Default Would you like a story where humanity saved itself?

So we all like comics where super heroes defend humanity and save the world but would anyone else like a story where the Justice League and so on are not on Earth and the human race is able to save itself? I mean something I've never really seen in many stories is how humans can endure and survive a lot and to be blunt I love anime and manga and something that gets touched on a lot that doesn't get touched on in comics is how humans can have a capacity for cruelty.

I remember one movie where the antagonist in a movie who makes a point of saying that humans don't have claws or anything like that even says that the only thing that really sticks out is that they can cry. He then states that dispite all this human beings still became the dominant species on the planet and he says it's because of all the creatures on the planet humans are the most cruel.

This is something I've often thought would be interesting to see in comics like Darkseid attacks Earth and he expect it to be an easy victory without any of the main super heroes to protect it then he gets blindsided by a nuclear weapon or something like an atomic bomb and survives but is left horribly mangled and disfigured from the blast and is barely alive at the end of it.

I mean you always see how someone like Superman will say humanity is inherently good but it would be interesting if someone like Darkseid was beaten not by "goodness" but by regular humans using their intellect and primal need to survive and conquer.

Essentially something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    So we all like comics where super heroes defend humanity and save the world but would anyone else like a story where the Justice League and so on are not on Earth and the human race is able to save itself?
    That's usually the overwrought trope the suposedly non "Super-powered" Batman plays.
    Although as far as I know so far he's used everything in his arsenal except the Bat-Nuke. LOL!

Don't know what your clip is, but the tedious narration (show don't tell) and faux shaky-cam, made me want to stab my brain out.
    And not sure who the supposed human was, the guy with the lemur tail and turtle hat, or the limbless old guy with the onion-head pulling out his own heart?
    Looked cool I guess.

Kingdom Come had humanity nuking both meta villains and heroes alike in one fatal attempt to eliminate them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    ...that humans don't have claws or anything like that .... dispite all this human beings still became the dominant species on the planet and he says it's because of all the creatures on the planet humans are the most cruel.
    Eh, to survive, the cuckoo places it's egg in another birds nest, then when the new baby hatches, it intentionally pushes all the other birds actual eggs out, so it's the only one fed, and the only one to survive.

Meerkats kill nearly every one in every five members of its own species.

The mantis female eats the male during intercourse, does not bother to kill it before eating them: as soon as they start, she begins to consume him alive.

Wasps sting and use host organisms to lay its eggs in it. After the eggs hatch, the wasp larvae slowly consume the victim from inside out, leading to a slow, painful death.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-17-2019 at 08:27 PM.

You've got storylines like JLA Armageddon where Humanity does save itself.

Previous poster mentioned Batman, but Green Arrow also fits that bill of a normal guy in impossible odds.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Ordinary Citizens saving themselves, or helping the heroes significantly, is always good to see. Happy to see some shoutouts of stories where that happens (don't quite remember if I've read Armageddon). It's nice when it's in defense of or by some way of inspiration by the heroes.

Boisterously Confused

Isn't that the plot of that book by those Marx and Engels guys?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Isn't that the plot of that book by those Marx and Engels guys?
    "Ain't Nothin' but some Chains" is the reboot