View Poll Results: Are you a Star Trek person Or Star Wars one?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Trek for life, I'm a trekkie!

12 33.33%
  • Star Wars, may the Force be with you.

9 25.00%
  • I like both the same

15 41.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are you an Star Trek person Or an Star Wars one?

Are you an Star Trek person Or much prefer Star Wars?

While I like some Star Wars movies, I'm definitely a big Star Trek fan. I love a lot of it (not all, though). I discovered both at about the same time, but it was Trek with the original series, its stories and characters what captivated me. Captain Kirk and Mr Spock are among my top 5 fave fictional characters.

I guess there are people who just like both about the same?

BANNED

There are parts of the Star Wars lore that I love, and there's so much of the expanded universe stuff that I still want to delve into. Overall Star Trek is more inspiring and has a more powerful message; its impact on science fiction television and really most space-oriented fiction nowadays is severely understated. So many groundbreaking moments and barriers broken throughout the decades. There's so much of the Star Trek universe to see whereas Star Wars mostly focuses on a single piece of its lore and a certain set of characters and their legacy with the same overarching storyline. Star Trek explores humanity and advancing human progress, through diplomacy and kindness and of course science to help.

Star Trek unfortunately has suffered from a long history of production issues in different projects and serious dips up and down in quality over the years, and the Kelvin timeline even though it has its fans was a huge mistake in my opinion. The core idea and values of Star Trek got lost along the way but I'm grateful there are still Star Trek shows being made and that the brand is alive. This is what kids should be growing up on. Star Trek is more important to me but writers have never taken it in the direction they should

Star Wars however is thriving, maybe a little too much. We'll see, I haven't hated any of the new movies but I wasn't a big fan of Last Jedi.

Star Trek is deeper and more diverse. Plus the best Star Trek movie (Wrath of Kahn) is better than the best Star Wars movie (Empire), and the worst Star Wars movie (Last Jedi) is worse than the worst Star Trek movie (Insurrection).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Like both but prefer Star Wars.

Retired

I was a little boy when STAR TREK came on the TV screen for the first time. I was eleven years older by the time STAR WARS came out in the theatres.

Those that are big STAR WARS fans seem to have discovered it when they were kids, which would have been impossible for me. In 1966, I was reading lots of science fiction books from the school library, following the NASA space progarm and looking forward to the day when man would walk on the moon, and I had already seen lots of other science fiction programs on TV like THE OUTER LIMITS and LOST IN SPACE. So STAR TREK hit me at the right age. And it helped that my sister was as big a fan as me (maybe bigger), so it was something I could share with her.

The first time I saw STAR WARS, it reminded me of Gerry Anderson Supermarionation--but I had just worked a long day onboard ship and I fell asleep through half of the movie. I did come around to like it okay and I read the Marvel comic books. But I never had the same passion for it. I thought it was goofy and not really science fiction. Of course, a lot of super-hero comics aren't real science fiction either. But it just didn't matter to me. As a hopeful vision of the future, STAR TREK spoke to me and seemed to be based on things in the real world.

I don't have the religious fervour for either that some have--and I haven't watched their latest movie or TV offerings--but I can understand why fans are disillusioned with both.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I guess there are people who just like both about the same?
    Yep, I'm one of them. I'm generally a bit more of a Trekkie, but I have found the new Star Wars content to be more enjoyable then the most recent Star Trek stuff (haven't had a chance to DSC yet, but I am looking forward to it). Both are different enough that they fill different niches in the genre, IMHO.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Star Trek, I think they've taken on far greater challenges in storytelling and had much more success doing so. The Next Generation was simply a brilliant show, nothing in the Star Wars lore compares.

Star Wars is fun, the movies are mostly solid, but it's just never fascinated me like Star Trek. There are rich, deep conversations going on in Star Trek about great philosophical questions. I love that.

Star Trek, but I'm not going to kick Star Wars out of bed.

BANNED

Pre-reboots they are on totally equal footing for me, very different but each as enjoyable as the other. Post reboots, they are also on totally equal footing. Disastrous and not worth my time

I like both but if I had to choose Trek definitely Trek IMO has 8 Good to Great movies TWOK, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, Beyond, TMP, Search for Spock, and Star Trek (2009). Also 5 TV shows I love with TOS, TNG, DS9, ENT, & VOY.

While Star Wars has 5 movies that are Good to Great to me Empire Strikes Back, ROTJ, A New Hope, Force Awakens, & Rogue One and two TV series I like Clone Wars and Rebels.

By the numbers alone Trek wins.

I am team Sci fi shows seriously Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica ,Andromeda, Stargate, Farscape, Firefly, Orville, The Expanse, Killjoys, Lost in Space, Dark Matter, Dune etc Why I am just picking from those two franchises. Yeah I like Star Trek and Star Wars as well. Star Trek does better on TV, Star Wars does better as movie franchise. The two of them are trying to accomplish different things it feels weird to compare them other than they are two of most popular sci fi franchise and they have Star in their names.

Final thoughts

- Star Wars was beating the crap out of Star Trek in terms of action but JJ abrams Movies and Discovery has done a great job of making Star Trek viable action franchise which some fans might hate

- Star Wars definitely has better video games

Trek, Wars wastes too much time on space wizards.

Star Wars, definitely

Niffleheim

Star Trek. I find Star Wars live movies boring however I love the animation (minus the current monstrosity)

BANNED

Both of them.