Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Howard Stark and Tony Stark

I decided to read “International Iron Man” by Bendis although everyone told me he suck lol I just wanted to have an understanding of Tony’s adoption story and all that mess.

And I realised, Howard isn’t as bad as I thought he was. He was actually looking out for his son. Tony is just an ungrateful spoiled brat

jokes aside though.

Was Howard really abusive? Or is it an MCU thing? I remember Tony having some dysfunctional relationship with his dad. But I didn’t get that vibe after reading international iron man. Howard was just a bit strict and stern.

Anyway leave your thoughts. I love reading people’s opinions.

Continuity is a mess when it comes to that character. Researching his appearances just leaves one more confused, not less. The direction Marvel seems to be currently going in is that he was a monster. But you can find individual stories that paint him as a myriad of mutually exclusive things.

Before this decade, Howard was barely a topic of conversation in the books, but he had his moments--

It was really in the 90's where the hard abuse stuff started--

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

So it could be tied to Tony's alcoholism. And while nowadays he's shown to be more mixed overall, the alcohol abuse stuff hasn't been wiped away, it was just referenced in Life of Captain Marvel last year. Overall, we could use more stories showing the broad strokes of Tony's youth. We generally just get little snapshots.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

……..Bendis

BANNED

When was Howard ever abusive in the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicer View Post
    he absolutely murdered some fondue.

I remember him forcing Tony to drink when he was a little boy as he said it would make a man out of him. I won’t even go into the whole adopting him to be a decoy for an alien android thing. Howard is a piece of **** for a father.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-18-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

iMan 42s

International Iron man isn't a bad book, it's just not a particularly great Iron man book.

Tony's relationship with Howard though pretty much doesn't make sense here.
    Howard was a hero in his own right, but at the end of the day he was an abusive ******* to his son. Tony does on some level care about him, but the relationship is built on "what could've been". Tony wanted a father and what little he could get out of him just made it all the worse when he was a jackass. Framing it like it was Tony's problem the whole time is not only disrespectful to continuity, but also offensive considering that its saying "maybe it really is you" as if because Bendis being a parent frames Howard Stark better.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dicer View Post
    I liked the version played by Dominic Cooper in the first Captain America movie. You could see the similarities between that version and Robert Downey Jr’s Tony. It’s a shame that we didn’t get a scene where Cap, who had a few scenes with Cooper’s version of Howard, talked to Tony about what his father was like.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I liked the version played by Dominic Cooper in the first Captain America movie. You could see the similarities between that version and Robert Downey Jr’s Tony. It’s a shame that we didn’t get a scene where Cap, who had a few scenes with Cooper’s version of Howard, talked to Tony about what his father was like.
    They had a scene, but it was a touchy subject for Tony. The implication was that Tony was constantly being compared to Steve, and coming up short

Astonishing Member

This is why it’s bad to have multiple authors. Too many contradictory interpretations. No one can be wrong; no one can be right.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I decided to read “International Iron Man” by Bendis although everyone told me he suck lol I just wanted to have an understanding of Tony’s adoption story and all that mess.

And I realised, Howard isn’t as bad as I thought he was. He was actually looking out for his son. Tony is just an ungrateful spoiled brat

jokes aside though.

Was Howard really abusive? Or is it an MCU thing? I remember Tony having some dysfunctional relationship with his dad. But I didn’t get that vibe after reading international iron man. Howard was just a bit strict and stern.

Anyway leave your thoughts. I love reading people’s opinions.
    I thought the first 5 issues of the series were really good but the last two explaining Tony’s parents were 2 of the worst issues I’ve ever read. Just completely inconsequential.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I remember him forcing Tony to drink when he was a little boy as he said it would make a man out of him. I won’t even go into the whole adopting him to be a decoy for an alien android thing. Howard is a piece of **** for a father.
    And then there was Aaron adding fuel to the fire by having Dracula mention that Howard was even willing to offer Tony to him for immortality and the only reason it didn’t happen is because Dracula doesn’t take handouts from Starks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And then there was Aaron adding fuel to the fire by having Dracula mention that Howard was even willing to offer Tony to him for immortality and the only reason it didn’t happen is because Dracula doesn’t take handouts from Starks.
    I don't know if that's true or if Dracula is messing with Tony's mind, but the fact we can even think it's true is the point.