Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well I guess the love for Miles is there, I just hope the writing sharpens up and gets a little meatier. I think the oversaturation of Peter Parker Spiderman is setting in. I think that there should have been two books for him at most, then effort should go to other Spiderverse characters.
    Well, SM/DP is ending soon so that'll leave just ASM and FNSM.

I wonder if Spider-Gwen is indication of how Spiderverse characters not named Spider-Man will sell.

I'm curious how Black Cat's upcoming ongoing will do. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't think the writer and Travel Foreman are the types to set the sales world on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I wonder if Friendly Neighborhood is just a really milquetoast name for a book.
    It definitely doesn't have the prestiege the Spectacular name does, but I think Spec also benefitted from being the first solo Spidey satellite in a long while (even if it initially wasn't much of a solo book).

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider selling less than Spider-Gwen?

Hope SpOck stays around.
    I'm far from surprised by this as the current run has not been very good IMO, so far at least.

I hope so too. *crosses fingers*

Edit - I find it interesting how Spider-Gwen received little if any sales boost from the success of the Spider-Verse movie (this in spite of being pushed hard by Disney in all of her incarnations).
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-18-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mentioned this before but relaunching Gwen's book only to have the first four issues be a tie-in to the Spider-Geddon event was a mistake. Those four issues really should've just been a mini-series leading to the relaunch of her book.

Miles' book seems like it has stabilized pretty nicely. Issues 1-3 have all gotten reorders, so balancing at the mid-thirties is solid stuff.

Oof at the Champions dive though. I'd argue the time to relaunch was probably when Zubb had originally taking over the writer duties from Waid. I like the direction the book is going in but at this rate I can't see it lasting long term unless it's really benefitting from those school book fair sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I wonder if Friendly Neighborhood is just a really milquetoast name for a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Dang, am I the only one who kind of likes FNSM? Even though I think PPSSM was better, I know that Taylor will kick it up a notch with issue 5 (the Peter/Aunt May issue)
    I'd like to say that part of it is it kind of lacks the same pull that Spectacular did when it launch. Spectacular launched at a time where Slott had been on Amazing for near a decade so it was the first true ongoing Spider-Man book for an alternative on the character.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    ....I'd like to say that part of it is it kind of lacks the same pull that Spectacular did when it launch. Spectacular launched at a time where Slott had been on Amazing for near a decade so it was the first true ongoing Spider-Man book for an alternative on the character.
    A great point. It capitalized on Slott fatigue (and hate as the poor guy certainly gets more than his fair share).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Wait, Dan doesn't really like Vulture, so before Speccy he wasn't in a book for years. Clearly those sales came from an intense demand for that handsome old buzzard!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Oof at the Champions dive though. I'd argue the time to relaunch was probably when Zubb had originally taking over the writer duties from Waid. I like the direction the book is going in but at this rate I can't see it lasting long term unless it's really benefitting from those school book fair sales.
    Yeah, I agree there, it should've been the first Fresh Start title, reset to #1 at last April's LGY #19. I'm still encountering people who think it's still Waid and haven't tried Zub's superior run. The reason? Because it didn't relaunch back then.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm far from surprised by this as the current run has not been very good IMO, so far at least.

I hope so too. *crosses fingers*

Edit - I find it interesting how Spider-Gwen received little if any sales boost from the success of the Spider-Verse movie (this in spite of being pushed hard by Disney in all of her incarnations).
    I'm not either. I dropped the book with #4.

Crossing my fingers for Superior Spider-Man as well. Hard to type like it .
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 03-18-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A great point. It capitalized on Slott fatigue (and hate as the poor guy certainly gets more than his fair share).
    I second that. Spencer, for now, is much better received than Slott was, and is freshly starting his run. But Taylor is facing two battles: following Zdarsky's surprise hit of a run and being the secondary title to Spencer's good run.

Incredible Member

I second that. Spencer, for now, is much better received than Slott was, and is freshly starting his run. But Taylor is facing two battles: following Zdarsky's surprise hit of a run and being the secondary title to Spencer's good run.
    Was this a really a hit? I know everyone talks of the Jonah issue and his final "ode to Spidey" issue. Not sure those define his entire run as a hit? He really had just 1 long dragging storyline for much of the run (tinkerer, time travel et al).

While it hasn't been near the quality of Latour and Rodriguez', I do think McGuire has been doing a good job with writing the character and making it fun, but yeah, starting it off with the Spider-Geddon tie-in and not having the series really start until Issue 5 was a mistake, that should've been number 1. Especially with Takeshi Miyazawa also being brought on as (seemingly) the new main artist.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Was this a really a hit? I know everyone talks of the Jonah issue and his final "ode to Spidey" issue. Not sure those define his entire run as a hit? He really had just 1 long dragging storyline for much of the run (tinkerer, time travel et al).
    Yeah, I'd say it was a hit. Even with those two issues, Zdarsky proved he understood Peter and Spider-Man. And you're forgetting the other stories mixed in there like "Amazing Fantasy" (my personal favorite), "Cracked Hourglass", and the awesome Annual. He didn't get a long run, but he got a really solid one.

I mentioned this before but relaunching Gwen's book only to have the first four issues be a tie-in to the Spider-Geddon event was a mistake. Those four issues really should've just been a mini-series leading to the relaunch of her book.
    "Well, we did it with one Spider-Woman, why not another" ?

I also just wonder if losing Latour and Rodriguez caused some people to tune out, because they were a big part of the original volume's (and Spider-Gwen's) appeal and they ended their run on such a finite note.
    Considering how long Moon Girl has been able to last on just those alone, I think Champions should be fine unless Marvel doesn't use those strictly as a barometer for certain titles.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I'd say it was a hit. Even with those two issues, Zdarsky proved he understood Peter and Spider-Man. And you're forgetting the other stories mixed in there like "Amazing Fantasy" (my personal favorite), "Cracked Hourglass", and the awesome Annual. He didn't get a long run, but he got a really solid one.
    Another fan here of Amazing Fantasy. No More also.

SpOck is doing pretty decent, yeah. Let's hope that continues. It's great.

Amazing Member

we like Venom @ #1