Default Ok, this is probably blasphemy but....

I’ve finally finished binging Batman TAS, great show it lives up to the hype in almost every category except one.
    Kevin Conroy’s performance. Good god was he disappointing in this show. I loved him in the Arkham games but he was awful for the vast majority of this show. By the time they updated the animation style and brought in Tim Drake there was great improvement and he finally started to sound like his badass Arkham self. But for the first 70 episodes or so? Really bad compared to his latter work, often downright cringey.

Am I alone on this one? Or do a lot of people think it took a while for him to hit his stride?

I like his early BTAS voicework better. It sounds a little stuffy I guess and definitely less growly than his later work, but I found it to be more expressive. He kinda phoned it in for Arkham Knight IMO.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I like his early BTAS voicework better. It sounds a little stuffy I guess and definitely less growly than his later work, but I found it to be more expressive. He kinda phoned it in for Arkham Knight IMO.

For all of Arkham Knights shortcomings, personally he wasn’t one of them for me. I thought he was good in all 3 Arkham games. Killing Joke however, he and Hamill definitely either phoned it in were just miscast for Alan Moore’s Batman and Joker. Because I never really bought them as fitting the more conflicted Batman and Joker from that comic. The guys who voiced them in the Telltale games would have nailed it, imo.

You're crazy.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I’ve always thought Conroy was a bad actor lol.

Amazing Member

I don't know if it was the writing or his performance but I didn't like his Batman in Arkham City or Arkham Knight - had too much of a hard edge and none of the pathos from the Animated Series.

I enjoyed Conroy a lot in the Arkham games but even he expressed how difficult it is to record for those games compared to doing voicework for the cartoons/movies.

Astonishing Member

Seemed quite solid throughout to me.

I prefer first season honestly when you can tell there is a difference between Bruce and Batman.

I don't think it is blasphemy. I actually prefer Batman Brave and the Bold and Batman Beyond than BTAS and even prefer The Batman over TNBA

I don't think it's blasphemy at all, in fact Bruce Greenwood is my favorite animated voice. It's all subjective man.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I’ve finally finished binging Batman TAS, great show it lives up to the hype in almost every category except one.
    Kevin Conroy’s performance. Good god was he disappointing in this show. I loved him in the Arkham games but he was awful for the vast majority of this show. By the time they updated the animation style and brought in Tim Drake there was great improvement and he finally started to sound like his badass Arkham self. But for the first 70 episodes or so? Really bad compared to his latter work, often downright cringey.

Am I alone on this one? Or do a lot of people think it took a while for him to hit his stride?
    You're wrong

Astonishing Member

I grew up on B:TAS so I'm hardly unbiased in thinking that he's great, but I do think Conroy starts out a little hesitant and doesn't always hit his mark until finding a stride later on. I was thinking of the first season B:TAS episodes compared to like, how Batman comes across in Justice League, and I definitely think the JL/JLU Batman voice is more refined, confident and in addition to growly and stern ... cool. Like more chill. More Bat-Zen.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com