View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm in that club too. I've also had people say things like, "Don't you ever smile?" Usually it's at work which is the only reason I don't ask them if they ever shove it. But I think women get it even worse because, if she is otherwise attractive, there's this implication she exists to look pleasing.
    It's interesting that in the Joker trailer the theme is smiling. His mother tells him to always smile. And look what happens to him. There is even a Jimmy Durante song playing background in the trailer telling people to smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Some of them are still heavy in denial about Shazam not beating Captain Marvel.
    Missed that (although I was aware that some trolls were trying to weaponize that movie against Marvel and got denounced by the director and lead actor).

I have seen some of the trolls who were involved in that "Alita Challenge" tooting the horn about how Alita: Battle Angel went over four million at the box office, showing how the will the people overrode the "SJW media shills" (the same "shills" they claim where colluding to protect Captain Marvel). Of course, they never offer any proof that these shills exist (and ignore the fact that while Alita did exceed expectations and ended in the black, it's not a stellar run and the odds of the sequel are sadly weak). Pretty sad place to be if your only victory is being able to crow over something like that, and a situation I find incredibly annoying, given that I liked both movies and wanted them to do well, get sequels, and all that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Missed that (although I was aware that some trolls were trying to weaponize that movie against Marvel and got denounced by the director and lead actor).

I have seen some of the trolls who were involved in that "Alita Challenge" tooting the horn about how Alita: Battle Angel went over four million at the box office, showing how the will the people overrode the "SJW media shills" (the same "shills" they claim where colluding to protect Captain Marvel). Of course, they never offer any proof that these shills exist (and ignore the fact that while Alita did exceed expectations and ended in the black, it's not a stellar run and the odds of the sequel are sadly weak). Pretty sad place to be if your only victory is being able to crow over something like that, and a situation I find incredibly annoying, given that I liked both movies and wanted them to do well, get sequels, and all that.
    Meanwhile, the remake of "Dumbo" is sitting at a 47% critic approval rating on RT. Did Disney forget to send the "shills" their checks this month? Yet it's audience approval is at 60% which still isn't great. Meanwhile, the competition, Shazam, is sitting at 90/ 91%, essentially the same.

Of course, that's the problem with nonsense like "The critics are paid off shills". There's no objective criteria like stepping back and looking at the overall picture of what they rate high or low.

I haven't seen "Alita". I will if it shows up on Netflix. I'd prefer that it do well but the trolls dropped that one when it started to fizzle at the box office.

I don't know about youtube but, in light of the overwhelming success of TLJ and BP and now CM, I have noticed that, at least here, the whole anti-SJW "Get woke, go broke" garbage has faded perhaps from embarrassment.
    Power with Girl is better.

Meanwhile, the remake of "Dumbo" is sitting at a 47% critic approval rating on RT. Did Disney forget to send the "shills" their checks this month? Yet it's audience approval is at 60% which still isn't great. Meanwhile, the competition, Shazam, is sitting at 90/ 91%, essentially the same.
    Sorry to hear the Dumbo movie didn't do so well. Wasn't really interested myself, but I had nothing against it. IMHO, the trolls will just ignore that; from my experience, they only talk about stuff that can fit their biases and won't challenge their worldviews.

Of course, that's the problem with nonsense like "The critics are paid off shills". There's no objective criteria like stepping back and looking at the overall picture of what they rate high or low.
    Yep.

I haven't seen "Alita". I will if it shows up on Netflix. I'd prefer that it do well but the trolls dropped that one when it started to fizzle at the box office.
    I think it's worth seeing. I will concede that it is an imperfect movie (which I do think is the real reason it had a mixed response), but the good in outweighs it.

As far as Alita being dropped, the trolls I've seen are still waving that flag (last one I saw was a couple days ago, but then that YouTuber has had this weird obsession with slandering Brie Larson, seeing Captain Marvel fail, and the Alita movie succeed to "prove" how right he was about his conspiracy theories, so maybe he's not representative of the trolls as a whole?).

I don't know about youtube but, in light of the overwhelming success of TLJ and BP and now CM, I have noticed that, at least here, the whole anti-SJW "Get woke, go broke" garbage has faded perhaps from embarrassment.
    Not so sure. From the trolls I've seen, most at least claim they liked Black Panther (and I think there are multiple groups of online "ant-SJW" trolls that do vary in their targets, so it maybe the ones I know weren't against it and not just changing their tune when they realized that it was a hit). Captain Marvel seems to have fallen a bit by the wayside beyond a few claims that "it's success was because shills artificially boosted it somehow," so we'll see where that goes. They're in full denial about The Last Jedi, still insisting that it was a failure and that true fans hate it, and that Solo's failure is proof that the fans reject "SJW Star Wars" and Disney and all that.

While "get woke, go broke" is an asinine position to take in this day and age, esp. after Star Trek became a piece of pop culture for being "woke," I don't think these trolls care much about accuracy over getting people to validate their own conspiracy theories. More likely the rest of us will just stop caring about what they say.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Sorry to hear the Dumbo movie didn't do so well. Wasn't really interested myself, but I had nothing against it. IMHO, the trolls will just ignore that; from my experience, they only talk about stuff that can fit their biases and won't challenge their worldviews.
    True. If you'll pardon the pun, it may be that "Dumbo" just isn't a big enough target to interest them. Or the primary audience is going to be children and their parents who are not likely to be following all this Internet trolling to begin with. So they might argue that it's a safe target for the critics to cut down and still get their paychecks from Disney. You know, the ones there isn't the slightest evidence of?

As far as Alita being dropped, the trolls I've seen are still waving that flag (last one I saw was a couple days ago, but then that YouTuber has had this weird obsession with slandering Brie Larson, seeing Captain Marvel fail, and the Alita movie succeed to "prove" how right he was about his conspiracy theories, so maybe he's not representative of the trolls as a whole?).
    Maybe it just seems they've faded because I've stopped looking at their nonsense so I'm less aware of it.

Not so sure. From the trolls I've seen, most at least claim they liked Black Panther (and I think there are multiple groups of online "ant-SJW" trolls that do vary in their targets, so it maybe the ones I know weren't against it and not just changing their tune when they realized that it was a hit). Captain Marvel seems to have fallen a bit by the wayside beyond a few claims that "it's success was because shills artificially boosted it somehow," so we'll see where that goes. They're in full denial about The Last Jedi, still insisting that it was a failure and that true fans hate it, and that Solo's failure is proof that the fans reject "SJW Star Wars" and Disney and all that.
    Possible. Someone can be a sexist but not a racist and vice versa. Or it may be a case of BP being so successful that some of them are now claiming they always liked it even when there is video proof of things they said before. Or they don't personally have anything against Chadwick Boseman for misquotes of what he said and out of context.

I think the Captain Marvel stuff will fade only because all the unsubstantiated claims of a boost (and let's not forget Disney personally buying ten percent of the first weekend tickets) have become irrelevant since it would have made a billion dollars anyway.

Yeah the Star Wars stuff is still going on but it's come down to the idea that TLJ was so despised for being SJW that it made a billion dollars but this other movie, Solo, that wasn't SJW flopped because everybody was so incensed at TLJ that they kept right on going to it over and over but then showed their dislike by not going to see Solo over and over. Well, hey, it makes as much sense as any of their desperate attempts to label TLJ a failure.

Oh and that "true fans" thing applies to Star Wars, Superman and anything else. True fans do hate it because the trick is that anyone who disagrees with them is not a true fan hence true fans hate it. Yeah, whatever.

While "get woke, go broke" is an asinine position to take in this day and age, esp. after Star Trek became a piece of pop culture for being "woke," I don't think these trolls care much about accuracy over getting people to validate their own conspiracy theories. More likely the rest of us will just stop caring about what they say.
    Hadn't really thought about it but the original Star Trek defended every conceivable liberal or SJW position although that term did not exist yet. Granted a lot of people probably don't even recognize that part. "Metamorphosis" for example was a defense of all types of relationships from "mixed" marriages (still a big deal back then) to gay relationships. There were episodes about the population explosion, the destruction of the environment, anti-war, anti-war profiteering, etc. And oh what a flop Star Trek turned out to be and that was in the 1960s and 1970s for the movies and the big era of the conventions. These trolls are not just behind the times. They are fifty years behind. But they are concentrated into confined spaces on the Internet which makes them seem crowded and large.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 04-07-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Just to show how ugly some of this stuff really is.

http://latining.tumblr.com/post/1415...eoxWO_CMbRc2k8

It's sad that this sort of thing exists at all. For years I told people like them to "Get A Life," but they never will.

They have to grow up first.

BANNED

And you are giving this site more hits because....?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm giving the woman who wrote the article more readers because. And if you read her article, one of her biggest points is that silence doesn't work.

True. If you'll pardon the pun, it may be that "Dumbo" just isn't a big enough target to interest them. Or the primary audience is going to be children and their parents who are not likely to be following all this Internet trolling to begin with. So they might argue that it's a safe target for the critics to cut down and still get their paychecks from Disney. You know, the ones there isn't the slightest evidence of?
    Could very well be. I kinda suspect that the trolls in this instance (many of whom seem to be Comicsgaters or at least of the same school of thought) don't really care that much about Disney cartoons or the remakes of them. Just me guessing, but I haven't exactly seen a lot of chatter on those subjects in general from those circles.

Maybe it just seems they've faded because I've stopped looking at their nonsense so I'm less aware of it.
    You could be right that things have died down, esp. since the challenge doesn't seem to have made a huge impact and the movie's theatrical run is done. (Also, as I noted, the one recent source on the subject was someone who was kinda obsessed over it in the first place beyond "normal.")

Possible. Someone can be a sexist but not a racist and vice versa. Or it may be a case of BP being so successful that some of them are now claiming they always liked it even when there is video proof of things they said before. Or they don't personally have anything against Chadwick Boseman for misquotes of what he said and out of context.
    Could be,

I think the Captain Marvel stuff will fade only because all the unsubstantiated claims of a boost (and let's not forget Disney personally buying ten percent of the first weekend tickets) have become irrelevant since it would have made a billion dollars anyway.
    Yeah, the battle (if you want to call it that) was a pretty one-sided victory and there doesn't seem to be way to try and twist it into a victory, like they did with TLJ's success.

Yeah the Star Wars stuff is still going on but it's come down to the idea that TLJ was so despised for being SJW that it made a billion dollars but this other movie, Solo, that wasn't SJW flopped because everybody was so incensed at TLJ that they kept right on going to it over and over but then showed their dislike by not going to see Solo over and over. Well, hey, it makes as much sense as any of their desperate attempts to label TLJ a failure.
    Yeah, there's no rhyme or reason, just their desperation to be right, and, for whatever reason, they will not let this franchise go.

Oh and that "true fans" thing applies to Star Wars, Superman and anything else. True fans do hate it because the trick is that anyone who disagrees with them is not a true fan hence true fans hate it. Yeah, whatever.
    That's really is the bottom line for a lot of these things (toxic Star Wars/Star Trek fans, Comicsgate, Sad Puppies, etc.). While the reasons they object to something may vary (from bigotry to more innocent things, like canon opinions), it's all about how they the true fans are protecting the thing in question from the outside world.

Hadn't really thought about it but the original Star Trek defended every conceivable liberal or SJW position although that term did not exist yet. Granted a lot of people probably don't even recognize that part. "Metamorphosis" for example was a defense of all types of relationships from "mixed" marriages (still a big deal back then) to gay relationships. There were episodes about the population explosion, the destruction of the environment, anti-war, anti-war profiteering, etc. And oh what a flop Star Trek turned out to be and that was in the 1960s and 1970s for the movies and the big era of the conventions. These trolls are not just behind the times. They are fifty years behind. But they are concentrated into confined spaces on the Internet which makes them seem crowded and large.
    Yep. Found it really sad that when DSC came out, there were people angry that a black woman was the lead, as if they had forgotten that all that had been done before twice.

That's terrible. I'm kinda unplugged from the fan conventions circuits and never seen anyone harassed at the comics and games store I go to, but I have had an interest in table top RPGs. If I ever get in a position of GMing a public campaign, I will certainly not permit harassment at my table or support places that do. May not be much, but you have to start somewhere and with what you can control.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

That's terrible. I'm kinda unplugged from the fan conventions circuits and never seen anyone harassed at the comics and games store I go to, but I have had an interest in table top RPGs. If I ever get in a position of GMing a public campaign, I will certainly not permit harassment at my table or support places that do. May not be much, but you have to start somewhere and with what you can control.
    Very few have the balls to do that stuff OFFLINE.

Because normal folks look at them and ask "why can't you just walk away?"

Normal folks can attack them with LOGIC and too many of them don't want that.

40 hours bashing this movie on youtube did not stop it from making a BILLION.

Half of Disney's movie profits last year came from Black Panther. By the end of the year they will have 3 films making a billion. Cap Marvel, Endgame & Star Wars. Trolls online are not hurting anything.

All many of them are doing is exposing themselves and making it EASY for companies to not hire them or let them go when the time comes.

Because being silent about it doesn't help things.

Yep. Found it really sad that when DSC came out, there were people angry that a black woman was the lead, as if they had forgotten that all that had been done before twice.
    Regarding Star Trek: a black man as commanding officer; a woman as commanding officer; a black woman as commanding officer. This is the vision of a better world that the original Star Trek fought for, a world of equality. Everything about the original Star Trek was "Social Justice Warrior". That's what Gene Roddenberry was. The Next Generation may not have harped on it as much but it continued that vision. It is disheartening to say the least that for so many it is just about phasers, neck pinches and klingons.

I remember being at a sci fi convention and being in the food room. The television was on and there was an episode of "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" on. It was an episode about "driving while black". Suddenly someone said, "Why are we watching this garbage?" So they switched over to a Star Trek rerun which was about bigotry against vulcans and they enjoyed it. I kept thinking, "Ah, so it's horrible to be bigots against those nice vulcans but let's not get crazy and take the message seriously by applying it to real life bigotry. I think you people are missing the whole f*****g point."

In fairness, I know there were and are plenty of Trekkies who got the point but I often feel that for most people, it's just about the fantasy elements and the mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Very few have the balls to do that stuff OFFLINE.

Because normal folks look at them and ask "why can't you just walk away?"

Normal folks can attack them with LOGIC and too many of them don't want that.

40 hours bashing this movie on youtube did not stop it from making a BILLION.

Half of Disney's movie profits last year came from Black Panther. By the end of the year they will have 3 films making a billion. Cap Marvel, Endgame & Star Wars. Trolls online are not hurting anything.

All many of them are doing is exposing themselves and making it EASY for companies to not hire them or let them go when the time comes.

Actually, the woman who wrote the article specifically asked that it be shared because her experience is that most people just stay silent and nothing ever changes. Which is again, yay for Brie Larson. Her "crime" is that she won't just shutup and say nothing and "accept" that that's the way it is and has to always be. And that is said with two thumbs up for AJBopp who was just saying he thought it better to not give these people publicity even if it's negative publicity.

As to the movies, at this point, if not after TLJ and BP, once we add CM, it is now overwhelmingly obvious that these people are having an impact on the success of these movies that, for all practical purposes, even mathematically, is indistinguishable from zero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It does help, actually. These people don't care about being right, they don't care about being shown to be wrong. They care about starting ugly fights and maintaining them for as long as possible.

Sometimes that happens on these forums. When someone shows to the mods that they have no interest in discourse, just posting hateful things and maintaining vicious arguments with other users, they get banned (a sort of forced method of ignoring them). But it would be better if we as participants in these forums would just ignore these trolls altogether, never respond to them. Unable to start a fight, they would just go away by themselves.

It's by bringing their thoughts and activities into light that they find the fuel to keep doing what they do. By doing that, we empower them, and we need to stop.

Regarding Star Trek: a black man as commanding officer; a woman as commanding officer; a black woman as commanding officer. This is the vision of a better world that the original Star Trek fought for, a world of equality. Everything about the original Star Trek was "Social Justice Warrior". That's what Gene Roddenberry was. The Next Generation may not have harped on it as much but it continued that vision. It is disheartening to say the least that for so many it is just about phasers, neck pinches and klingons.

I remember being at a sci fi convention and being in the food room. The television was on and there was an episode of "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" on. It was an episode about "driving while black". Suddenly someone said, "Why are we watching this garbage?" So they switched over to a Star Trek rerun which was about bigotry against vulcans and they enjoyed it. I kept thinking, "Ah, so it's horrible to be bigots against those nice vulcans but let's not get crazy and take the message seriously by applying it to real life bigotry. I think you people are missing the whole f*****g point."

In fairness, I know there were and are plenty of Trekkies who got the point but I often feel that for most people, it's just about the fantasy elements and the mythology.
    As an active hater of Discovery I can tell you 75% of the hate for that series is the constant canon violations every Trek has violations but not so many so often they can't seem to do an episode without at least one and it just not being that good. There is a 25% I would say who just hate women or minorities which how they got into Star Trek Boogles my mind but most of the hate is over Canon.

Getting back to Captain Marvel I have seen some who try to use canon violations as excuses but usually their arguments are false because if you actually watch Captain Marvel or past MCU films you quickly realize there is no canon violations of significance and then they start saying "wamen" and showing their cards.