Boisterously Confused

Default DC Comics Very Best Villian is ...?

Who is it? Which of the despicables deserve the title of The Worst!?! ...and why?

Extraordinary Member

Lex Luthor because he's a serious threat to Superman.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Dan Didio!

Jokes aside, Darkseid has essentially been built into the antagonist of the DC Universe. It's shameful, really. They have a solid stable of villains with potential, but you're either Darkseid or someone to job to the Justice League in three issues. They need to really invest on building their universe more evenly rather than pushing the one thing that works until it breaks or floods the market.

I am really sick to death of Darkseid and The Joker. Lex has thankfully taken a backseat for a while other than in Snyder's JLA (having reformed for a moment and Bendis taking him off the table in his work), but he's the other candidate. Maybe Brainiac.

Mighty Member

Ed Peale, The Gong.

Top three are pretty much Joker, Darkseid, and Luthor.

They're, like, the most recognizable "worst of the worst" of DC villains.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

This is a tough one, but I would have to go with Lex Luthor.

I think he's the most complex, at least with how he's been depicted over the past 20 years or so. He's a villain who doesn't realize he's the villain because he's convinced himself his actions are for the betterment of humanity, and to thwart the superhero interference in human affairs. I also appreciate the fact that he's one of the few, non-meta villains around, even though writers have cheated and given him powers periodically.

A close second for me would be The Joker but the one problem I have with The Joker is that his role is almost strictly defined by Batman's existence. Whenever DC has tried to use him in other stories outside of the Batverse it hasn't really worked very well (generally speaking). But I do love the insanity and total chaotic nature of the character.

I think for me it's Lex Luthor, since I like complex multi-layered villains. Lex can be used as anything from a mad scientist to an evil corporate elitist, to a xenophobic bigot to a self-made man disillusioned with humanity, to a reluctant ally, etc. Lex has always been a really fascinating character for me so I gotta go with him.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    This is a tough one, but I would have to go with Lex Luthor.

I think he's the most complex, at least with how he's been depicted over the past 20 years or so. He's a villain who doesn't realize he's the villain because he's convinced himself his actions are for the betterment of humanity, and to thwart the superhero interference in human affairs. I also appreciate the fact that he's one of the few, non-meta villains around, even though writers have cheated and given him powers periodically.

A close second for me would be The Joker but the one problem I have with The Joker is that his role is almost strictly defined by Batman's existence. Whenever DC has tried to use him in other stories outside of the Batverse it hasn't really worked very well (generally speaking). But I do love the insanity and total chaotic nature of the character.
    Yeah I think Luthor is the most interesting because of his philosophy. At his best, he challenges the very reason for superheroes to exist, which is more interesting than any super-powered punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think for me it's Lex Luthor, since I like complex multi-layered villains. Lex can be used as anything from a mad scientist to an evil corporate elitist, to a xenophobic bigot to a self-made man disillusioned with humanity, to a reluctant ally, etc. Lex has always been a really fascinating character for me so I gotta go with him.
    Excellent list of descriptors.

Astonishing Member

Joker then Lex Luthor and Darkseid

Astonishing Member

DC has so many great villains, I'm not sure comparing them woul be apples to apples. From Black Adam to Black Hand to Captain Cold, they're all great villains.

I guess right now, if I have to pick one, I would go with Amanda Waller.

Lex Luthor (perfect neutral-evil), then the Joker (perfect chaotic-evil), then Darkseid (perfect lawful-evil).

I really wish I could honestly include the Cheetah, but she is so far underdeveloped compared to those 3. Sigh. The Evil Trinity is still so far from a reality.

Black Adam!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

Amanda Waller !