54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mask of the Phantasm

24 44.44%
  • Under The Red Hood

30 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Mask of the Phantasm vs Under the Red Hood

Okay, my buddy and I have done this before on this board, where we’ve collected some information and argument points to put in out podcast. We’ve had a year-long “Batman Animated Movie Tournament” going on involving a bunch (though far from all) animated Batman movies, and we’ve narrowed our two highest ranked movies as these two.

So, if you had to choose one of these two excellent films as the best of animated Batman movies, which is it? Why?

I mean, I’m personally feeling Under The Red Hood a bit more just because I think exploiting the Batman Family will always end up having a bit more payoff.

(By the by, here’s the video we made to introduce the final round, if you want to see it.

If you like our discussions, you can find our other Animated Batman Movie Tournament podcasts on Apple’s podcast app under “franchisewars.”)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I know I'll be in the minority here, as crazy beloved as Mask of the Phantasm is to many fans here, but despite being a good film I always found it to be a bit overrated. In my opinion, Under the Red Hood is easily the better movie. More fun, more badass action, just as much drama and pathos and tragedy, it's just easily one of the best Batman adaptations ever from beginning to end. I've watched Mask maybe a dozen times, I know I've watched Hood at least a hundred.

Mask of the Phantasm, mainly because it's a non-canon story which fit so damn well with the Batman of his era that it's a shame it was never made canon in the first place. UTRH also had the bad luck of coming out when I already had read the comics, which made the main reveal a lot weaker.

Astonishing Member

Two of the best Batman movies but it's always going to be MOTP for me. That scene with Bruce as Batman for the first time is perfect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I know I'll be in the minority here, as crazy beloved as Mask of the Phantasm is to many fans here, but despite being a good film I always found it to be a bit overrated. In my opinion, Under the Red Hood is easily the better movie. More fun, more badass action, just as much drama and pathos and tragedy, it's just easily one of the best Batman adaptations ever from beginning to end. I've watched Mask maybe a dozen times, I know I've watched Hood at least a hundred.
    My buddy really thinks MOTP is overrated, but he’s also got a minor berserk button because we had MOTP take on Year One and he was insulted by the lack of Gordon.

I think the lack of implementation or crossover for Andrea Beaumont ultimately hurt MOTP in the long run, because she’s a promising character and the story has a good hook for her... but ultimately the story just remains self-contained. Under The Red Hood has its characters making more appearances of more substance, and I think that’s a tie breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Mask of the Phantasm, mainly because it's a non-canon story which fit so damn well with the Batman of his era that it's a shame it was never made canon in the first place. UTRH also had the bad luck of coming out when I already had read the comics, which made the main reveal a lot weaker.
    UTRH is kind of weird because I’d also argue it actually improved it’s story from the he source material. Yeah, the mystery isn’t really hidden in any way, but I think taht’s smart for the same reason it was smart in Captain America: Winter Soldier. The emotional payoff works well with a more upfront treatment of the mystery as not being difficult.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

MOTP, though nostalgia plays a big part in it. But I think it holds up very well as a self contained film. Hood is very well done as well, and trumps MOTP in terms of animation.

But, as objectively well done as UTRH is, I'm just not as invested enough in the whole Jason saga for it to be a favorite. Whereas I like Andrea quite a bit, and think way more should be done with her than we've ever gotten.

As good as I find UTRH, I don't question which one I prefer, being MOTP the clear winner. Both movies show a friend of the past made villain, who kills criminals and has an especial grudge for The Joker (I haven't though of that similarity in the past), and have a great control in introducing and developing the characters. But MOTP has the upper hand in soundtrack, animation, style and story (everything being my personal opinion, of course). What gives it the edge is its conclusive nature, though both play with an open ending where we're not sure to what exactly happened to Red Hood or Joker(in MOTP), MOTP gives a more satisfying response, and we can guess Andrea completed her vengeance.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

As much as I love Jason and this movie introduced me to him, MotP is still on the pedestal of the Best.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I cannot vote, I haven't watched Mask of the Phantasm yet; but oh, I do know this is going to be a tough poll. They're easily the two movies that usually hit the first place in most of these lists I've seen so far.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I voted for Under the Red Hood. I find Jason to be a much more interesting and sympathetic character than Andrea and I like that the movie gave the Joker an integral role without letting him take over the movie like he really does at the end of Phantasm.
    Last edited by Spencermalley935; 03-10-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    MOTP, though nostalgia plays a big part in it. But I think it holds up very well as a self contained film. Hood is very well done as well, and trumps MOTP in terms of animation.

But, as objectively well done as UTRH is, I'm just not as invested enough in the whole Jason saga for it to be a favorite. Whereas I like Andrea quite a bit, and think way more should be done with her than we've ever gotten.
    This may sound a bit blasphemous but I've actually never found Andrea to be that interesting of a character personally. There's really nothing that can be done with her in the comics that the Huntress can't already do.

UTRH, no contest for me.

Under The Red Hood

That movie is honestly like the Dark Knight to me.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the feedback! MOTP wound up winning both places we did some polls, but I managed to squeeze in a bunch of your replies towards the end of our podcast on the topic: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...286433288?mt=2

Under Red hood, I liked this film.