Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The mission statement is the same thing it's always been since Identity Crisis. It is Didio's mission statement. He literally has said he doesn't want or like happy heroes. I just don't get how you read things like Superboy, Teen Titans, New 52 superman, Azzarello Wonder Woman and think "oh yes this is modernized!" Nothing was modern about it, not any more modern than it was the year prior. It was just grimmer with darker themes, moodier and angrier characters, and a general harkening back to the 90s but with more focus on "maturity" and I say maturity in the most sarcastic and mocking way possible.

Rebirth tried to be different because, at the outset, it was headed by someone with different line running opinions than Didio. It was fairly obvious. Then Johns lost his power, Didio gained it back, and things went immediately back to the same stuff we've been getting since 2005.

The New 52's DNA is fundamentally the same thing as it was late into Post-Crisis because everything runs through Didio's opinions. New 52 was just what he was trying to do post-Identity Crisis without any of the years of history making it a transition. It just all happened at once, suddenly, and incredibly grimly.

Like seriously, you say the word "modernization." Tell me what that means. I'd be happy to tell you what dark and edgy and mature examples I have. I just want to know what about The New 52 launch was modern where the line wasn't a couple years prior.
    You and I just see things very differently then. I see a stark difference in tone from 2004-2011 and 2011-2016. I wasn't seeing rapes nor many incidences of established heroes going evil and killing other characters and the like. Not to say it was bereft of "dark" moments but no era is, even Rebirth had some. If you felt absolutely no differences, then that pretty much is that. What will my examples matter then? I'd be happy to provide them too but it's not going to change anything, we'll just be going back and forth in a monotonous circle that changes neither of our minds.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-20-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El