View Poll Results: Will Captain Marvel make $1 Billion at the global box office?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 71.26%
  • No

7 8.05%
  • Maybe

14 16.09%
  • Is that a lot?

1 1.15%
  • $2 billion just you watch

3 3.45%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Where some posts deleted? Can't seem to find some comments that I was pretty sure I remember reading and writing a day or so ago.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Where some posts deleted? Can't seem to find some comments that I was pretty sure I remember reading and writing a day or so ago.
    maybe check your post history to make sure this is the right thread
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    All of this.

A big part of it is serving traditionally audience members that haven’t been the target audience. Of course, the movie being well received was a major contributing factor.

Big company/studio execs (including the likes of Ike Perlmutter) generally looked for every reason to prevent there being female led superhero movies. Their argument was always they don’t do well when what they produced were over sexualised dumpster fires.

Woman go to the movies, make good female led movies and you’ll make bank. From the Hunger Games to Wonder Woman and now Captain Marvel, it’s obvious there’s a colossal market for female led movies.
    Don't forget 3 of the new Star Wars movies.

When you look at the all-time top 10 action movies starring women, it's kind of cool but sad that 9 out of the 10 came out between 2012 and 2019. The next closest is 1991.

Hunger Games, Wonder Woman, Star Wars, and now Captain Marvel have put the argument to rest that women can lead in big budget action blockbusters.

Only ~$75M to go till $1B.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Captan Marvel remains #1 in UK as ‘Us’ disappoints in the box office. Which kind of highlights my point about different markets.

A video explaining why the idea of Disney buying the tickets themselves is beyond idiotic

When Al Bundy understands business better than someone they should reevaluate their position.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yes, a number of posts that violated the forum guidelines were removed. Unfortunately, when rules-breaking posts are deleted, replies get deleted as well since they quote the original post.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    All of this.

A big part of it is serving traditionally audience members that haven’t been the target audience. Of course, the movie being well received was a major contributing factor.

Big company/studio execs (including the likes of Ike Perlmutter) generally looked for every reason to prevent there being female led superhero movies. Their argument was always they don’t do well when what they produced were over sexualised dumpster fires.

Woman go to the movies, make good female led movies and you’ll make bank. From the Hunger Games to Wonder Woman and now Captain Marvel, it’s obvious there’s a colossal market for female led movies.
    In the video, four reasons were listed for the incredible success of this movie:

1. Female led which is unusual, attracts a new demographic without losing significantly any of the standard demographics for a superhero movie and is something relatively new;

2. Being between "Infinity War" and "Endgame" gives it a huge push as there may be relevant things in it;

3. While the hate campaign had little practical impact, it drew attention to the movie ("Married with Children") and they say any publicity is good publicity.

4. Just plain a good movie.

But you'd have to see the movie to know it was good (and I mean as good as any MCU movie as we are not talking about "Citizen Kane" here) and see it without being already biased.

For me, it was Number 3. The "Captain Marvel" movie I was interested in was "Shazam". I was going to wait for Netflix to see "Captain Marvel" although I was going to go see "Endgame" at the theater. But all of the sexism, misrepresentation of what Larson said and so on just drew my attention to it and made me more interested.

That's a good thing because it's way up there as one of my favorites. Who knows? I too may be biased. With all of the hate certain movies have been getting for mostly wrong reasons and this being one of them, it may have pushed me to be even more favorable towards it than I might otherwise have been. So maybe the hate campaign worked. Just in the opposite way of what was intended.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    In the video, four reasons were listed for the incredible success of this movie:

1. Female led which is unusual, attracts a new demographic without losing significantly any of the standard demographics for a superhero movie and is something relatively new;

2. Being between "Infinity War" and "Endgame" gives it a huge push as there may be relevant things in it;

3. While the hate campaign had little practical impact, it drew attention to the movie ("Married with Children") and they say any publicity is good publicity.

4. Just plain a good movie.

But you'd have to see the movie to know it was good (and I mean as good as any MCU movie as we are not talking about "Citizen Kane" here) and see it without being already biased.

For me, it was Number 3. The "Captain Marvel" movie I was interested in was "Shazam". I was going to wait for Netflix to see "Captain Marvel" although I was going to go see "Endgame" at the theater. But all of the sexism, misrepresentation of what Larson said and so on just drew my attention to it and made me more interested.

That's a good thing because it's way up there as one of my favorites. Who knows? I too may be biased. With all of the hate certain movies have been getting for mostly wrong reasons and this being one of them, it may have pushed me to be even more favorable towards it than I might otherwise have been. So maybe the hate campaign worked. Just in the opposite way of what was intended.
    Antman and the Wasp had relevant things aswell (Quantem Realm). Didnt help them at all but it was a established franchise so people knew what they were getting and it was gonna be smaller in scope. While CM had this cosmic aspect t it. And people love these fantastical movies. Aquaman was at it's best when either locking the camera on its charismatic lead or showing off this beautiful world that we had only seen in the DCEU for like 10mins in Wonder woman before she leaves themiscaria. Everything else in that world was dark and grey.

Female lead definetly gives it a edge not alot of movie have. Aquamns Edge was the underwater stuff, which was way more of a edge but CM has the MCU boosting it while Aquaman was probaly hurt by the DCEU.(Aquaman and Wonder Woman had smaller opening weekends compared to alot of current CBMs and had to bust they ass to make the money they did. I think that was Justice League and BvS turning people off.)

I liked Captain Marvel but it was just fun just Aquaman except u found Aquaman to be more of a good time. Though CM had better acting but neither hit a deep chord with me. But I had a great time watching them. I think CM you would have to wait till Disney +. Think Antman and the wasp was the end of the Marvel/Netflix deal

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Yes, a number of posts that violated the forum guidelines were removed. Unfortunately, when rules-breaking posts are deleted, replies get deleted as well since they quote the original post.
    Okay. Wish the moderators would note that, like I've seen done on other threads.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I liked Captain Marvel and am glad it succeeded. I think I'd probably put it at #6 on my list of MCU movies.

That said I think you can put a LOT of its success on the fact that it comes right before Endgame which I'd say is easily the most anticipated movie in years and CM has been hyped as being integral to that movie. So many who probably would have waited for home video are seeing it.

Its an MCU movie which guarantees it would do well regardless of quality but I think without Endgame hype we would be looking at Dr Strange type box office numbers.

I also don't think its comparable really to WW because WW is one of the three or four most iconic superheroes in pop culture whereas CM was basically an unknown to the public at large. WW overcame the debacle of the DC movie verse to succeed while every Marvel movie at this point is riding the coattails of the successful movies that predated it. CM is still a success and IMO a much better movie than WW but WW broke barriers whereas CM is just another Marvel movie.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 03-27-2019 at 04:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    .That said I think you can put a LOT of its success on the fact that it comes right before Endgame which I'd say is easily the most anticipated movie in years and CM has been hyped as being integral to that movie. So many who probably would have waited for home video are seeing it.
    I would wager a chocolate shake that more than 50% of Captain Marvel's audience had no idea she will be in Endgame at all, or at least did not know before they went to see it. The hype of Captain Marvel in Endgame has been almost nonexistent. The emphasis has consistently been on the core Avengers.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 03-27-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I would wager a chocolate shake that more than 50% of Captain Marvel's audience had no idea she will be in Endgame at all, or at least did not know before they went to see it. The hype of Captain Marvel in Endgame has been almost nonexistent. The emphasis has consistently been on the core Avengers.
    I disagree if you have your own MCU movie they probably think it's just a matter of time before you showed up in endgame and then there is the whole post credit scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I disagree if you have your own MCU movie they probably think it's just a matter of time before you showed up in endgame and then there is the whole post credit scene.
    What post credits scene? Infinity War? Most people didn't see it, and most of those that did have no idea it was about Captain Marvel.

I don't think casual fans assume a character that wasn't in Infinity War is going to be in Endgame.

Today Forbes reported that Captain Marvel has reached $930 million at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    What post credits scene? Infinity War? Most people didn't see it, and most of those that did have no idea it was about Captain Marvel.

I don't think casual fans assume a character that wasn't in Infinity War is going to be in Endgame.
    Really? All the showing of MCU movies I've been to had a lot of people stay for the post credit scene and maybe they didn't know what it was about but a lot had to have looked it up online the same way they do with GOT or whatever.
    Last edited by choptop; 03-27-2019 at 08:38 PM.