View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    As someone who saw Titanic when I was seven years old with my parents, I will admit that I loved it and balled my freaking eyes out by the end (and for hours afterwards). So if James Cameron wanted to make little kid's cry, then kudos to him he succeeded.
    Maybe because I know so many of the real stories I'm harsher to a film mostly about two fake characters with a simplistic love story.

Cameron paid lip services to the famous stories the Astors, Molly Brown, Colonel Gracie, Guggenheim, the Band, the baker who went down with the ship, Captain Smith and Crew, Ismay, Andrews, and the Strauses but there we so many more interesting stories of non first class passengers.

Michel Marcel Navratil Jr. and his brother being kidnapped by their father under assume names.

Violet Jessop Titanic maid who also served as Nurse on her sister ship the Britannic surviving that ship's sinking too by U-Boat and was almost killed by a propeller blade in that sinking.

The Allison family Hudson, Bess, and their little daughter Helen who spent the night looking for the nanny Alice Cleaver who took the baby Trevor never knowing Alice got herself and baby Trevor onto a life raft.

Eva Hart whose family was only on Titanic because their other ship's coal was taken for Titanic due to the coal strike and her mother had a bad feeling about being on a ship called unsinkable and never slept at night only during the day and it was her mother being up and getting her to the deck immediately that saved her life sadly her father stayed behind believing it was proper to do as a gentleman.

Teacher and 2nd class passenger Lawrence Beesley who wrote one of the first books on the disaster.

Jack Thayer who lived many years after but was haunted by the disaster the rest of his life and after loss his son in WWII and mother on the Titanic Anniversary took his own life.

Quigg Edmond Baxter a Canadian man traveling with his family back home from a European vacation and had a secret fiancee on the ship Cabaret Dancer Berthe Mayne who he hid due to fearing his families rejection of her only to die looking for her the night of the disaster and for her to survive and his family to accept her.

Knowing the real stories and being annoyed LA Confidential losing best picture to Titanic has always made me not to have Rose Colored Glasses of the film and see it as a great looking popcorn film like many superhero films.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-25-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Maybe because I know so many of the real stories I'm harsher to a film mostly about two fake characters with a simplistic love story.

Cameron paid lip services to the famous stories the Astors, Molly Brown, Colonel Gracie, Guggenheim, the Band, the baker who went down with the ship, Captain Smith and Crew, Ismay, Andrews, and the Strauses but there we so many more interesting stories of non first class passengers.

Michel Marcel Navratil Jr. and his brother being kidnapped by their father under assume names.

Violet Jessop Titanic maid who also served as Nurse on her sister ship the Britannic surviving that ship's sinking too by U-Boat and was almost killed by a propeller blade in that sinking.

The Allison family Hudson, Bess, and their little daughter Helen who spent the night looking for the nanny Alice Cleaver who took the baby Trevor never knowing Alice got herself and baby Trevor onto a life raft.

Eva Hart whose family was only on Titanic because their other ship's coal was taken for Titanic due to the coal strike and her mother had a bad feeling about being on a ship called unsinkable and never slept at night only during the day and it was her mother being up and getting her to the deck immediately that saved her life sadly her father stayed behind believing it was proper to do as a gentleman.

Teacher and 2nd class passenger Lawrence Beesley who wrote one of the first books on the disaster.

Jack Thayer who lived many years after but was haunted by the disaster the rest of his life and after loss his son in WWII and mother on the Titanic Anniversary took his own life.

Quigg Edmond Baxter a Canadian man traveling with his family back home from a European vacation and had a secret fiancee on the ship Cabaret Dancer Berthe Mayne who he hid due to fearing his families rejection of her only to die looking for her the night of the disaster and for her to survive and his family to accept her.

Knowing the real stories and being annoyed LA Confidential losing best picture to Titanic has always made me not to have Rose Colored Glasses of the film and see it as a great looking popcorn film like many superhero films.
    I only ever watched that movie once, it didn't do the real life tragedy any justice at all. I didn't care for Jack and Rose at all.

Captain Marvel got dethroned by a horror movie? we live in interesting times.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Not surprising I was saying for a while US would do it CM is on week 3 and horror is doing great right now with It and Halloween to name some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The Jordan Peele proved he is the hot director/writer right now. He is like M night before Lady in the Water. He is going to get the benefit of the doubt until he screws up. You really can't be surprised at what his stuff will do at the box office

The Jordan Peele proved he is the hot director/writer right now. He is like M night before Lady in the Water. He is going to get the benefit of the doubt until he screws up. You really can't be surprised at what his stuff will do at the box office

Not just that but scary films are really big right now. Look at steven kings it. Many of these films have low cost so they don't cost as much to make your money back and make a profit. Halloween, happy death day (well the first one), get out, don't breath and others are doing really well at the box office plus as said get out was a huge hit.

It's no shock to anyone who keeps up with box office news that us came in first.

Dumbo is the film that is the big mystery. No one knows what that film will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Well, seeing as you've been at this for over 20 years and haven't managed to put a dent in Titanic's reputation, maybe it's time to give up?

I'd call Titanic's characters archetypal rather than generic, like Romeo and Juliet or even a Greek tragedy. You know almost everyone is going to die before the story is over but it's that human element which gives the whole thing a poignant quality. Can't say the same about Captain Marvel, its characters are half-baked and only propped-up by the momentum of the MCU and the anticipation of Endgame. People will still be talking about Titanic in another 20 years but Captain Marvel will have long faded from memory, as though Captain Marvel never existed at all.
    But maybe people should give up on denigrating "Captain Marvel" for the same reason that it's clearly having zero impact on people going to see it and loving it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Seems that "trolls" and "toxic fandom" have always been a problem:

It was a problem in the 2000s, 90s, the 80s, the 70s, etc. and a problem now. I found this when digging around for all old Star Log magazines and other nerd zines ripping apart ESB for being a "slap in the face of true fans." Kind of like now with TLJ. So far in my dive I have found mostly TNG Trek articles saying it will fail. Pretty toxic stuff, too.

This has and will always be around.

I think Captain Marvel will be fine. On to $1B!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

My hope is that with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel doing well it dispels the notion that female led superhero movies don't do well and we get the Supergirl and Batgirl movies. Even a decent Catwoman movie.

Captain Marvel will definitely reach, and exceed $1 billion. The only question now is by how much?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    Captain Marvel will definitely reach, and exceed $1 billion. The only question now is by how much?
    $7,857,498.22.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Good video.

I think it's basically what he said. Partly that it's a female led movie and that gets attention, it brings out an extra crowd and it's not something that happens all the time. It's also that its between "IW" and "Endgame". I think it may also be what she said that the whole hate campaign backfired and drew more interest in the movie in the style of the infamous "Married with Children" backfire of the 1980s. But it's mostly that it is just plain and simply a really good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    My hope is that with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel doing well it dispels the notion that female led superhero movies don't do well and we get the Supergirl and Batgirl movies. Even a decent Catwoman movie.
    Absolutely. They have been talking about doing the "Wonder Woman" movie since the early to mid 1990s and always hesitated. I suspect it was largely because they feared a female led movie wouldn't work. I hope you are right and that, between WW and CM, that glass barrier has been shattered.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Good video.

I think it's basically what he said. Partly that it's a female led movie and that gets attention, it brings out an extra crowd and it's not something that happens all the time. It's also that its between "IW" and "Endgame". I think it may also be what she said that the whole hate campaign backfired and drew more interest in the movie in the style of the infamous "Married with Children" backfire of the 1980s. But it's mostly that it is just plain and simply a really good movie.
    All of this.

A big part of it is serving traditionally audience members that haven’t been the target audience. Of course, the movie being well received was a major contributing factor.

Big company/studio execs (including the likes of Ike Perlmutter) generally looked for every reason to prevent there being female led superhero movies. Their argument was always they don’t do well when what they produced were over sexualised dumpster fires.

Woman go to the movies, make good female led movies and you’ll make bank. From the Hunger Games to Wonder Woman and now Captain Marvel, it’s obvious there’s a colossal market for female led movies.