that) and such a boring film. Could make so much money. But then again I mostly watch cable dramas..

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    The 'boycott' was stupid to begin with, and was launched by a bunch of disgruntled manbabies/incels who can't deal with changing demographics.
    I think a lot of the actual boycott was just trolling backlash over the idiotic name calling of manbabies / incels that was thrust against anyone who voiced any concerns about the movie. I liked Captain Marvel and right now I'd say its my 6th favorite MCU movie to date. I'm happy it succeeded. Yet on facebook comments I frequently got incel /manbaby/ and other slams thrown at me for not being thrilled by the trailers or by wondering about Larson's resting bitch face in all the trailers. I've even been called incel for using the term resting bitch face which is humorous since I'm a member of the resting bitch face club.

So I think many after voicing actual concerns that had nothing to do with diversity or a female lead got slurred themselves with insults they retaliated by trolling even though they might not actually care in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I think a lot of the actual boycott was just trolling backlash over the idiotic name calling of manbabies / incels that was thrust against anyone who voiced any concerns about the movie. I liked Captain Marvel and right now I'd say its my 6th favorite MCU movie to date. I'm happy it succeeded. Yet on facebook comments I frequently got incel /manbaby/ and other slams thrown at me for not being thrilled by the trailers or by wondering about Larson's resting bitch face in all the trailers. I've even been called incel for using the term resting bitch face which is humorous since I'm a member of the resting bitch face club.

So I think many after voicing actual concerns that had nothing to do with diversity or a female lead got slurred themselves with insults they retaliated by trolling even though they might not actually care in reality.
    I had to look up what some of these terms mean.

Yeah I see a lot of anger on Facebook but a lot of it is how Larson expressed her opinions. The almost automatic accusation of sexism honks a lot of people off and they rightly point out that they had and have no problems with a list of female leads in the superhero genre a mile long but the moment they have a problem with one woman who expresses her opinions in a way they think is rude and obnoxious, they are sexists.

Mind you, I think some of them are based on what they say. But I also think that a lot of them say some things that seem very sexist when the people themselves are not particularly sexist but they feel like they are going to get called that for criticizing anything Larson says or her attitude so they fire back insults for insults.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yeah I see a lot of anger on Facebook but a lot of it is how Larson expressed her opinions. The almost automatic accusation of sexism honks a lot of people off
    A reminder that she nothing nothing remotely sexist. Some people just prefer to think she did for no particularly good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    A reminder that she nothing nothing remotely sexist. Some people just prefer to think she did for no particularly good reason.
    I was referring to people who get accused of being sexist if they have any criticisms of the movie or her.

Larson does not accept the status quo. She openly criticizes behavior that most women just sigh and accept as the way things are.

Men get picked over women disproportionately for the big interviews. Larson doesn't accept that and does something about it.

And she gets called a sexist for pushing for equality.

I get that she has not really said anything sexist but the problem is that your average conservative hears some of the things she says and thinks, "Oh right, if a man said, "I don't care what some middle-aged white woman thinks of my movie. It wasn't made for them," it would be labeled as sexist as all hell. But they miss the point that a male actor would probably never be asked a question that would lead to such a response. He would never be asked why women were not interested in his movie.

Astonishing Member

Hm, i am all into leading women in movies and i am a man.

My wife does not care

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was referring to people who get accused of being sexist if they have any criticisms of the movie or her.

Larson does not accept the status quo. She openly criticizes behavior that most women just sigh and accept as the way things are.
    Men get picked over women disproportionately for the big interviews. Larson doesn't accept that and does something about it.
    And she gets called a sexist for pushing for equality.
    If the manbabies did not throw FITS in the first place-no one would have to worry about that.

Same with Black Panther-for far too LONG we have seen nonstraight white male lead stuff get attack for EXISTING.
    And that group tends to be the loudest thanks to social media. Remember a former DC employee made over 40 hours worth of stuff attacking Brie Larson & Cap Marvel.

If they were so offended about someone saying there was a need for more diverse staff at press showings. Why were they SILENT over this?

https://shadowandact.com/fubu-jordan...ss-the-country

Jordan Peele has been saying that his highly anticipated sophomore film Us is nothing like Get Out, in that it doesn't center race in the same way. But having a whole Black family at the center of a horror film (a genre in which we've been historically erased or marginalized) is inherently iconic. Peele must know as much, and how significant this moment is for Black entertainers, press and lovers of the genre, so as Us was making its world premiere at SXSW in Austin, Texas, there were several screenings of Us specifically for Black media and Black influencers held across the country: in LA, Atlanta and New York.

Called #UsFirst, the screening began with a message from Peele and the film's two stars, Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke, sharing how important it was to them that Black audiences got a chance to experience Us first. This screening series is on the heels of Peele's announcement that he would host a screening of the film at Howard University before the film's box office debut.
    Where is the rage for Duke & Nyong's comments? Of boycott?

Us is about to make back it's budget this weekend. All it needs it another 10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If the manbabies did not throw FITS in the first place-no one would have to worry about that.

Same with Black Panther-for far too LONG we have seen nonstraight white male lead stuff get attack for EXISTING.
    And that group tends to be the loudest thanks to social media. Remember a former DC employee made over 40 hours worth of stuff attacking Brie Larson & Cap Marvel.

If they were so offended about someone saying there was a need for more diverse staff at press showings. Why were they SILENT over this?

https://shadowandact.com/fubu-jordan...ss-the-country

Us is about to make back it's budget this weekend. All it needs it another 10 million.
    Most of this really does come down to social media. I was thinking what would have happened when "In the Heat of the Night" came out in 1967 if today's social media magically existed back then, the sheer racist response. Or even in 2008 when social media (which I just realized has the same initials as Sado-Masochism. Coincidence?) was in its infancy. Probably the first Iron-Man movie would have been criticized for a "SJW message" against war profiteering.

Today, thanks to SM, dozens or hundreds of racists/ sexists can plaster their views all over youtube and thousands of them over free social media.

And, although I said some people get mad because any criticism of something like Captain Marvel gets them accused of sexism, that really is not that true upon reflection [This is called "Admitting I was wrong"]. Reasoned reviews that have valid criticisms get very little of the "Man-baby" accusation.

One of the problems is that a lot of people, thanks to social media, hear about what Larson said second hand, assume it's true and then respond to the straw-man version of what she said because they don't care enough to spend two minutes looking up what she really said. In that sense, they deserve the accusations of being sexist. Or they criticize the movie and they haven't even seen it but they've stated their uninformed opinions on social media and their egos won't allow them to admit they were wrong if they do see it.

And then we have the people who absolutely deserve the title of "man-babies" or "woman-babies" in some cases. These are the people that are now making up or believing the most asinine nonsense imaginable just to avoid swallowing their pride and admitting the movie is an overwhelming success.

Reminds me of when Sean Connery admitted that, when he saw "Star Wars" back in 1977, his reaction was that this movie would never go anywhere, that it would be a hit with the kids but would never have the appeal to adults to amount to anything. But, he said, "Obviously, millions of people proved me wrong". But these last holdouts on the Internet cannot admit they were simply wrong and that nobody cares about their outdated "ideology" so they have to make up ever more ridiculous conspiracies and the thing is that people of equal idiocy (or boredom) believe them instead of just blushing and silently creeping away or showing the capacity to admit being wrong.

At this point, I think I'm pretty much done with this subject unless something that takes a truly new take on the subject is posted.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-23-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I think those people don't care about movies like Us and Get Out. They care about Star Wars and the MCU, so they feel entitled over what should and should not be a part of it. (I think there's also some sexism involved, too.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

From Box Office Mojo

Domestic: $321,498,835 35.3%
    + Foreign: $588,800,000 64.7%
    = Worldwide: $910,298,835

Sometime tomorrow Captain Marvel in just its third week will pass Aquaman's total domestic take. Still needs a couple hundred million worldwide to beat Aquaman on that front.

CM will make a billion easily at this point as it only needs 90 million more and will get most of that in just the US at its still pacing right between two of the Hunger Games movies which finished with 408 and 424 million respectively.

The real question is will it beat Wonder Woman domestically? Its already smashed WW total internationally by nearly 100 million but domestically it still needs about another 110 million to beat WW on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Sometime tomorrow Captain Marvel in just its third week will pass Aquaman's total domestic take. Still needs a couple hundred million worldwide to beat Aquaman on that front.

CM will make a billion easily at this point as it only needs 90 million more and will get most of that in just the US at its still pacing right between two of the Hunger Games movies which finished with 408 and 424 million respectively.

The real question is will it beat Wonder Woman domestically? Its already smashed WW total internationally by nearly 100 million but domestically it still needs about another 110 million to beat WW on that front.
    Wow! Looks like it may break a billion dollars by the end of its third week. It could potentially come in at Number 10 for the fastest to make a billion dollars, displacing Iron-Man 3 as Number 10.

At this point, the question of the thread is moot. It clearly is going to make it within days. It's just a matter of how fast. I don't think it's going to break two billion with the competition that is coming out and, for the same reason, I don't think it's going to break 700 million domestically. But I wouldn't dismiss the possibilities yet.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-24-2019 at 10:10 AM.