Default Legendary Marvel Comics Artist Joe Sinnott Announces His Retirement

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-jo...tt-retirement/

What a carreer! One of the best inkers in the business. Made every artist he inked look better.

A well earned rest at 92.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Definitely an all-time great. He will be missed.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Not for nothing, but I thought Mr. Sinnott had retired long ago. But yeah, he definitely made EVERY penciller he worked with look great, Kirby, Romita Sr., the Buscema brothers, Perez, Byrne, the list goes on.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Seems like a lot of people in the comics biz live long productive lives -- retiring at 92 and Stan never retired at all.

Guess that's what happens when you love your job.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Seems like a lot of people in the comics biz live long productive lives -- retiring at 92 and Stan never retired at all.

Guess that's what happens when you love your job.
    Well, you know what they say: Love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

If the winner of this weeks cover contest needs a suggestion for the next contest.......
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The first time I went to the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame, the highlight for me was seeing pages of sports cartoons drawn by Joe Sinnott. He LOVED his baseball.

And I will repeat my controversial opinion that SINNOTT, not Kirby was the artistic power behind the Fantastic Four. Sure, Kirby's layouts and designs were powerful and a huge part of the book's appeal, but Sinnott gave the book its signature look for the first 20 years.

Sinnott is a great inker, maybe Kirby's best. But not only, Royer, Giaccioa, Klein and others did Kirby's pencils justice.

Astonishing Member

Actually from way back when i started reading comic books the inkers as the colorist were comic books creators that i noticed the less in the credits mentions.The writer and artist were always the creators of a comic book that i i was more aware that who was the inker.The exception to this have been the comic books inked by Joe Sinnott.Always when i picked up a comic book that had Joe Sinnott inking the art of the artist,were comics that i knew would be great art wise.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 03-23-2019 at 01:03 AM.

From Joe's Facebook page.

Joltin’ Joe wishes his thanks to all his fans and hopes you’ll look for his work he did a few months ago on MUTTS in tomorrow’s papers.

Though he’s retired from Marvel, commissions, and other gigs— Joe still loves drawing in his free time. As is the life of an artist! ✍��
    The strip appears March 24th.

Here is today's Mutts strip, inked by Jolt'n Joe. I don't know why it's sideways, my guess is to fit in the normal three panel space.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, you know what they say: Love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life.
    I just hope he kept working so long because he loved doing it, not because he had to.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!