Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Being on a rampage is not the same as being a bad ass. I feel like him siding with the Jackal during the clone saga, and almost beating the Sin-Eater to death were examples of him losing his cool. But I felt disappointed in him during those times, not in awe of his coolness.
    Yeah I know how you feel.

The times when he was able to gain Shang-Chi twice count more as badass despite him not fighting.

Spidey from "If This Be My Destiny...!"
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-01-2022 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Mighty Member

Of course Spider-Man lifting the wreckage off of him after fighting the Master Planner... There's a REASON why that specific scene gets referenced so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Practically every episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.
    A special shout out to the first fight against the Sinister Six...what he did to Sandman was UNFORGIVABLE...then again...would that count? It wasn't really Spider-Man fighting...if not, then I'll change that moment to Spidey being the one to take out Silvermane, The Master Planner, and The Big Man in the episode Gangland.

All of Back in Black was good because it showed just how scarily effect Peter is when he's focused. No worrying. No jokes. No quips. Just all of that significant brain power focused totally on kicking your ass. And what makes it more badass is that he DIDN'T kill Kingpin. So even in his rage and anger, he DIDN'T fly off the handle. He was calm, collected and that was scary as ****.

Another moment that stands out to me is his death in the Ultimate universe and the lead up to it. He's hurt. He's dying and the only thing he can think of is protecting others. THAT, is Spider-Man.

He-proved-himself.jpg

This says it all.

Astonishing Member

Here's a question I have for everyone.

Why is the 'Back in Black' period acclaimed, but the "I AM THE SPIDER!" period from the early to mid 90s regarded very poorly?

They're both essentially the same grim, gritty and deathly serious interpretation of Spidey. They both follow his obsessed actions in the wake of tragedy, where he's pretty much Spidey 24/7. (Funnily enough, they both also involve May being in a coma and near death)

Why is the 'Back in Black' period acclaimed, but the "I AM THE SPIDER!" period from the early to mid 90s regarded very poorly?

They're both essentially the same grim, gritty and deathly serious interpretation of Spidey. They both follow his obsessed actions in the wake of tragedy, where he's pretty much Spidey 24/7. (Funnily enough, they both also involve May being in a coma and near death)
    I think it's a "I am the Spider" came across as more silly and weird than serious. Peter "lost his mind" over her parents and such, and one could understand how that drove him over the edge, but in "Back in Black", he was at the end of his rope. A lifetime of BS that happens to this dude just made him go "f*** it, I don't care" was the catalyst he needed to wear the Black Suit again. In other words, it felt far more natural. Plus, the execution is believable and feels more like a reasonable end to JMS' run.

BANNED

It's the case of execution being better as opposed to the idea itself being bad. A grim and gritty approach and so on is not inherently a bad thing. Just like a goofball charming and laidback approach isn't inherently good.

Context is also important: "I am the Spider" is tied to the idiotic "Robotparents" story, and Maximum Carnage which is a controversial story, and editor Danny Fingeroth forced the Robotparents on David Michelinie despite the fact that Fingeroth didn't have any idea what to do with that story, and Michelinie didn't care and spent months trying to spin wheels on stuff he had no idea what to do with. So "I am the Spider" is silliness piled on silliness, followed by even more silliness (the clone saga).

In ''Back in Black'', it's tied to Mark Millar's Civil War (it broke Maximum Carnage's record as best-selling event btw) and Spider-Man supporting Tony's faction, and his identity being outed. The stakes are very high, Peter's identity is outed, and Kingpin used that to attack him and his Aunt got shot. Peter went from supporting Tony to supporting Cap, i.e. he ended up backing the losing side (even if it was the morally correct side). "Back in Black" as a status-quo was also ably supplemented by other writers. Aguirre-Sacassia got some good issues out of it in Sensational and of course you've got Fraction's great annual.

There's also the fact that this story was immediately followed by OMD and the early BND era which was a huge comedown in quality, so it benefits as a last hurrah to a classic run.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's the case of execution being better as opposed to the idea itself being bad. A grim and gritty approach and so on is not inherently a bad thing. Just like a goofball charming and laidback approach isn't inherently good.

Context is also important: "I am the Spider" is tied to the idiotic "Robotparents" story, and Maximum Carnage which is a controversial story, and editor Danny Fingeroth forced the Robotparents on David Michelinie despite the fact that Fingeroth didn't have any idea what to do with that story, and Michelinie didn't care and spent months trying to spin wheels on stuff he had no idea what to do with. So "I am the Spider" is silliness piled on silliness, followed by even more silliness (the clone saga).

In ''Back in Black'', it's tied to Mark Millar's Civil War (it broke Maximum Carnage's record as best-selling event btw) and Spider-Man supporting Tony's faction, and his identity being outed. The stakes are very high, Peter's identity is outed, and Kingpin used that to attack him and his Aunt got shot. Peter went from supporting Tony to supporting Cap, i.e. he ended up backing the losing side (even if it was the morally correct side). "Back in Black" as a status-quo was also ably supplemented by other writers. Aguirre-Sacassia got some good issues out of it in Sensational and of course you've got Fraction's great annual.

There's also the fact that this story was immediately followed by OMD and the early BND era which was a huge comedown in quality, so it benefits as a last hurrah to a classic run.
    There are some differences in concept, but the execution and talent involved matter. Both stories have solid creative teams on the main book, although Back in Black had writing by Peter David, Matt Fraction, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, while "Peter Parker No More" had Howard Mackie, Terry Kavanaugh and Mike Lackey (just a guy I can't recollect ever hearing about) on the satellites.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Thanks. I actually agree with you guys. Just thought the comparison would make for some interesting discussion. And it did!