View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Up to $910m

Disney's release of Marvel's Captain Marvel fell to second place as it begins its third weekend in release, dipping -48.5% and delivering an estimated $35 million for a domestic cume that now tops $321 million. The performance makes it the tenth largest domestic release in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and places it just outside the top twenty among all superhero films.
    Internationally, Captain Marvel delivered an estimated $52.1 million from 54 markets, pushing the film's international cume to $588.8 million for a global tally topping $910 million. The film now ranks as the seventh largest global release in the MCU and will soon become the seventh film in the franchise to top $1 billion worldwide.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4497&p=.htm

With it currently at $910 million worldwide it should easily make another $90 million by the end of its run.

BANNED

Annotation 2019-03-24 165921.jpg

Things are looking impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    With it currently at $910 million worldwide it should easily make another $90 million by the end of its run.
    I'd say more like within a few days.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Wow! Looks like it may break a billion dollars by the end of its third week. It could potentially come in at Number 10 for the fastest to make a billion dollars, displacing Iron-Man 3 as Number 10.

At this point, the question of the thread is moot. It clearly is going to make it within days. It's just a matter of how fast. I don't think it's going to break two billion with the competition that is coming out and, for the same reason, I don't think it's going to break 700 million domestically. But I wouldn't dismiss the possibilities yet.
    Zero shot of 700 million domestically or 2 billion internationally.

Box office takes are very predictable for about 99% of movies after the first weekend and thus far CM is following the normal pattern of those 99% by dropping about 50 to 60% its first few weekends. It will continue such drops though its not uncommon for the % amount to lessen as times goes on but at that point its such small amounts its negligible. You can look at this daily chart to see how its comparing to Rogue One, The Dark Knight, and two of the Hunger Games movies over time. All had comparable opening weekends. CM is right now running 4th out of the 5 after 17 days of release and is distantly behind Rogue One and Dark Knight. Its between the two Hunger Games movies and will likely end up there in its overall take in the 400 to 420 million range. Internationally, since its already opened in every major market, will decline similarly. 1.2 billion is probably its top range.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdo...roguevhgdk.htm

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

So for the next phase, you now have BP and CM as top tier ($1B+), GOTG ($800M) in the mid-tier, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man ($600-700M) as lower tier? Then the newbies will fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Zero shot of 700 million domestically or 2 billion internationally.

Box office takes are very predictable for about 99% of movies after the first weekend and thus far CM is following the normal pattern of those 99% by dropping about 50 to 60% its first few weekends. It will continue such drops though its not uncommon for the % amount to lessen as times goes on but at that point its such small amounts its negligible. You can look at this daily chart to see how its comparing to Rogue One, The Dark Knight, and two of the Hunger Games movies over time. All had comparable opening weekends. CM is right now running 4th out of the 5 after 17 days of release and is distantly behind Rogue One and Dark Knight. Its between the two Hunger Games movies and will likely end up there in its overall take in the 400 to 420 million range. Internationally, since its already opened in every major market, will decline similarly. 1.2 billion is probably its top range.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdo...roguevhgdk.htm
    Oh I was just having a "Never Say Never" optimism. It really at this point clearly has no chance of reaching 700 million domestically though it will reach a billion worldwide within days.
    Power with Girl is better.

Titanic had amazing special effects that it it had clichéd one dimensional characters and Rose was awful she threw that diamond in the ocean. Hey granny what about the granddaughter who took care of you not think she could use the cash? Also reunited with Jack in death how sweet just hope her husband who she had a family with isn't waiting for her somewhere. LA Confidential was a great film made of 1997 Titanic was very much like MCU films popular popcorn fare just with a sappy love story.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-25-2019 at 03:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Titanic had amazing special effects that it it had clichéd one dimensional characters and Rose was awful she threw that diamond in the ocean. Hey granny what about the granddaughter who took care of you not think she could use the cash? Also reunited with Jack in death how sweet just hope her husband who she had a family with isn't waiting for her somewhere. LA Confidential was a great film made of 1997 Titanic was very much like MCU films popular popcorn fare just with a sappy love story.
    You're certainly brave for trying to denigrate Titanic by comparingiy to a formulaic MCU movie like Captain Marvel. You need to be realistic, Titanic is a cinema classic that is considered a culture landmark, Captain Marvel is a flavour of the month movie that will be forgotten in 5 weeks when Endgame comes out. Titanic had heart, a real passion for filmmaking by the crew and delivered by a cast at the top of their craft. Captain Marvel has no soul, it's shamelessly generic cinematogrpahy and Brie Larson's wooden acting was upstaged by the CGI cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You're certainly brave for trying to denigrate Titanic by comparingiy to a formulaic MCU movie like Captain Marvel. You need to be realistic, Titanic is a cinema classic that is considered a culture landmark, Captain Marvel is a flavour of the month movie that will be forgotten in 5 weeks when Endgame comes out. Titanic had heart, a real passion for filmmaking by the crew and delivered by a cast at the top of their craft. Captain Marvel has no soul, it's shamelessly generic cinematogrpahy and Brie Larson's wooden acting was upstaged by the CGI cat.
    I've been "denigrating" Titanic for 22 years and I had hopes for Titanic given one if the 1st things I remembers reading over and over again was in the 2nd grade and was the National Geographic Special on the Titanic. All the Titanic has going for it is visuals which I called Amazing but the characters are as by the book as they come the only interesting characters were the ones based off real people to bad Cameron chose not to concentrate on them. Also the Phantom Menace was a Cultural Event from that era the late 90's and early 00's don't deserve to much nostalgia.

BANNED

I've been "denigrating" Titanic for 22 years and I had hopes for Titanic given one if the 1st things I remembers reading over and over again was in the 2nd grade and was the National Geographic Special on the Titanic. All the Titanic has going for it is visuals which I called Amazing but the characters are as by the book as they come the only interesting characters were the ones based off real people to bad Cameron chose not to concentrate on them. Also the Phantom Menace was a Cultural Event from that era the late 90's and early 00's don't deserve to much nostalgia.
    Well, seeing as you've been at this for over 20 years and haven't managed to put a dent in Titanic's reputation, maybe it's time to give up?

I'd call Titanic's characters archetypal rather than generic, like Romeo and Juliet or even a Greek tragedy. You know almost everyone is going to die before the story is over but it's that human element which gives the whole thing a poignant quality. Can't say the same about Captain Marvel, its characters are half-baked and only propped-up by the momentum of the MCU and the anticipation of Endgame. People will still be talking about Titanic in another 20 years but Captain Marvel will have long faded from memory, as though Captain Marvel never existed at all.

Well, seeing as you've been at this for over 20 years and haven't managed to put a dent in Titanic's reputation, maybe it's time to give up?

I'd call Titanic's characters archetypal rather than generic, like Romeo and Juliet or even a Greek tragedy. You know almost everyone is going to die before the story is over but it's that human element which gives the whole thing a poignant quality. Can't say the same about Captain Marvel, its characters are half-baked and only propped-up by the momentum of the MCU and the anticipation of Endgame. People will still be talking about Titanic in another 20 years but Captain Marvel will have long faded from memory, as though Captain Marvel never existed at all.
    What reputation it was known in 97 as a Sappy Love Story surrounded by a real tragedy, great special effects, and darn near every film critic at the time felt LA Confidential was robbed losing best picture to Titanic but they understood Titanic was more popular. Ironically every argument you have against the MCU was said about Titanic. I don't put the MCU on any pedestals I just don't degrade it either it is what it is fun and entertaining superhero films like any others.

BANNED

What reputation it was known in 97 as a Sappy Love Story surrounded by a real tragedy, great special effects, and darn near every film critic at the time felt LA Confidential was robbed losing best picture to Titanic but they understood Titanic was more popular. Ironically every argument you have against the MCU was said about Titanic. I don't put the MCU on any pedestals I just don't degrade it either it is what it is fun and entertaining superhero films like any others.
    At best you might say that people were uncertain about Titanic because disaster movies had fallen out of favour. Even classics in the genre like The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno had a kitschy 70s quality to them. However, Titanic changed all that, this is the movie that made the disaster genre respectable and stole the whole box office in the process. Only Gladiator comes close in a similar comparison, revitalising the epic genre after Cleopatra in the 60s brought them to a halt. The MCU though? Nah, nothing ground breaking about those movies, Batman Begins has the MCU beat by three years and there was plenty of popular super hero movies well before that.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-25-2019 at 03:47 PM.

BANNED

Ah, the irony.

Ultimate Member

As someone who saw Titanic when I was seven years old with my parents, I will admit that I loved it and balled my freaking eyes out by the end (and for hours afterwards). So if James Cameron wanted to make little kid's cry, then kudos to him he succeeded.